It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Trumbull County, Ohio UFO Incident of December 14, 1994

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
This UFO "incident" is one that has got my attention as of recently.
During the early of December 14th, 1994, Trumbull County 911 in Youngstown, Ohio started receiving calls around midnight from residents saying that one or more unidentified flying objects had been sighted around several neighborhoods close to Youngstown. The first actual call about the ufos came into Liberty Townships' own dispatch office just before midnight. The first caller, a female, reported an object flying at a very low altitude close to her residence. It was after this when police units started reporting on the objects in several different townships. One of the officers assigned to the call to find out what it was that was causing the disturbance stated, "That after he had gotten through with talking to a gentleman that was walking his dog, this bright, white light appeared out of nowhere and completely turned off his patrol car's engine and radio.

That is when officers from at least three other townships sighted the objects flying at a low altitude. One officer even stated that he could clearly make out a structure above the flashing lights. This was accomplished with the use of high powered binoculars according to the officer that had described the object over the radio to the dispatcher. It was believed that it was only one unidentified flying object which was causing all of the ruckus. That was until an officer with Liberty Township climbed up to the top of an old radar site just outside of Cortland Township. This radar post was said to be the highest vantage point in Trumbull County. It was then that he realized that these were not any fixed wing aircraft or helicopter. When giving his account over the radio to the dispatcher, he clearly stated that he had four distinct colors flashing in front of him. Those colors were red, green, yellow, and blue and they were changing colors in tandem with each other. Now what is strange about this is that he also states that he sighted aircraft taking off from the National Guard base in Vienna. Could these craft have been scrambled to go and "check" to see what exactly was being sighted by these officers and the general public?

It was after the first call that authorities at the Air National Guard base in Vienna, Ohio was notified of the occurances. When contacted, the base stated that they did not have any known flights that would have been in the area of Youngstown at the time. When the first reports started to come in, the dispatcher on duty was told to notify the Federal Aviation Administration's Regional Office for Northeast Ohio. When contact was made with the FAA, which is at the the base, the controller on duty stated that he had no visual or radar on anything with in a sixty mile radius of Youngstown. Just to give you guys an idea of where the Youngstown-Warren Regional Airport is. It is located off of Interstate 70 between Youngstown and Warren, Ohio. The Air National Guard base in question is on the same premisses as the airport. If the controller did not have a visual or a radar hit on any of the objects. If this is the case, then it is contrary to what the civilians and the police officers were reporting to 911.

At the same time that the call came was placed to the FAA Tower at the airport, an officer from Howland Township and a security guard at the base also had visual on the object from where they were at. It just so happened to be that the officer and the security guard were standing next to each other when the both of them had visuals on the objects as well. Then if these two folks also had a clear visual on the objects. Then why did the operator in the control tower at the airport state differently?
What is not widely known about this is that a news reporter from WYNT-TV 33 out of Youngstown had been made aware of the ufos being seen in the area due to several phone calls that had came into the television station reporting the objects. It was then that the reporter decided to investigate the incident. When investigating, she had discovered that after the sightings had ceased, the controllers that were on duty at the time of the sightings had been transferred to other airports in the area. This reporter was also heard on the 911 tapes on the events of that December night inquiring about the ufo situation that was going on. Also, this reporter was aware of both the security guard from the air base and the officer from Howland Township both having visuals on the object.
There are a few questions that I still have about the incident and they are as follows:
1. Why was an FAA controller at the closest airport saying that he had no visual or radar contact with any objects within sixty miles of Youngstown, Ohio? When it was clear to the police dispatchers and their superior officers that officers out in the field were reporting that at least three distinct objects had been sighted and documented by officers that had witnessed the crafts flying over. If he "said" that he could not see anything from either his vantage point or on radar. What about the officer from Howland Township and the guard at the air base who also had a visual on the objects at the same time the officers from the other townships? Where these officers seeing something that FAA operator had absolutely refused to pay attention to even though the controller was located at the top of a seventy foot high building? I would think that if you are up in a seventy foot high air traffic control tower, you would at least be able to see what the people on the ground were seeing.

2. Did the FAA controller also see the objects but stated otherwise when contacted by the chief dispatcher for Trumbull County 911?

3. When the incident was taking place that night, why were fighter jets from the air base scrambled to intercept and investigate what was being sighted? Had the air traffic controllers somehow got in contact with the base commander who then ordered the aircraft to be sent up after these unidentified flying objects?

4. When a reporter from the local television station had called both the 911 center and the air guard base. A) Why did the FAA controllers at the airport state that there wasn't anything in the air around the area when it was clear to people on the ground that there was? B) Why did the base commander state that he did not have or know of any fighter jets when at least four jets were scrambled to go and investigate?

5. Why had this news reporter kept what she had found out about that night in the dark for at least four years until she was interviewed by a ufo investigator from Cincinatti? Could it be that she was afraid that the News Director would get a hold of the story and make a mockery of the dispatchers at the Trumbull County 911 Center?

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Thought I would add some info for you buddy.

www.ufocasebook.com...

www.ufoinfo.com...

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I always miss the big UFO events. Lived in Trumbull County many years but moved before this. Had relatives that lived right across from the Indian Valley nuke plant but was not there for the Hudson Valley wave. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have none at all.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Thanks Drums. I'll be sure to look at those when I get the chance.
reply to

post by UFO Partisan

That is some seriously bad luck there. In my opinion, The Hudson Valley Wave has got to be one of the best accounts of hundreds of mass ufo sightings that have went on for centuries. I mean one sighting did stop traffic
on the New York State Thruway.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

I love this case and have the full tapes saved. It's a nuisance that the media upload is AWOL.

