It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Earth facing CME inbound*, sunspot exploded

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

if this is true then we will be getting affected by arouuund Halloween? i read on another thread here that they said something would happen on halloween. Sorry i dont know which thread it is but will repost it when i catch it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by eightfold

Thank goodness we are not all scholarly intellectuals like you. call me a cave woman because I still rely on my instincts and intuition and heart over that gray matter....

Just seems like a bad time to be doing something so potentially dangerous and new to them at this time. I am open to being wrong too, thats how I roll as my kids say, lol.
edit on 26-10-2010 by antar because: (no reason given)

I'll back you up on calling him on the manifested snarky superiority complex. My intuition says that we're p'rolly okay though.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Instincts and intuition are incredibly important, but they're irrelevant in this context. C-Class flares happen all the time, nuclear reactors are running all the time, and they don't interact with each other. Both are common events and there's no connection between them, so it's unnecessary to be scared, worried or concerned.

Apologies if my tone was a bit harsh, but what I said is true... there's nothing to worry about. Not only that, but these flares might produce some serious aurora, which are without a doubt the most impressive natural displays I've ever seen.

Doom and gloom is unnecessary, these events should be enjoyed, not worried about.

edit on 26-10-2010 by eightfold because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

I don't have a superiority complex, I just happen to know a lot about this subject and I thought I'd chip in and 'deny ignorance,' which is what we're all here for surely?

I might have come across as a bit harsh, but that's just frustration you're hearing - I don't think it's fair to scare people and make connections that have no basis in fact.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
reply to post by redhorse

I don't have a superiority complex, I just happen to know a lot about this subject and I thought I'd chip in and 'deny ignorance,' which is what we're all here for surely?

I might have come across as a bit harsh, but that's just frustration you're hearing - I don't think it's fair to scare people and make connections that have no basis in fact.

Originally posted by eightfold
reply to post by antar

Instincts and intuition are incredibly important, but they're irrelevant in this context. C-Class flares happen all the time, nuclear reactors are running all the time, and they don't interact with each other. Both are common events and there's no connection between them, so it's unnecessary to be scared, worried or concerned.

Apologies if my tone was a bit harsh, but I find it frustrating when people make connections that just aren't there. I was trying to help you understand that you've got nothing to worry about. You're also potentially spreading fear amongst members who share you're lack of understanding on the topic, which isn't fair on them.

A. I don't have a problem with your more in-depth knowledge on the topic, and I am grateful for you sharing the knowledge itself. If you say C-class flares happen all the time and aren't dangerous... Fine. Makes me feel better. It actually does.

B. Instincts, and more to the point intuition are rarely irrelevent in my experience, and that is a completely different conversation that centers around 'givens' within our interpretation of reality. You see it differently in this case at least, but even intuitive, Jungian me likes to have some facts to back things up. If my intuition starts doom-mongering I usually keep my mouth shut in a public forum because of that very reason; and if I do say something I'm very clear to state it as intuition, and add a 'take it for what you will', or something to that effect.

However, if my 'intuition' says there is nothing to be afraid of I am more likely to say something (with the same 'gut feeling' disclaimer of course.)

C.I do understand your point on spreading fear out of ignorance, and the frustration with it... I really do. I have been known to come off pretty snarky (or worse) myself in some of those situations. It's rarely productive though, and people tend to tune out your 'superior knowledge on the subject' pretty quickly. It just makes them angry and more reactionary.

edit on 26-10-2010 by redhorse because: grammar

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
There was no significant flare associated with the CME . The latest flare (from 11117), a C2.3, occurred at 2010/10/25 22:06:00 UTC. The CME recorded by STEREO A occurred at 2010/10/26 06:00:00, eight hours after that minor flare.

Judging from the view from STEREO A, it doesn't really look like the CME originated from 11117 which is in the northern hemisphere of the Sun. It looks more like it came from the southern hemisphere, perhaps from 11115. The images from SOHO back up that conclusion, showing no "halo" effect (though later images aren't available). That being the case, and because it seems to be directed mostly below the ecliptic, I would venture to say there is slight chance that the CME will be geoeffective.

edit on 10/26/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If it was going to be of any danger I wouldn`t expect them to tell us but play like no big deal. Air flights may get cancelled perhaps.

I`m still a big believer in they don`t know themselves half the time and are still learning as well. With that said Time will tell the real truth and either show us they don`t know or that they do. It`s not like we can change it but just for keeping an open eye on things. Like are the big wigs still doing their partying or are they to be found.
When they disappear from scheduled activity we will know something bad is going down.

One thing for sure all this is very exciting either way.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

OMG DOOM is way more fun when you are one of ATS's leading Doomologists.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

LOL, got it! I will take off my tinfoil hardhat ... for now.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I would have you know I am a gloomitologist! That was hilarious!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

The sunspot's magnetic field is crackling with B- and C-class solar flares: 36-hour movie. So far, these impulsive eruptions have not hurled any substantial clouds toward Earth. A big flare would be geoeffective, however, because the sunspot is almost-squarely facing Earth. Stay tuned!

www.spaceweather.com...

Well, so far not anything big yet....

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar

Thank goodness we are not all scholarly intellectuals like you. call me a cave woman because I still rely on my instincts and intuition and heart over that gray matter....

Just seems like a bad time to be doing something so potentially dangerous and new to them at this time. I am open to being wrong too, thats how I roll as my kids say, lol.
edit on 26-10-2010 by antar because: (no reason given)

whats the worst that can happen.... Iran blows nuke reactor. big deal. they just saved us from invading now.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
www.spaceweather.com...
10/27/2010

A BIG SUNSPOT GETS BIGGER: Behemoth sunspot 1117 is not merely growing, it is transmogrifying. Since yesterday, the shape-shifting sunspot has developed a "beta-gamma" magnetic field that harbors energy for M-class solar flares. Any such eruptions will likely be geoeffective because the sunspot is almost-squarely facing Earth. Readers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor developments.

edit on 10/27/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: format

top topics

<< 1   >>

join