It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs of our times: 38 Year Old Muslim-Canadian Elected Mayor of Calgary (In Redneck Country)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Probably the biggest stunner in Alberta election history happened last night when Naheed Nenshi was elected Mayor of Calgary.

www.calgaryherald.com...

Political newcomer Naheed Nenshi won a dramatic see-saw battle to become Calgary's mayor Monday night, capping a stunning rise that saw the business professor climb from the pack's fringes to the city's top job. Nenshi, 38, originally considered a long shot, defeated longtime alderman Ric McIver and former TV anchor Barb Higgins in a race that attracted voters in droves.

A son of immigrants who graduated from the prestigious American university of Harvard, Nenshi is Calgary's first visible minority mayor. He has also become the first leader of Muslim faith to head a major Canadian city.

Political observers were stunned by his meteoric rise. "It's a Cinderella story," said Lori Williams, a political scientist at Mount Royal University. "A lot of people thought he was too different . . . I think, though, that this reflects the diversity of the city."

Not only is Naheed Nenshi the first elected Muslim mayor in Canada, but the first one elected in Calgary- arguably the most conservative "Red-Neck" region in Canada.

I see this as a great step forward for Canada. Canada has always considered itself a multi-cultural nation; vigorously defending the rights of all citizens, regardless of where they came from, what they practice, and what they believe. Although there have been Muslims who have been elected to municipal, provincial, and even federal positions, this is the first time one has been elected as head of a government of a major city.

Of course, there are a lot of people in Calgary who are appalled and see this as the end of the world, but what do you expect?

60 years ago, anyone who was a European immigrant would have held the same controversy, and only 30-40 years ago, the same could be said for women.

Indeed, times are changing

edit on 19/10/1010 by Monts because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Congratulations! I'm glad to see this happen in Canada. Finally see Canada come to life in a good way.
Does anyone agree?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I love my country, Canada, not just as a Muslim, but because I take it as one of the most cultural and diverse country in the world, so many positive steps for one hell of a country.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Daniyal

I love my country too!

I couldn't imagine living anywhere else but right here, where people all seen as being a part of one nation- regardless of who they are or what they believe in.

Of course, we do have problems as any country does, but unlike other countries that tend to intensify these problems or sweep them under the rug, we do our best to work at and solve them!

Go Canada!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ImAnAlienOnMyOwnPlanet

I agree

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I first think its great that Calgary elected its first Muslim mayor! I heard that he is the first Muslim mayor to lead a major city in North America, which is awesome. However I do have some concerns in how you're portraying Calgary. Having grown up in the city and lived in many places across Canada I must say that there are far more conservative areas than this city. Neither are we "red-neck", which has very negative connotations associated with the word. There was talk during the campaign about him being Muslim, but Calgarians came out saying that they didn't care what religious or ethnic associations he has as long as he represents the people, and does a good job leading the city.

Anyway maybe it just took us "red-necks" to vote in this extraordinary man to convince the country otherwise...

Congrats Mr. Nenshi!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
CANADA! CANADA! CANADA!

Congradulations with this great success in your 'redneck country' of Canada. You Canadians consistently prove yourselves as the land of diversity and acceptance. Seriously where else could an immigrant Muslim in these times of rising Islamaphobia become the mayor of a major city in an very Conservative area?

What I also like is that he is an Independent politician, no political party!!

edit on 10/19/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I am an immigrant to Calgary and although not a Muslim but a christian I see nothing wrong in a guy being voted in !
It shows that even deep in Canadian "redneck" country that CANADIANS welcome everyone and DO NOT DISCRIMINATE or judge or condem people or label folk as to what color their skin is or what god and religon they practice. !
Canadians see and look apon people as individuals who must ALL be respected if respect is to be gained and peace be levelled amongst us all.

Sick and tired of race issues and religeous views of bigots !

GO Calgary
You lead the free world in acceptance of all.

COME visit us if you disbelieve

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapleleaf_Messenger

Your right that "redneck" does have negative connotations... however regardless of whether or not it is true, it is how a lot of Canadians see southern Alberta, Alberta, and even western Canada in General.

A good example of this was my friend who went to Ottawa to participate in mock forums where students from all over Canada got to debate political issues and learn about the way the government works. The first thing she told me was how everyone was calling the Alberta kids "red-necks" and commenting on how all the kids are driving there parents SUV's and are "oil rich, cowboy-hat wearing crazies". I could only think of Texas when I heard it
. It was all said jokingly of course, but she did feel the sting of stereotyping.

I view this just the same way you do; this is a great step forward in ridding Alberta in general of those negative connotations.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Three cheers for our Canadian neighbors.

Though to be fair, we do have an U.S Senator that is Muslim (Keith Ellison).

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Actually he is a member of the House of Representatives.

en.wikipedia.org...(politician)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Canada generally keeps religion out of the public eye. It doesn't mix with politics.
Another noticeable minority that made it big in Canadian politics is Ujjal Dosanjh, who is a Sikh. He has been politics here since the early 1990s.
en.wikipedia.org...

Now, when elections come up for the Prime Minister, we need someone a little more interesting than the chubby white guy, the skinny white guy, and the other white guy...

Having been raised in Vancouver, and now living in Saskatchewan, I happen to think the "rednecks" are the fun people.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Now, when elections come up for the Prime Minister, we need someone a little more interesting than the chubby white guy, the skinny white guy, and the other white guy...
Having been raised in Vancouver, and now living in Saskatchewan, I happen to think the "rednecks" are the fun people.

Just as a point of interest...I was told quite succinctly on this site, by a self-professed redneck, that he took offence at the term being used as a pejorative. I try not to use it in that manner any more.

That being said, having lived in Alberta for a couple of years...I'm just a little gobsmacked.
What's next? A gay mayor of Toronto? Oh, that'll be the day!

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I live in Calgary, and voted for Nenshi yesterday.

As an 18 year old Calgarian, (19 on Saturday) ill be intersted to see how he does as the the cities Mayor.

I believe he has the potential to do very well as the mayor of Calgary.

Personally, Ill however disagree with Calgary being "Redneck Country" Although im sure some people in Calgary wont like the results as would be the same in every city.

Cheers.
edit on 20-10-2010 by FoxMulder91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
Personally, Ill however disagree with Calgary being "Redneck Country" Although im sure some people in Calgary wont like the results as would be the same in every city.

I agree about Calgary. It's a city. I tend to look at "rednecks" as a little more country, more rural. Living in Sask, most of the people I know here call themselves rednecks, but all in good fun. Gretchen Wilson made being a redneck woman a good thing.

I just saw the new mayor interviewed on our morning news. He seems very knowledgeable and very nice. I think he will do very well.

top topics

join