It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Traveller Caught on 1928 Charlie Chaplin Film?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

A quantum cell phone? Interesting.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well in that rational a time traveler would be forever stuck in the past as time traveling would not have been invented then restricting the machine from performing the time traveling. So my theory of a cell phone still working in a time that didn't have cell phones holds some weight in my opinion. Just because the technology wasn't present in that time period doesn't mean that it wouldn't send the signal, ok I will give in a little and say there might be a delay of sorts. I am not implying you could take your cell and call someone from 1928, to me it would simply be only able to call someone from the time period in which the cell phone was from not at.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Fantastic.

Allow me to bring something else up......

H.G. Wells pursues Jack the Ripper to the 20th Century when the serial murderer uses the future writer's time machine to escape his time period.

www.imdb.com....

edit on 21-10-2010 by Majestic23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

I know what you mean. I have seen older radio transmitters, but my thought is perhaps they were testing the concept on a small scale, because I have seen some small radios as well. I think perhaps the hearing aids posted seem more likely. The black one on the far left seems to be about the right size and color.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hello ATS folks. This is only my second post, but I've been lurking for a few months now. Until now I haven't really beaten anyone to the punch on what I come up with regarding most threads. Here are my first thoughts on this one:

First, someone should rule out the possibility that this is a hoax perpetrated by the filmmaker who claims to have discovered this.

Assuming it's not a hoax, I move on to this:

The likelihood that's it's a time traveler using a cellphone is remote, at best.

I am a professional photographer, so that may be the reason I noticed the direction of the bright sunlight almost immediately. The actor appears to be blocking his/her face from the sunlight while holding an object (handkerchief for sweat?--looks hot to me, and they're wearing heavy clothing). Finally, since this is a silent film the actor may have felt at liberty to speak to the director or someone else off camera during the scene (this could be another reason for the hand to the face--to hide speaking)

As for the turn toward the camera--was the director behind the camera? Was whatever issue the actor was talking about deserving of eye contact? Did the actor think the camera wasn't rolling?

Whatever the case, it's a cool clip if it's genuine, but I believe cultural projection (as mentioned earlier
:up
is the likely culprit combined with an actor's brief communication with someone involved in the film-making process.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
This is a pretty strange clip, could be something very simple, his/her lips are moving and it does look like there is some kind of solid object in the hand. Looking at those little ear trumpets, they seem possible, but even the smaller ones seem a bit bulky for that. The hand also looks pretty weird to me, below I have raised the sharpness (bottom image is straight grab no adjustments) can see there is an object, looks to be dark & round.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Could it be a pocket warmer? I just remember seeing these somewhere,

www.goantiques.com...

I was trying to find some more info on them but didn't have much luck, shape & size would be about right though.

One thing last thing, can we stop with the "no masts so phones wont work", It made me laugh the first few times but then not so much.

Ok, this is most likely not a time traveler, however if the technology did exist for time travel, I'm sure they would have mastered a small comms device that doesnt need masts or satellites, there are already handheld 2 way radios that can do 20- 30 miles, and thats probably not even close the maximum a 2 way radio could do, so I would imagine a time traveler's radio comms device would be a bit more advanced than our current 2 way radios & IPhone's.

Cheers,

S
edit on 21-10-2010 by S3ns1bl3 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Martin Cooper, inventor of the cell phone, born in 1928.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

OS excllent find! and can we get what year they were round? ie the late 1920?
And i a assuming they would have cost a bit .
Cheers z

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
It's hard to say whether or not this person is holding something, but even if they were holding a cell phone, wouldn't it be useless back then? Don't you need cell towers and satellites and all that stuff for cell phones to even function?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
THis is interresting..

The guy ? doesn't seem to look 'out of date'

He looks like he is talking into something, but it is to hard to see to really explain it.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I believe the person looks like they might be either itching or fixing their hair in which right at the end before the fade of the new picture, you can see her push the final amount of hair back into the hat. Once again just my opinion! Looks pretty true at first!!! I just think that last cut shows that there was nothing in her hand.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

its probably nothing but do you see where she is walking insync step for step to the man in front??not that this could get any weirder.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

OS excllent find! and can we get what year they were round? ie the late 1920?
And i a assuming they would have cost a bit .
Cheers z

I found some information about the cost of electrical hearing aids in that time periode, and I don't think "ordinary" people could afford them. They seem to have been very expensive also in the 1930s and 1940s:

The next batch had more luck and by 1899 an electrically powered hearing aid could be purchased for around $400. This table sitting design with a microphone made of carbon, battery box and earpiece was far beyond the means of most, who worked for only a few dollars wage a week.

(...)

The twenties and thirties would see improvements with vacuum tubes being used as a better delivery tool for the gathered sound in a hearing aid, and also the invention of the Bone Conductor in 1933. This might sound like the name of a cartoon character that leads an orchestra made up of skeletal musicians, but was actually a very effective way of helping people to hear by sending sound through the bone at the side of the skull behind the ear, and bypassing the poorly performing ear. If you could put up with the headaches.

Increased portability was now the name of the game for electric hearing aids, and the thirties and forties saw many designs from competing manufacturers. Yet, whilst this may have been a noble goal, the physical results were large, cumbersome and expensive.

www.thehistoryof.net...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Well that was fun to watch, but if she/he is a time traveler why not modern clothing. My guess is that movie premieres like that sure draw the crazies and gawkers and she was talking to herself.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Is that a shoe she's holding?
Maybe it's a get smart shoe phone.

She's holding something. But maybe she's just a little crazy and speaking into a shoe.
ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!ha!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Majestic Lumen

yes I think we ca look more into teslas radio tech, unless of course it is a crazy man-lady
kind of like your avatar!!!this thread is just what I needed

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

reply to post by tyranny22

Your opinion is there is no talking, everyone else seems to think there is.....
Thanks for sharing...next please!
yes she is talking right before she fades out her lips are moving

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
The only thing I can really add to this is...

Wouldn't a time traveler be able to spring for a bluetooth?

By the way, who could she be talking to, there were no cell towers in that day and age. No way for the signal to be picked up and delivered to another device.

Great thread zazzy
edit on 10/21/2010 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

Just picked one out but people are thinking way to in the box on this one. Cell phone towers no reception? I'm not sure of what I'm looking at here but it does seem like she is taking into it, and I'm basing that on the reaction on her face as she speaks like she is reacting to something said to her, not signing like someone suggest.

And if in fact it is a time travaler just because there was no "network" setup here on earth at that time doesn't mean there was no network there or this might not even be a cell phone but another communications device unkown to us.

Or maybe and I know I"m going on a limb here but maybe that person isn't a person at all, maybe alien looking humanoid with advanced technology which was later introduced to us?
edit on 21-10-2010 by XNeMeSis21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
She could have just been listening to a radio and singing along

...even if this was an early cell phone wouldn't it have been MASSIVE?! I mean remember the 80's monstrosities!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Maybe this movie was a sci-fi about the future, where people could magically talk to each other whilst walking around using something called a 2 way radio?

Or....maybe it's really a cell phone being used by a time traveler who could communicate with the future from the past.

Tough choice.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join