It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

COICA law - say goodbye to internet freedom

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I think this is a good thing. Intellectual property rights should be enforced. Don't like the consequences of breaking the law? Don't do the act. People that want their intellecual property shared will still be free to do so.

Major companies and such have been using the Intellectual property rights as means to further there other agendas including this law the COICA law which will censorship the entire internet.

This means no more free viewing and no more free listening to music on youtube, youtube will be blacklisted as well alex jones and those other web sites.

Don't be naive.

Don't like the consequences of breaking the law? Don't do the act.

ok that's just pathetic, i just could say your with the obama crowd.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Just remember what happened to liquor ban in the USA 100 years ago.
I'm gonna write a novel about this situation and it will be a bestseller. They are preparing a new and very profitable black market with this law. This is why they are doing it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I think this is a good thing. Intellectual property rights should be enforced. Don't like the consequences of breaking the law? Don't do the act. People that want their intellecual property shared will still be free to do so.

ohh Really
! Ok

First off

If you have Little One(Child) running around the House and your Child has one of those Traditional American (if your American) Big Birthday party Having fun Then.... The Lights go Dim The Cake with Lit,, Candles, come out and Everyone Sings! Out LOUD Happy Birthday to you!!!!! Enough that the Outside Streets can hear you During the Sing along a Faithful all American Patriot Pedestrian walks bye and See's Some one is Recording your Little One's Birthday Through the Window ! and dong his Patriotic duty calls a certain Law enforcement and they start Questioning The Neighborhood
getting Names then they will find Enough Evidence to Prosecute you ...

Could it Happen ! Darn Right it can ...

Happy Birthday to You (Song )
en.wikipedia.org...

The Summy Company registered for copyright in 1935, crediting authors Preston Ware Orem and Mrs. R.R. Forman. In 1990, Warner Chappell purchased the company owning the copyright for U.S. $15 million, with the value of "Happy Birthday" estimated at U.S. $5 million.[5] Based on the 1935 copyright registration, Warner claims that U.S. copyright will not expire until 2030, and that unauthorized public performances of the song are technically illegal unless royalties are paid to it. In one specific instance in February 2010, these royalties were said[6] to amount to $700. In European Union countries the copyright in the song will expire December 31, 2016.[7] The actual U.S. copyright status of "Happy Birthday to You" began to draw more attention with the passage of the Copyright Term Extension Act in 1998. When the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the Act in Eldred v. Ashcroft in 2003, Associate Justice Stephen Breyer specifically mentioned "Happy Birthday to You" in his dissenting opinion.[8] An American law professor who heavily researched the song has expressed strong doubts that it is still under copyright.[2]

Simple Traditional Song Like this Can be Copyright Infringement

Unhappy Birthday
www.unhappybirthday.com...

Famous Copyright Infringement Cases in the Music Industry

Read more at Suite101: Famous Copyright Infringement Cases in the Music Industry www.suite101.com...

Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday We’ll Sue! (Facebook)
www.facebook.com...

Dont get caught posting you Child's Birthday on You Tube with the Happy birthday song
It may be Removed!!

Do you Agree with the Patriot Act too ? I Mean a Revisioned of the Mc Carren Act

There goes your Patriotic Songs too ohh say can you See .... When those go!! It would be already to late Orwellian or a Demolition Man World ...

I Doubt that this Bill/ACT Will Pass but may Pass like the Patriot Act at Midnight...

edit on 27-10-2010 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

Its is Happening (limewire)

www.limewire.com...

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
limewire went down. lame. I had a look yesterday and it's slammed with one of those infringement notice orders. Hopefully they don't shut the torrents down arrrgh

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
its funny how the same people who dont brake the law and tell us that we shouldnt download pirated contenct
A: own a mac and waste hundreds of money paying for every song and for a ridicolously expensive closed machine build in china to think theyr cool
B: pay 200$ every year for norton internet security or some #$^$# like that and theyr computer gets infected because they dont even know how to torrent and they go to malicious sites.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by JosephJohnson
This is such incredible B.S.

When did this country go down the gutter?

Land of the free, yeah right, more like free to do whatever they're told.

It is the land of the free. But when a person commits copyright infringement they are breaking the law. Why would a company invest millions of dollars to produce a product just so somebody and sit at home and download it for free? If a person wants something they should get off of their butt and pay for it.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Bye Bye Freedom.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
oh really? im not attacking you,im explaining with words that you MAY be wrong about that.
do you like being raped by corporate companies and governments when you struggle to pay for food for your child and family?
games are boring unlike the old days and very expensive, movies are not worth the money and hype and music too!
everything is about manipulation and profits.what is the last time you saw some company caring for you and your needs? everything is made in china,backroom deals. your president is on vacation while you starve and companies try to sue you if you download a single song. and they wont care if you loose all your money and go to rot to prison.
the system that we have now is a system of anarchy and dominance, people must suffer for me to succeed.
the plan is for you to be a slave,and you have no other choice but to DIE if you play legally and try to be a good citizen.

lets say you wanna be a graphic designer or something.
A) you get picked up by some company and become a proffesinal with only high school education and talent
B) you go to university 4 years,then no one wants to hire you because you dont have work experience,you are offered payed courses and licenses,all lies to take your money and for you to bankrupt and rot.

when apple tryed to sue the pirate bay, they "demanded" all information,ips and info on all seeders and leechers for theyr torrent of tiger os to be handed to them, afcourse sweden laughted at them.
do you support those companies? lets say you dont have money right now and just want to watch some movie thats not even new,you download it and police comes and takes your house because you cant pay the fee.
do we really need to talk more? you americans have antipiracy as the last line of freedom left,before obama screws you complitly

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

Flag it, FIGHT it.

Last chance.

