It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fallout New Vegas - Porting over the DC Wastes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Just figured some of you may be interested in visiting ole DC and running some of those missions while playing Fallout New Vegas

First off...disclaimers and bugs
-This is all just a work in progress...meaning it is nothing but bug ridden.
-This will nerf any game you load...your stats will go to base, your character face will go basic, everything in your inventory will disappear
=suggestion: if your going to try this and actually play it, start a brand spanking new character and save the second you can...that way, you lose nothing.,

-this will nerf any game you load from a untouched game (aka, if you want to try out your level 30 guy, find it killed his stats and inventory, then removed all the stuff, that particular save game will forever be dead..again, read the suggestion if your wanting to play FO N 3'gas

-There are still some missing textures and meshes...the red diamonds are not yet accounted for even with this method...so, the only thing that may be coming out in regards to mods will be perhaps a compatability patch to fix the few textures missing, etc...but you gotta do almost all the work yourself to port it over.

Bonuses of porting over FO3 into NV:
Besides the obvious (you get to explore DC and Vegas both, including talk to people, run missions, etc) is you will also be able to run -some- mods that were specific for FO3.
(these mods are ones that does not require a script extender..the script extender is not out yet...but things like project beauty and such work fine.)

ok...here is the current alpha version 0.01 method...

1. You need FOMM, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and about 5 minutes.
2. Open 2 explorer windows and browse to your Fallout 3/Data directories and Fallout New Vegas/Data directories.
3. Copy the following files from Fallout 3/Data to a temporary folder: Fallout.esm, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa (DONT COPY Fallout - Misc.bsa)
4. Rename these BSA files so they wont over-write the New Vegas BSAs (e.g. Fallout - Meshes.bsa to F3Meshes.bsa)
5. Once renamed, move these files into your Fallout New Vegas/Data folder.
6. In your Documents folder (My Documents, for XP users), browse to My Games/Fallout NV and open up FalloutPrefs.INI in notepad or notepad++
7. Hit ctrl+F and search for 'SArchiveList'
8. On this line, add the bsa files you just copied into your New Vegas data directory. Then save and exit. (note, also do this for Fallout.ini in the same folder)
8. in your Fallout New Vegas/Data folder, open Fallout - Meshes.bsa with FOMM. (Double click on it and if prompted, select or browse to FOMM.exe in your fallout 3/fomm directory)
9. expand Fallout - meshes -> meshes and click on 'interface'
10. Select all of the meshes on the right and click extract. Select your Fallout New Vegas/Data directory and hit ok.
11. Now open up Fallout - Textures2.bsa in your Fallout New Vegas/Data folder with FOMM.
12. Expand Fallout - Textures2 -> Textures -> Interface and click on 'main'.
13. Select all of the textures on the right and click extract.
14. Select your Fallout New Vegas/Data folder and hit ok.
15. Repeat steps 13 and 14 with interface -> loading and interface -> pause
16. Close FOMM and start the New Vegas launcher, click Data Files.
17. Check Fallout.esm and hit ok.
18. Launch the game and load your save, once in-game press the tilde key (~) to activate the console.
19. Type 'coc Springvale' and press enter. (NOTE: I would advise that you do NOT save your game while trying this out)

I would also suggest to initially backup your entire data directory before you start mucking about..(I did) so if things go wonky for some reason, you don't nerf your entire game.

Anyhow, have fun...keep in mind this is completely initial bug phase, and if you can figure out a way to sort it out better, feel free to contribute to the few places on the net discussing and trying to tweak it to work great.

incidently, if you do make a new char and want to try to play both games, simply hack moriority's computer to get the dad quest going...alternatively, clip into the vault and talk to amata in that interrogation room upstairs (you get the talked dad down solution automatically)....problem with that is that the door that activates the next bit is missing.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Can you explain a bit more? Are you saying you will play the Fallout 3 missions and maps with the New Vegas rules and weapons? I don't understand.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
Can you explain a bit more? Are you saying you will play the Fallout 3 missions and maps with the New Vegas rules and weapons? I don't understand.

its a merger of 2 games into one...sort of like using the entire game of FO3 as a mod for FONV.

and yes, it works with the FONV rules, but with the option of zipping over to the DC wastes to do those missions..still very much in alpha stages, but so far, I was able to do the main mission of FO3 and side ones, talk to whomever, etc...it works just fine in those regards

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Excellent. Sounds very intriguing. Thanks for this info!

