It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Prices Expected to Rise Sharply

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Well, we knew it would eventually happen. Food prices going up = less people can feed their families = more deaths due to lack of nutrition. *cough* population reduction *cough*.

According to the USDA, that is going to change. In its most recent CPI report for food, the USDA reported that prices are expected to rise in 2011. For all food, prices are expected to rise two to three percent, which is double the levels of 2010. Meat prices are expected to rise up to 3.5 percent, and dairy 5.5 percent. "The forecast for 2011, that remains unchanged, but it's moving to the higher part of that range," said Ephraim Leibtag, who serves as a senior economist for the USDA and out together the report. He added, "The potential to go above that is more likely if current commodity price increases remain where they are or rise even more."

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I foresee an increase in grocery store robberies in the future. They'd have to realize this as a consequence to their contingency. Its all a part of planned anarchy to get people to rally beneath... I mean behind a New World Government.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I hope the USDA is right in their estimates. I suspect, at least for the short term, price increases will be much higher than they are estimating because speculators have been running up prices on grains spectacularly lately... like 30% in the last 90 days. Remeber gas prices when the speculators ran the price of oil up to $150 a barrel?

Here's a thread where the OP works at a feed store and tells of the price increases they're already seeing.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This reminds me of a video I saw, the beginning is the higher prices, then there will be no more food left on the shelves.

Empty Store Shelves Coming to America

This may be in the near future.

Peace, NRE

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
as if we can't afford to eat healthy already but a mcdonalds burger only cost you a buck...not to mention TBTB already dont want us growing our own food...id would rather suffer a nuke for population control than starvation

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Scalded Frog

Im pretty confident it is an underestimate. Thats whats scary. A vast number of people are already barely able to keep up, not to mention the people that have already fallen under the line.

I just don't understand why the majority of the population is not concerned about this.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
What i would like to know is the extent of hunger in the U.S ,are people begging on the streets,are people scrounging rubbish dumps for food? or does this price rise mean you can no longer buy beer and cigarettes or go to the movies.I just want an idea of what level of poverty is taking hold.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Yes, there is some of that in America. What this will lead to in the short term, though is an even smaller middle class. More people livign on sub-par food and others growing their own food (myself included come spring). Sure we are not as bad off as some places yet, but we have farther to fall.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Just wait until unemployment payments are stopped. Get ready for a bumpy ride--and if you have a yard, no matter what the size, start growing food this spring. Every little bit will help.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
What's going to happen this next year and the following one have been forecast for some time.

Two years ago the Hopi gave out a statement before christmas asking if we knew our garden, or where clean water was for us, and whether we were in "right relation".. not relationships, but your relationship with everything. Which could mean are you being aware and feeling the changes going on around you?

In the same period I told people that things were going to get very tight from late 2008 onwards, until the chains of supply are empty, until the money in our wallets would have no value, and that it was important from '09 onwards to learn how to grow food in containers that you can bring indoors at night to stop thieves taking it, etc.

People thought I was nuts... that's okay. I've been watching the steady increases in everything, food, electricity, fuel, water, land and housing bubble, and every other service you can imagine.

Here's a small example of the changes I noted for me....

Three years ago I was paying rent from my pension, putting my girl through high school, running a vehicle, smoking cigarettes, having an occasional drink with friends, having weekly chiropractic sessions and could still afford a day out at the motor races nearby or a picnic in the mountains as well as letting my girl go to the cinema with friends, etc.

Today, my power bill is three times what it was then, fuel is 30% dearer as is everything else vehicle related, food costs me twice what it did then, rent has increased by 30% and the landlord is threatening to make us pay for every drop of water used, the school has increased it's Fees again this year and related school trips are now easily twice what they were then, I cannot afford to smoke.. (good thing).. I have to lay-buy new tyres, can't afford to go out of town on the weekends, can't afford the Dentist or Chiropractor, the Government in its wisdom took $470 per month off my income because my girl turned 16 last month....and, we are now running out of money with 4 or 5 days left to the next pension day. At least all the bills get paid first.

Oh, and I'm not a bludger, I was pensioned-off for injuries.

So, three years had made a massive difference. The next two years will have a crippling effect on the majority of people as the next "recession" bites harder and no amount of money being thrown into that pit will keep things afloat any longer.

Sorry to sound like a doom and gloomer, but it is what I've foreseen, and so I urge people to find their inner strengths, learn how to feed your family from home and become much more self-sufficient.. even in the suburbs.

edit on 27-10-2010 by Tayesin because: my fingers are getting more dyslexic as the years go by

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghandi

I know this may be a little off topic (but not really) but today, standing behind this man on line at Walgreens, I watched a man trying to purchase candy with his food stamp card. It kept getting denied then, he'd ask the cashier to take something off the bill and he'd try it again. He attempted this four times and just said 'screw it'. (must've been his last few dollars on the card)

So when I was ready (finally) to pay for my items, I had a brief discussion with the cashier and we both agreed what a waste of federal funds (when times are so incredibly difficult) to buy Tootsie Rolls and lollipops and Gummie Bears and whatever else he was planning to buy.