Remember, this law will be added to every "Free Trade" Agreement, and finalize the conditions for global corporate government.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Last chance.

Too Late!

"We've only just begun"

"Yes, we can!"

"Oh, yes we did!"

Learning to accept incremental changes as they come would be far less stressful in the long term than attempting to fight them in utter futility.

You all have a better chance of collectively stopping a speeding freight train with your bodies.

Good luck.

edit on 27-10-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Related Question ATS....

Are any of us under the delusion that internet is currently free of censorship or user tracking??? Do we think this law will change anything?

Everything we do on the internet is funneled through AT&Ts black room as we all well know. And insiders have already told us that there are complex computer algorithms sorting through said recorded data.

I say, let them censor it; down with the bread and circuses, and let the common man think for himself for a minute.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Time to bring back open root server network

en.wikipedia.org...

Wiki is also a decent place to look at some alt roots
en.wikipedia.org...

Only a few of them are still running but I imagine more competition will enter the market as people start looking for alternatives for .gov controlled internet. Don't be tricked into the whole censored internet thing. Educate yourself. Alternatives exist

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

It is the land of the free. But when a person commits copyright infringement they are breaking the law. Why would a company invest millions of dollars to produce a product just so somebody and sit at home and download it for free? If a person wants something they should get off of their butt and pay for it.

copyright infringement is owned by the major company not by the artist or manga creator

sit at home and download it for free?

Because the world is in recession and people in the world dont have all access to credit cards or E payments like you do and further more they would prefer it free.

But when a person commits copyright infringement they are breaking the law

Do you know whats a copyright infringement in the first place? its a creative license not a corporate license copyright
copyright infringement happens if you steal the artist song lyrics as your own and claim it has your own then sing it in a public place, when you get you tubed and the artist has every right to sue you under the copyright infringement.

Remember a mod called Halogen ? which got closed down by Microsoft?
halogen.slipstreamproductions.net...

microsoft feared competition by a free download mod however not all models in halogen were from halowars meaning Microsoft were wrong in closing them down.
By the way after this event Microsoft never bothered to close down other mods with the halo name.

Because halowars in the markets didn't do well.
Thats how a copyright infringement under a creative license works, the same goes for the manga creators.

This COICA law is nothing more then censorship.

I wont be surprised if the bill gets passed in secret.
edit on 27-10-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
November 2nd. is very near. Has anyone asked their Reps.; or senators about this ? Probably another Odumbo secret meeting thang. You know; Beer Summit stuff.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
thats what i forgot to say,i understand wrong when someones steals something done by me and CLAIMS IT as their own,like they did it.
or when that someone tryes to sell it,but no one will buy it since everyone can download it for free.
pirating for money is long dead no one would dare do that.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

agreed with you completely
they're just speculators, lusted after endless profits & absolute control.
reply to post by theunknownman

Are any of us under the delusion that internet is currently free of censorship or user tracking???

you're correct, Global Net has been sifted.

we think this law will change anything?

they need legal reasons to close too anti-propagandistic resources
in fact, gov. has been engulfed with panic, & completely has not had idea what to do: problem of GOM has not been solved, Economy goes wild, Afghan, Iraq etc. & so on
in short, they have moved along current way due to'ir brainless

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

its fine say that now but next time you go to youtube and it says this is a legal note that youtube has been court ordered to shut down because copyright infragmentation is illigal and your like oh crap i will say well man if you want that video get off your but and go pay for it and you will proceed to say man i got three kids and a wife and a sick mom i have to support i cant afford a 15$doller album. next is the music channels on my comcast man oh man

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I agree that there is some stupid suppressive stuff happening in the US right now.

The thing that caught my eye about the bill is one of the first things in the bill. Which is the purpose of the bill.

"To combat online infringement, and for other purposes."

What is meant by "other purposes"? To me that's kind of vague.

The bill kind of makes some sense, but the question really is, of course, will this lead to something other than "copyright infringement" stuff? Will it be used in a way that is non-suppressive to the truth? That's what concerns me.

And, ethically.... I'm no choir boy, but theft is theft. If someone came to my house and stole my car, and made it theirs, I would be upset. That's my transportation.

We live in a world where injustice thrives and makes a killing. Big Pharma, some of the biggest criminals in our nation, thrives at our demise. That's the problem. Sometimes you gotta grab material and expose it. But, since we have a corrupt government who's pockets are being filled by corrupt beings, that's where abuse could come from. That being said, I don't know if I trust this law.

Troy

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
OMG Limewire really is down! Could this be a result of COICA?? I mean, they were in legal battles over music sharing and copywriting infringement for years, but as soon as you hear about COICA- BAM!
Man, they're not screwing around anymore.
One of my buddies mentioned that dude on Youtube whose IP address was traced back to him after downloading music online and got slammed with a lawsuit and huge fine. What's next? Are they gonna start fining everyone using Bearshare, Kazaa, etc?

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
"To combat online infringement, and for other purposes."

What is meant by "other purposes"? To me that's kind of vague.

And, ethically.... I'm no choir boy, but theft is theft. If someone came to my house and stole my car, and made it theirs, I would be upset. That's my transportation.
Troy

Other purposes is vague enough to mean anything they choose it to at a later point. Which should be as frightening as it sounds.

And about your car. How would you feel if someone came to your house...made a copy of your car, left yours there, then went back to their house and built an exact duplicate with their own materials? Then you would still have your transportation. This is more like what online piracy is. The alleged theft is "potential" sales not realized sales.

I have yet to have someone explain to me how Avatar can gross $2,772,598,443 dollars (link) But still be one of the most pirated movies of all time. If this is any indication, piracy doesn't seem to be making that big a dent in anything. Of course people will claim it's the little guy that is getting hurt, but the reality is without exposure the little guy is non existent anyway.

..Ex

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join