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
So i will have to start again in order not to lose anyhing, but will i lose everything when i come back to mojave? And if i decide to go again will i lose my stuff a second time? When i do the F3 main quest will i have to just skip vault 101 and use the terminal in moriarty's place to start the quest, or can i still do the vault 101 quests and then telepor out of the vault using console commands when i am done (seeing the door is 'locked')? And does this work with the DLCs? I would love to go to point lookout and the pit
One last thing, is the health system (changed a little bit since f3, but not noticable unless you play with all skills maxed out, extra damage perks and only 50hp
i like to make the game slightly more realistic
) the same or is it back to regular old f3 health system? I prefere he NV system because energy weapons can bypass the majority of armours wihout you having to make them 'ignore all resistances' in the GECK incase the target has power armour or other energy resistant armour...

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I am getting fallout 3 for pc(i have on xbox) now that i know about this, but if the file isnt too big (like the FNV esm(or whatever)) can you please post here or send me the link to where you uploaded it. That would be greatly appriciated but if it is too much trouble it wont bother me
New Australian internet upgrade coming soon and this week i am schedualled to slightly speed up to :O 400kb/s :O yeh you americans are lucky with internet
i am currently getting 20kb/s max:'(

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BushTuckaRoo

You can check on fallout underground website for the ongoing discussion about the modding.

there will not be a file...you must do this yourself with your own games...there may down the line be a small patch or something that helps tweak some bugs..but no big mod pack of assets from one game to another...that would find you in some legal trouble.

So ya...if your up for doing it, then you need to follow that forum on fallout underground (google it) and read it all...there are a few people working to get things working properly.

incidently...fallout 3 for PC rocks...mostly due to the tons of mods out there to almost completely change the game to whatever you want it to be.

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

hello. i have a question or two.
i think i did these steps properly.
heres the issue i have.
when i coc springvale and
load up in dc there is pratically nothing there.
it seems anything not indoors or part of the ground
is not there. for instance megaton, its just not there.

heres where i may or may not have had an issue.
when extracting the bsa files the instructions say to select all files and extract to
nv\data. well i cannot ctrl+a to select all so i chose extract all.
does this extract the files in the window to the right or does it extract everything from interface?
i notice you mention the red exclamation points.. but are there supposed to be that many?
are the missing textures just not available to extract or is it something that can be found by extracting more files?

posted on Nov, 5 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by phuhcue

I will U2U you..it has been developed far more

Your issue your having is you must have somehow screwed up the extraction process...it probably extracted into your original fallout 3 directory or something...or you didn't move it over to your FONV directory...
either way, the textures are missing obviously, I will give you a link to the website where its being constantly developed though

posted on Nov, 6 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

apparently my handle was offensive.
i had to register again.
im going to try to log in to get that u2u, could you send that link to this
handle just in case?
thanks for the reply.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pearltung

lol

ok, here just goto FO3Underground

That is the direct link to the actual thread...however you will need to register first, and registration is a pain..you gotta pay attention, they ban people whom simply don't read the terms and conditions.

Also, lets see..obviously ATS does not have anything to do with this website, and erm...whatever other disclamer you can think of.

Oh, and I simply said in the U2U that you obviously forgot to unload a .bsa file in your data directory..either textures or meshes...I think missing meshes give the red diamonds.

btw, make a backup of your FONV data directory before doing anything like this...and read the forum on the endless bugs and bugfixes people are working on.
edit on 7-11-2010 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The mods on FONV on PC are getting better and better everyday. The first day showing no promise but after more then 2 weeks its starting to pick up at last. Would be nice if they came out with more weapons with different effects then just upgrading damage.

edit on 10-11-2010 by Stop-loss! because: I grew up a screw up

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!

The mods on FONV on PC are getting better and better everyday. The first day showing no promise but after more then 2 weeks its starting to pick up at last. Would be nice if they came out with more weapons with different effects then just upgrading damage.

edit on 10-11-2010 by Stop-loss! because: I grew up a screw up

The limiting factor for now is the script extender being non existant. the creators are lost in space and have not as of yet put out a proper script extender for NV
So, until that is done, the really advanced stuff is in limbo...they are trying the best they can to expand, however that wall is very present.

pity it wasn't open source...would be done by now and far more advanced..but oh well.

new topics

top topics

join