It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid Watch [New York Times]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Asteroid Watch [New York Times]

www.spacenews.com

Former NASA astronaut Russell Schweickart argues in the New York Times that asteroids deserve closer attention for a variety of reasons, most notably the possibility that a large one could slam into Earth someday with devastating results. Schweickart recently co-authored a report that said funding for asteroid detection and deflection capabilities should be included in NASA's annual budget.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This reminds me of what the pioneer rocket scientist laying on his death bed confided in Dr. Carol Rosin his fears about the weaponization of space. He identified the scare tactics that would convince the public to accept that space-based weapons need to be built.
He made this prediction in the early 70's what these artificial threats would consist of:

1. Russians / Communists
2. Terrorists
3. Third-world Country "Crazies" / Axis of Evil / Nations of Concern
4. Asteroids
5. Aliens (extraterrestrials)

4rt Card in progress?

www.spacenews.com
edit on 27-10-2010 by RUSSO because: add

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Im guessin hes part of the 'lets weaponize space to save us from the asteroids' agenda?
i dont buy it. never have, never will
nasa is playing a dangerous game

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pkpuck

Yep, i agree.

As if bombs were able to stop an asteroid. Maybe, but i dont think so.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO

If there were an actual hostile alien race that threatened our existence, no weapon we possess would defeat them. If they have the technology and the "man-power" (so to speak) to attempt an invasion, no amount of weaponization of space will stop it.

In short, we would get our asses kicked.

As for the article and the weaponization space, I see no purpose for it. The agenda is a one world government. With all people falling under one government, the only purpose for weaponizing space would be to deter a threat from a hostile alien race, in which case I refer you back to the statement made before this paragraph.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PETROLCOIN

I agree, if at all they are hostile, they will just drop a virus here to exterminate the mass of humans and then would end the service with those who remained. Then they would kill the virus they would have dropped. Simple as that.

I think if they were hostile and mankind was not killed yet isbecause they need us for something. Perhaps for labor.

Or (and I prefer to think so) they are not hostile and are just curious about ourselves

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

This reminds me of what the pioneer rocket scientist laying on his death bed confided in Dr. Carol Rosin his fears about the weaponization of space. He identified the scare tactics that would convince the public to accept that space-based weapons need to be built.
He made this prediction in the early 70's what these artificial threats would consist of:

1. Russians / Communists
2. Terrorists
4. Asteroids

4rt Card in progress?

www.spacenews.com

I hear a lot of NWO fear-speak going on about the often alluded to "extraterrestrial threat" used to get the people in line. It was mentioned by Reagan, among many other sources.

perhaps this "extraterrestrial threat" is less alien, and more meteoric?

BTW, love your avatar. You are like the "bigfatfurryPleidian"

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

It really amazes me that this type of monitary system isnt already in play to watch for these incomming events. When I start to consider certain conspiracy theories about inner earth Terrestials it makes me question their technology somewhat. But on the other hand if they are not our friends then they just dont give a care really about above grounders which is sad... Seems impossible at times to get all these species on the same level of thinking together. But I do stress seems.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The article doesn't talk about the weaponisation of space. It talks about setting up a comprehensive system to track threat asteroids and to conduct proper research into deflection techniques. Maybe even trying out some ahead of time. Its all very sensible. Pity it will be ignored.

Its amazing how complacent most are. I blame hollywood for perpetuating the notion that a square jaw and derring do is a substitute for planning ahead. Sadly, its not.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I think that there is no extraterrestrial threat at all.

It's just a matter of maintaining power.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

...detection and deflection capabilities

Seems pretty like its always starts. Nice words that end in weapons and more control.

Just as always.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
or even imagine if they put the weapons up there and then one fires down onto earth and the et's get the blame for it, causing us to panic and sign the one world contract!!. thats if disclosure hadnt happened by then.
But i would like to think that if et's have been shutting down nuke missiles then whatever they do put up there could easily be disarmed right? with their capabilities. i think the only danger to them would possibly be elctro-magnetic weps but maybe not.
Anyway alot of possibilites but still no real answers hey....

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I think that there is no extraterrestrial threat at all.

It's just a matter of maintaining power.

Thus, my reason for quotation marks.

There was that lady that said Werner Von Braun told her that TPTB will keep trumping up enemies to keep the peoples alarm on high.

When they mention 'extraterrestrial threat", they don't have to intend aliens. Have we not seen lots of Chicken Little's over the asteroids? They even made a bunch of blockbuster movies about it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Bombs are not necessarily the answer to asteroids. Its one tool but in many ways not the best. Thats not the point of it. The point is you have to:

1. Spot it early.
2. Have a means of getting there.
3. Know how to determine the composition and what techniques work against what type.

We are woefully unprepared at present. If we detected a planet killer with 6 months warning today we would all die. People would run around screaming 'save us govt save us', then die. Others would say 'save us lord save us' then die.

I find extinction out of pure stupidity to be less than satisfactory.

Maybe the ants or cockroaches will do better....

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Any attempt to deflect or destroy an incoming meteor would necessarily be an international effort, and would not amount to a "militarization" of space. The irony is that some people fear international co-operation more than they fear the possibility of mass extinction.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

1. Russians / Communists
2. Terrorists
4. Asteroids

4rt Card in progress?

www.spacenews.com

It just seems logical that we would weaponize space... I think predictions of this is as easy as predicting anything... It doesn't take a genius

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Not genius, but smart. Perhaps too smart (in a bad way).

So smart that weapons in space could be our last made

edit on 27-10-2010 by RUSSO because: fix

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Indeed.

Funny thing.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pkpuck

I think the only danger is what we can do to ourselves.

Sad, but true.

edit on 27-10-2010 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join