It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks: At Least 100,000 Iraqis Reportedly Killed During War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

abcnews.go.com...

abcnews.go.com

WikiLeaks Dumps 400,000 Military Documents Reportedly Containing Details on Iraqi Torture

In what is being described as the largest release of secret U.S. military documents ever, the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks has released a trove of classified reports about the war in Iraq, including a secret U.S. government tally that puts the Iraqi death toll over 100,000, according to news sources that received advanced copies of the documents.

Those documents include evidence of state-sanctioned torture by the Iraqi government, new evidence of Iraqi government death squads, and Iran's invo
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-10-2010 by Portugoal because: Title was link before.

edit on 22-10-2010 by Portugoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It's a difference of about 30% (Pentagon says the number is 77k - as of 2008). Torture is outlined in the documents. Going to try and get them myself from wikileaks.

I thought Barack put an end to torture? We'll see what years this runs from.

Question: Why lie about deaths? We all know civilians are the ones getting killed. A 40k difference is pretty big in a war that wasn't supposed to last all that long.

Edit: Will the government shut down Wikileaks? Or is Wikileaks doing what the government wants?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-10-2010 by Portugoal because: Edit to add question

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
From the Wikileaks homepage:

At 5pm EST Friday 22nd October 2010 WikiLeaks released the largest classified military leak in history. The 391,832 reports ('The Iraq War Logs'), document the war and occupation in Iraq, from 1st January 2004 to 31st December 2009 (except for the months of May 2004 and March 2009) as told by soldiers in the United States Army. Each is a 'SIGACT' or Significant Action in the war. They detail events as seen and heard by the US military troops on the ground in Iraq and are the first real glimpse into the secret history of the war that the United States government has been privy to throughout.

The reports detail 109,032 deaths in Iraq, comprised of 66,081 'civilians'; 23,984 'enemy' (those labeled as insurgents); 15,196 'host nation' (Iraqi government forces) and 3,771 'friendly' (coalition forces). The majority of the deaths (66,000, over 60%) of these are civilian deaths.That is 31 civilians dying every day during the six year period. For comparison, the 'Afghan War Diaries', previously released by WikiLeaks, covering the same period, detail the deaths of some 20,000 people. Iraq during the same period, was five times as lethal with equivallent population size.

You can go directly to the War Logs through:

www.warlogs.owni.fr...

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Just this week, didn't Assange deny that he was going to put out 400,000 documents, and say that 700 media outlets were idiots for saying he was and not checking their facts?
rixstep.com...

Where do all these claims about WikiLeaks doing something on Iraq today (Monday) come from? A single tabloid blog at Wired Magazine! That's right. Over 700 articles, newspapers all over the world, and newswires fooled by a tabloid blog - and each other.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

All very suspicious. Apparently it was sent to Al-Jazeera first. WHY?!?!!? Wikileaks never ceases to make me more and more suspicious of their intentions and who really runs it.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Oh, and I almost forgot. How dare wikileaks and that man Assange expose the injustices and human rights violations of the US Military Industrial Complex for all to see. I hope they hunt them all down as terrorists in the name of national security for putting our troops at risk in the illegal wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and they try that Manning fellow as the traitor he is for leaking these classified documents that inform us of what our government is doing behind our back!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Heres the best page I could find for exploring the files.
warlogs....__._/iraq/diarydig

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal
reply to post by againuntodust

All very suspicious. Apparently it was sent to Al-Jazeera first. WHY?!?!!? Wikileaks never ceases to make me more and more suspicious of their intentions and who really runs it.

Not quite right, Portugoal. They gave it to many papers and news organizations, but Al-Jazeera published it first. As Wikileaks twittered, Al-Jazeera broke the embargo about 30 minutes and so they lifted the embargo for everybody.
CNN wrote, that the material was offered to them, too, but they did not accept the conditions.

Zapping through different channels here, they made it into the most important media.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

Thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Your link is broken.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This leak will hopefully supply enough evidence to criminal charges in the Haugg for Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush for crimes against humanity...

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Granite

The Hague has no legitimacy. It's convinient to the creators of the ICC that it has no credibility otherwise many people would face it and be punished. Justice doesn't exist for these people and the various crimes they commit but they do exist for thousands of innocent civilians.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
what i find so incredibly stupid about this thread and every other thread is this:

you have a known anti war group such as wikileaks playing to the far left fringe basically preaching to the choir

but wait all the "supposed" evidence is just what exactly? suppose documents taken from the pentagon.

now how exactly does anyone sneak any document out of the pentagon.

i can sit here right at this pc and make a document and post on this website and any other website and scream at the top of my voice ITS FROM THE PENTAGON OH THE US MILITARY ARE JUST MURDERS.

you people are being spoon fed the information that YOU ALL WANT TO BELIEVE and NOT ONE OF YOU CHALLENGE IT.

simple fact what you people are taken as fact HAS NEVER BEEN PROVEN TO BE TRUE you just take assanges and wikileaks words to be true.

another thread just based on manipulation and lies.

im going to have a busy nite tonite.

sad state of affairs when opinions are being taken as facts these days i thought this site was all about deny ignorance and the masses THE SHEEPLE are just letting themselves just be manipulated by one guy seeking fame and fortune

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Obviously you have received the wrong impression from my thread. Or maybe you just didn't read the entire thread... What ever the case may be, I'm with you in saying I'm skeptical about the whole idea of Wikileaks.

This is a thread I created months ago:

What Wikileaks is Becoming

Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

i did man you have my apologies i think i got my threads confused tonite.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Going to be an even longer night.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The people at wikileaks should be swinging at Leavenworth.........no question about it. However, I wonder if our traitorous administration had something to do with this as well. Release this 2 weeks before the elections to try and sway support for the republicans.

top topics

join