There's a classic moment towards the end of the incident when a sheriff sees a light approaching him. "Oh god! Oh god! Please be a plane. Oh please let it be a plane!" The emotion in his voice brings the reality of a sighting like this to life.

We wouldn't know anything about it if not for the late Kenny Young. He discovered the tapes almost by accident. There hadn't been a cover-up or anything weird, the Trumbull office had just stored the tapes with all the others and forgotten all about it. Makes you wonder how many other incidents could be lying around on cassette tapes in police basements?

You can hear the full incident on the excellent Strange Days Indeed UFO Podcasts. It's hosted by Errol Bruce Knapp and he interviews Kenny Young as well as playing the majority of the tapes.

Part 1 - Right click save as

Part 2 - Right click save as

There's also a wmv file available...Here! (right click save as...) This clip cuts off before the cop gets scared, but it's still a good file for the archives.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, didn't he stumble upon this case by accident while looking for an alledged ufo crash around the town of Liberty, Ohio in July of 1988? I believe that he was given the phone numbers to Liberty Township Police and Trumbull County 911 instead of the town of Liberty, Ohio's police department. This case wasn't the first time that a police department or departments from Ohio were involved in a ufo sighting. On the morning of April 17th, 1966, several departments were involved in the actual pursuit of a UFO for a half an hour from Northeast Ohio to Northwestern Pennsylvania. That report itself may have been Steven Spielberg's inspiration behind the ufos being chased by the police from Close Encounters of the Third Kind in which several objects were pursued from Northeastern Indiana over into Ohio by Indiana State Police.

On another note, the area in and around Cleveland and Lake Erie has been a hotbed of ufo activity over at least the past three and a half decades. I had actually found audio of people calling into WTAM 1100 in Cleveland pertaining to a wave of sightings from Euclid, Ohio to Portage, Ohio to Cleveland, Ohio, and all the way over into Pennsylvania. These people had called in during the evening due to where someone had called in to WTAM's morning radio show stating that they had witnessed a ufo the previous night. I just wish that I could find those audio clips again so that you guys could listen to them.
edit on 27-10-2010 by gimmefootball400 because: Turned out the links did not work

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
While looking for more about the Trumbull County Case, I stumbled upon a case in Trumbull County from July of 1968. In this case, the pilot and passengers of a Cessna 172 Skyhawk were actually chased by an unidentified flying object in the skies over Youngstown and Warren, Ohio. Both pilots in the aircraft reported that they were flying over the Youngstown-Warren area at around 4,000 feet when they spotted the object and decided to check it out. When the aircraft approached the object, the unknown craft swiftly gained altitude and then proceeded to chase the aircraft. As with the Trumbull County Incident some twenty five years later, the control tower at the Youngstown Municipal Airport received calls from the public stating that "Two aircraft were involved in a dogfight over the skies of Warren that night."

Another case from the many UFO files of Northeastern Ohio.

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Great post mate and there's an update page below featuring videos and other info about the case - the graphics on the video are a bit cheesy but the police audio dispatch recordings realy are very interesting.

link

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I realize this thread is a few months old, but I was searching for more information on the Trumbull county UFO incident after hearing the calls and I found this thread.

You can listen to the tapes and Kenny Young's story on this playlist. There is some interesting information from callers who call in towards the end of this playlist.

As there are always TWO SIDES to every story, I have found this interview with the police officers and 911 Dispatcher.

Did anything ever come of this?

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NaeBabii

The guy at the end of your second video should have been confronted by the police officer on film. He is a complete embarrassment.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualarchitect
reply to post by NaeBabii

The guy at the end of your second video should have been confronted by the police officer on film. He is a complete embarrassment.

Do you mean James Mcgaha with his 'twinkling stars' explanation?

Yes, he is.

posted on Jan, 16 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Trumbull County incident also covered in this programme along with the Holland and Illinois police UFO cases.

Police tapes, video, and the testimony of a radar operator suggest something very strange was seen over Ohio in 1994; Holland, Michigan in 1994; and Millstadt, Illinois in 2000.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Great recent(ish) documentary on the case with new witness interviews and timeline of events:

TV Documentary link

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

What was the name of the special effects guy who did "Close Encounters?" Douglas..... (Hint nearly the same as the county name) and isn't he putting together a stereo photographic system for UFOs?

Just occurs to me as another strange name coincidence that different researchers have noticed and might be a big clue as to what's going on.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

Yup, exact same name; doug trumbull of ufotog.

What are the chances?

freaky

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

NaeBabii
I realize this thread is a few months old, but I was searching for more information on the Trumbull county UFO incident after hearing the calls and I found this thread.

You can listen to the tapes and Kenny Young's story on this playlist. There is some interesting information from callers who call in towards the end of this playlist.

As there are always TWO SIDES to every story, I have found this interview with the police officers and 911 Dispatcher.

Did anything ever come of this?

New vid links.

Police dispatch recordings:

Documentary:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I have a buddy who lives in Geauga county (near Chardon) and last week said that he saw and heard something that lit the area up like a transformer blew out (Blue/White light but it kept changing positions). He said it was accompanied by a pulsating humming noise. He didn't see the actual source, but that it lit up the area for quite a distance. He texted me at 4:45AM.

His neighbors came over last night and said they saw it again Saturday night.

I've poked around the web and cannot find any reference to these two events. Has anyone else from the area seen anything recently?

posted on Oct, 22 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Further eye-witness testimony from citizens and police officers on this video:

A series of unusual events unfolded on December 14, 1994, in Trumbull County, Ohio.Just after midnight on a late Fall night, a series of calls was received by 911 operators.

top topics

join