It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupidity of the court system.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I have been involved in 2 court cases since i have become an adult with the legal system. Both of these cases are based on my own stupidity. During the course of these cases i have learned a few things about this country(outside of my military experience). One thing that i have learned is this, the system is corrupt from top to bottom. Second, i have learned that they are purely stupid, and will take advantage of anyone that will let them. That is key, LET THEM. Here is a brief summary of what i have been dealing with today.

I get a phone call from my boss that they are garnishing my wages (court of CA). So i know i haven't paid this fine for court fees on a case for disorderly conduct i received while walking across the street to base. So this happened in 2007. Since this happened in 2007 i have been arrested for assault. I did 6 months time for this. Again just my own idiocy. Now here is the kicker. When you are released from jail they check to see if you have any warrants for your arrest in any other place in the state, or US. So i think, ok, i guess they withdrew the warrant. So i call the clerk of courts and he tells me they have a bench warrant for me.

So i ask the clerk, "Does (county) not extradite?", he says, "yes we do".

So here i am thinking, what the heck? So i call the public defenders office and he says i am going to have to appear and probably do a week in jail. So i sit here thinking, no way, this is to ridiculous. Now i use my google law degree and find case precedence set by supreme court of CA.

People vs. Mitchell

So anyway, basically what i am saying is this, THEY have no idea what they are doing. There is so many laws, so many people in jail, so many people with warrants, that they just go through the list endlessly without any thought given to the law.

My question to you ATS is this.... what do i do next? What should we do? How many people are being taken advantage of right now by a defunct court system that is so overrun that they can't even handle their own caseload?

Help me out guys...

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
There is a loop hole in a sense, you can look over this link, that has lots of great information. Even if you decide not to use some of the information given, you know more or less what your up against. This has helped me to understand much of the legal system, and may do the same for you. Good luck.
www.natural-person.ca...

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Thanks NRE, i do know a lot about this. There is a time and place for everything. The issue with a lot of things is what you are willing to dedicate. Having have fought a serious case for over a year, i know for a fact that even lawyers, really have no idea. So what it comes down to is presentation. How you present your case, nothing else really matters. Although i will say that wasting the courts time is an affective tool. especially considering the crimes rates in the US, and lack of funding.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I completely agree that presentation is #1. Most of the time people just conform and agree, without really knowing that most of the time no one really knows whats going on. But when you present yourself as a person that is aware of his/her surrounding, and CANNOT be taken advantage of, the game and rules ALWAYS change.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Great answer by noregretsever...this is from an email I received and based on actual courtcases.
It is pretty entertaining and all true.

IT CAN BE HARD KEEPING A STRAIGHT FACE AS A COURT REPORTER

These are from a book called Disorder in the American Courts, and are things people actually said in court, word for word, taken down and now published by court reporters that had the torment of staying calm while these exchanges were actually taking place.

ATTORNEY: What was the first thing your husband said to you that morning?
WITNESS: He said , 'Where am I, Cathy?'
ATTORNEY: And why did that upset you?
WITNESS: My name is Susan!

ATTORNEY: This myasthenia gravis, does it affect your memory at all?
WITNESS: Yes.
ATTORNEY: And in what ways does it affect your memory?
WITNESS: I forget..
ATTORNEY: You forget? Can you give us an example of something you forgot?

ATTORNEY: Now doctor , isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep , he doesn't know about it until the next morning?
WITNESS: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

ATTORNEY: The youngest son , the 20-year-old , how old is he?
WITNESS: He's 20 , much like your IQ.

ATTORNEY: Were you present when your picture was taken?
WITNESS: Are you #ting me?
ATTORNEY: And what were you doing at that time?
WITNESS: Getting laid
ATTORNEY: How many were boys?
WITNESS: None.
ATTORNEY: Were there any girls?
WITNESS: Your Honor, I think I need a different attorney. Can I get a new attorney?

ATTORNEY: How was your first marriage terminated?
WITNESS: By death..
ATTORNEY: And by whose death was it terminated?
WITNESS: Take a guess.

ATTORNEY: Can you describe the individual?
WITNESS: He was about medium height and had a beard
ATTORNEY: Was this a male or a female?
WITNESS: Unless the Circus was in town I'm going with male.

ATTORNEY: Is your appearance here this morning pursuant to a deposition notice which I sent to your attorney?
WITNESS: No, this is how I dress when I go to work.

ATTORNEY: Doctor , how many of your autopsies have you performed on dead people?
WITNESS: All of them.. The live ones put up too much of a fight.

ATTORNEY: ALL your responses MUST be oral , OK? What school did you go to?
WITNESS: Oral..

ATTORNEY: Do you recall the time that you examined the body?
WITNESS: The autopsy started around 8:30 PM
ATTORNEY: And Mr. Denton was dead at the time?
WITNESS: If not , he was by the time I finished.

And last:

ATTORNEY: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?
WITNESS: No.
ATTORNEY: Did you check for blood pressure?
ATTORNEY: Did you check for breathing?
WITNESS: No..
ATTORNEY: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?
ATTORNEY: How can you be so sure, Doctor?
WITNESS: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.
ATTORNEY: I see, but could the patient have still been alive, nevertheless?
WITNESS: Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law.

Hope this at least gives you a laugh!

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Well stupidity of the court system appears everywhere...

Aparently where you live people get thrown in jail easily for having warrants and God knows what...

Here in Belgium convicted people get released for errors in the procedures of the trial or his time in jail.
For instance when someone does not agree with something during the trial he can fill in a document to contest whatever is happening. This is a case where one comitted a double murder.

The convict must request this document at a guard, the guard must ask a clerk, the clerk must give a document to the guard, the guard must give it to the convict, the convict returns the document to the guard, the guard must then return it to the clerk again who validates the document and sends it to the court, the court has another procedure to handle this document too.

What happened was, the guard forgot to sign off the request for this document when he got it from the clerk. What was the result: Instant release of the convict due to procedure error in court. He now walks around freely.

Stupidity of the court system, indeed.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Well it's really your fault for not keeping track of what's against you. It's not the states job to babysit you as like you said they are overloaded.

However in regards to your question I had a similar thing happen once. I had a bench warrant for some stupid unpaid ticket and I simply called the court and said I'd like to pay it off. It was about 600 dollars so I went down and paid it and they took it off my record.

Not sure your rules in your state so you might have to see a judge. Odds are the jail is overbooked so just tell him your ready to pay the fine and it was a common mistake and you shouldn't have to do jail. Unless you don't have the money of course.

top topics

join