It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dozens Dead After Tsunami Hits Indonesia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Dozens Dead After Tsunami Hits Indonesia

news.sky.com

Dozens of people have died and more than 160 are missing after a 10ft-high tsunami hit the west coast of Indonesia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Im not sure if this is connected to the Volcano Evactation or has any thing to do with Sunspot 1117 tho it does seem likely

I think Indonesia at the moment is the last place you want to be on earth

If you look at the Earthqukaes over the past 24 hours on the ROSE EDIS site i think theres a patten in the sudden increase of Eventser

On Space Weather they had a Warning of a Geomagnetic storm warning, now a day later with have a Major Tsunami and Volcano aleart

Now this isnt the end of the world and probley isnt anything "New" in the scheme of things for mother nature, however im worried something major with the sun would knock our "Speicalized Soicty" down to its knees

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-10-2010 by TreX-UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

Certainly is a pattern! A few 4 pointers today, I think these are probably aftershocks, but who knows, this area has been unpredictable the past day or so.

Alert Map

edit on 26-10-2010 by JJBB22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Whats werid is there is no warning from NOAA about this...cant even find a advice bulletin

NOAA

I would of thought a tsunami that has killed people would be pretty major

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

Why is this not being reported, I have just been on a number of websites of newspapers over here and there is nothing. I wouldn't have even known anything happened if i waqsn't apart of this forum.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jexmo

aye just went though all the UK News channels and nothing...Top story is about Take-That getting back togeather

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

The area is 240 kilometres west of Bengkulu on Sumatra island and 280 kilometres south of Padang, an area popular with tourists. The Indonesian Geophysics and Meteorology agency lifted an earlier tsunami warning. The 7.7 earthquake was followed by powerful magnitude 6.1 and 6.2 aftershocks about five and eight hours later in the same area. The power and shallow depth of the earthquake - at 20.6 kilometres - prompted the US-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center to issue a "tsunami watch" bulletin to guide local authorities on how to respond but that was later cancelled. Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", where the meeting of continental plates causes high volcanic and seismic activity, and the archipelago is frequently struck by powerful earthquakes.

So it seems they cancelled the warning

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

I was gonna say I checked on the BBC website this morning & read there was an earthquake but they cancelled the Tunsami warning

Is this something like the 3rd tunsami in 5-6 years over there?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
FOX News is reporting it, at the moment:

www.foxnews.com...

Don't worry, this will now get a lot more media attention, which means that the victims will recieve the aid of concerned American citizens. If it wasn't for the msm, nothing could draw our attention from Dancing With the Stars!

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
It is hardly being reported on Australian news either..
They mention that there were Australians on a boat who can't be found because of a tsunami, but that's about it.

There's been no mention at all of the Volcano though. I had no idea until I saw it mentioned in this thread.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
No mention of a volcano related to this event on Fox, so if it wasn't for ATS I wouldn't know if it.

But, read these haunting comments:

Mujiharto, who heads the Health Ministry's crisis center, said a 10-foot (three-meter) -high wave washed away hundreds of houses on Pagai and Silabu, part of the remote and sparsely populated Mentawai island chain.

"We have 200 body bags on the way, just in case," he said.

Wow, that it chilling... "just in case".

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
There were tsunami watches, but were canceled. Afterward, a supplement was issued stating that local governments were the only ones who could make those kinds of alerts.

Politics anyone?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

~I just saw this on skynews.... yet again another tsunami hits Indonesia.....

nowhere near as bad as 04 but still.....

kinda puts into perspective....... Take That back together for a tour (I wonder if they are broke)....

Who cares about 'Take That' ? ............. Seriously

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
The wave was from the Earthquake that happened yesterday.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by misuneko

I don't think it was from the EQ. Maybe a subsequent land slide underwater, but the EQ was not very far offshore, the tsunami watch was cancelled, none was detected, and the tsunami did not strike or quite a long time after the EQ. I think maybe something became dislodged under the water and a landslide caused the tsunami.

Volcano, EQ, Tsunami, things are certainly volatile over there right now. Our prayers are with anyone in the area.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The volcano started to erupt.

Connected?

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
The volcano started to erupt.

Connected?

Oh really? Link? It's really hard to find any proof that this volcano is even active. No news are reporting on it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

It just Erupted, getting up on the ticker on the BBC news

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

Probably has knocked us down many times before.

One thing or another anyway.

Mega tsunami, quake, volcano, asteroid/meteorites, maybe even virus.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
BBC just reported that 500 are missing and around 200 dead,

Not sure where they got that from as it's way over what ive found on twitter/web

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join