I know it's none of our business what other people do (because I wouldn't want someone interfering in my personal life) but something just isn't right here.
I struggle each day, like so many others, stretching my money and food out every day. Conserving my lights and not driving as much etc, so when I saw what I saw today with this man, I almost wanted to clock him.
Oh well. It's an insane world we're living in. To each his own I guess.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Boy, do I understand where you are coming from!! As it stands now, in my household, we run out of money about 5 days before my next check comes in!! Plus, I have sold, to the pawn shop, most of my stuff worth anything - just have my earrings (which I am wearing) and a gold pendant I am thinking of giving the pawn shop this week. After that, it with be the diamond (small) earrings and everything we do not need will be gone!!!

My care for my elderly mom and times have been rough since March for us. I cannot work fulltime, caring for her, and rent is going up and we cannot afford to move to a place with lower rent!! Water goes up a couple of $$ each month, and electric?? Well, you all know how that is. We never have enough left - after utilities, bills, and food - to save a dime!!

I am really concerned about where we will be in, say, 2 years (if that long)!!

Global food crisis forecast as prices reach record highs

It sure as hell is NOT going to get better, that is for sure..........

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

That could have been a gift to his child. Sometimes, during the toughest of times, it is the little things that keep us going. I think now, more than ever, we have to really work to be understanding of each other. So many people are frightened, desperate and afraid. We need to support each other as much as possible. I recently showed my children some videos of older great depression survivors. One thing kept being mentioned and that was the way that people tried to prop each other up. This was remembered by these people, who were likely children during the depression, because THOSE were the things that made the world seem enduring and worthwhile. Things like saved for trips to the movies, candies and lipstick were the things that brought a little light into an otherwise dingy world. We will all begin to understand these things again.

edit on 27-10-2010 by veryinteresting because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Ive had a similar experience. Except it was a women trying to buy something small, 3-4 dollars on her credit card. And Ive seen that same episode with different people in different locations, trying to buy different things then getting completely shocked when they realized their maxed. And maybe Ive just started paying more attention to it, but I swear I see it more and more frequently.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghandi

Oh yeah...groceries are expensive. After the mortgage I'd say it's my biggest expense. I was at the grocery store this past weekend looking at the coffee and an elderly man was standing there looking at 'em, too. He commented, "Boy, coffee has really gone up. " I replied, "It sure has." Folgers was $10.99, MJB was 11.99(for the 2lb 1.9 oz size can) when not so long ago I remember getting it for around $6.99. He then went on to tell me that growing up during the depression his parents complained about how awful the coffee was, something about chickory/hickory coffee?? I can't quite remember but it was something like that. Apparently, the good coffee went towards the war effort. I told him that I tried the generic store brand before and it was terrible so I buy the decent stuff. I need my coffee! Maybe it would have been cheaper at Walmar but hate shopping there. It was interesting talking to him at any rate...gotta love grocery shopping. Not! And fresh produce? Very expensive. I know why people buy cheap/junk food-it's more affordable. How sad is that? And they wonder why Americans are obese and diabetes is on the rise? It's like everything is set against us right now.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Looks like i am heading to mcdonalds and stalking up on some hamburgers
hopefully they live up to the 6 month span were going to need it

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Another sad piece to this tricky puzzle is that many companies haven't been able to provide a "cost of living" raise (think 3%). That can be very detrimental to people on super-tight budgets. I'm sure we all know people that will not go out for lunch because they can't (not just don't want) spend $7. When their grocery prices go up 5%, that is very much biting into their budget.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I have been around for 50 years,and have been aware of these trends for a long time.

I always knew that the way we live is not sustainable,so I made adjustments to avoid the coming pain.

Most people in this country make excuses not to reign in their wasteful ways,and it is inexcusable.

A little pain spread out over time is better than what the rest of the country is going to experience soon.

I will be off in the margins watching the craziness,I won't be laughing either.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Not only will prices rise because of corporate greed,but the honey bees have been dying off for years.

We may be in way more trouble than we realize.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghandi

I think saying this is part of the plan for population reduction is quite the stretch...food going up from 1 percent to 3.5 percent to even 5 percent is not going to destroy the economy. So if you are paying 4.50 for an item the total cost of the increase is 22.5 cents...really population reduction? Please read the entire article from where I am from just outside of Boston gas has gone up as of recently to twenty cents more than last week. Lets look at some lower numbers folks 2.50 for a box of butter will now be an increase of .05 cents at a 2 percent increase. Lets be reasonable in our assessments of cost of living increases on a yearly basis and and how much oil impacts the shipping of food back and fourth.

All is well people you can come out of the bunkers...

"There are some caveats here. First, we are coming off historically low prices, so the jumps in prices need to be viewed on a relative basis."

lets keep this in context

edit on 27-10-2010 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join