It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being anonymous on ATS the right thing? I dont think so.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
why should i pay a fee, and if this change is made i am a developer i will rescript this entire site in about a week and make it free and anonymous. and why are you so interested in who i am.
edit on 19-10-2010 by fianna because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

I agree,
How about it ?

How about what? Did I miss something?

~meathead

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

You didnt miss a thing,
I'm agreeing,
and Mr Red should go first !
This thread needs launch to the trash.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

I dont think its a good idea OP. For 1 this is a conspiracy site and some material released should keep some individuals hidden (especially when E.T. post here lol) what do they do? Anyway I dont mind the hidden world because if people wanted that type of interation they would facebook-twitter-myspace then. This site allows somewhat a secret identity until you write on something that causes the govs. to take a deeper look into you and they can locate anyone regardless of their hidden profile, unless E.T. lol. So OP I disagree its ok to be anonymous at times. These sites are designed to be money makers first, sensitive information released second, observation point for ??? studying conspiracy theorist mindstates third viewing sensitive info. ect., and mabey -contact-. But not to personal EVER, I wouldnt take the individuals who upset you too serious OP.
edit on 10/19/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I disagree with the premise of the OP.

One of the strengths of this site, and sites like it, is its openness to the free exchange of ideas. I believe that the availability of relative anonymity is likely to be conducive to that exchange.

I want to stress the word "relative." Certainly, if the State considers it important enough to know exactly who I am, they will do so, and it will not take very long, my natural right to privacy notwithstanding. Yet, I feel that this is probably not the case; I am not that important and pose little, if any, threat. Even so, others here may have their reasons for concealing their identity from others. I, for one, am willing to respect that.

Regarding the issue of instituting a fee for membership here, I disagree with this. There may be those here for whom one dollar (or any other amount one might name) is a lot of money. They should not be shut out. Furthermore, some may avoid the use of electronic transactions and, I believe, may have good reasons for doing so. They should not be shut out either.

The intent of the OP is well-taken. I, too, have at times been dismayed by the dismally low signal-to-noise ratio of some of the discussions here. Personally, I find many threads here that I consider speculative, dubious, or even downright outlandish. Be that as it may, in the spirit of polite discourse, I will not engage in condescension, invective, or name-calling. This speaks to the idea of reputation mentioned by the OP. When people see my nickname, I want them to think, wow, this guy is intelligent, clear, concise, and documents his arguments well. But that goal, whether or not I am actually achieving it, does not require my name. I suppose that the best that one can do is to provide a good example. Hopefully, others will be induced to emulate it. Yet, I am pragmatic enough to realize that many will not. So be it.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

MrRed,
I understand your reasoning here, but this would / could not work. Too many things could and would go wrong. Let's face it there, the truth is there are some VERY unstable people on this site, and I would not want some of them getting any of my personal information.

The negative comments are just that, comments. I think there is too much sensitivity here. If someone is going to come on this site and make predictions or claim some unbelievable story to be true, they should be ready to either just ignore the negative comments or be able to fight them with their own words. The last thing to worry about is getting your feelings hurt from some stranger typing words.

That's just my two cents

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

I disagree, ATS has subject matter that requires some level of anonymity.
However I fear that the recent news of people suing various social media sites to find out who posters really are is heralding the end for anonymity on the net.

Actually it makes me wonder if ATS ever gets sued to release the actual names of it's members, what would happen to this site.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Mr Red, your arguments throughout this thread have become more and more offensive as you've tried to defend your side of the argument. You've used fear and ridicule amongst other tactics and labelled some threads BS.

Some of us take a kinder attitude towards our fellow members and don't like to see them or their world-view labelled in this way.

You stooped to a new low when you made your jibe at an Australian member and, in doing that, completely nobbled your own argument.

Would you have been so ready to make fun of someone who had a name you found amusing or who didn't meet your standards in the looks department?

Sadly, you have proved that anyone offering personal information on this site leaves themselves open to ridicule from members such as yourself.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The OP was not proposing a fee for the fee's sake - merely a notional amount so that identity could be verified. Perhaps via a credit card. You could do that without revealing your identity to the public.
And in fact, public identification is the only problem I see. Not because the authorities would be on to you (I really do think people over exaggerate their importance in this respect). But one careless comment, perhaps after a glass or three of vino and bang go your career prospects. Or even your job! Plus we all know about identity theft.
So basically a sound idea with that one caveat. As an added bonus, it would get rid of most of the 13 year olds on here too...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Yea, this isn't facebook.

This is ATS, a place where a lot of paranoid people, some with serious mental health issues, (and some who like to abuse the paranoid people some with serious mental health issues.) come to talk to each other.

Real names won't fly here.

OK! pot,

just kidding, joking, it's a joke , funny, ha ha.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well MR Red,.
You complain about the old members right off the bat
Well it seems to me we have a large rash of "new" members that don't have the simple ability to use the search button. Very frustrating to see someone bring up a topic that was discussed and debunked years ago and many times. Also there are those that use absolutely zero analysis in researching their topic before they bring it to the board. it usually takes an "old " member a few minutes to straiten out the mess by looking up the topic their selves.At least the Elder members have a better clue on how to navigate this site and help those that don't know better to see and understand reality from fiction.
You go ahead and post your personal info
I will just sit here "hiding" behind the "fake" name..

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrRed

I just want each person who wishes to post opinion or threads to have a FACE that is of YOU. Plus a first name. This can be varified with the owners of ATS......through a system.

NO OTHER details for members on members.

BUT A REAL FACE pic and first name confirmed by the ATS admin.

Thats all.

Unless you dont have any faith in the owners of ATS?

They already have some of your details. So you trust them that much. Or dont you?
edit on 18/10/10 by MrRed because: (no reason given)

Why is it such a big deal to you?
Who cares if I can see - say- Slayer69's - face or what his name is when I read his threads and posts? That really has nothing to do with the posts/threads themselves. No offense to Slayer69, ( sorry buddy, you were the first member that came to mind
)but I don't care what his name is or what he looks like when I read his posts. That pretty much goes for anyone's threads or posts. If it's a well written thread and it's something that interests me then I read it. I do not need to know any details personal or otherwise about the person posting them. Neither do you IMO. If someone is posting porky pies then that is their problem and most of the members of ATS are pretty good at detecting BS and very capable of critical thinking.

I'm curious about something though. Why if you think we should all be using our real names and photos have you signed up as MrRed and why is your avatar not your photo? Maybe you could lead by example...
edit on 19-10-2010 by sugarmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

This is why conspiracy theorists are branded "crazy", "anti-this, anti-that". Its because there are too few who are open and upfront with their opinions. these few people carry the rest of you. But they are too light in numbers. They do not have support from any of YOU....

Dude, for several years now I have gone to flea markets, farmers markets and other places and handed out index cards with information about the Fed/Fractional Reserve Banking Ripoff and the Food Safety Fraud I ask the people I talk to to tell ten others and sk them to tell ten others. It is working, Now when I mention the Fed people know what I am talking about.

I do not tell people who I am or what I do for a living or where I live. It is not necessary to the conversation. It also can come back to bite me big time. You want an example???

“Some people think the Federal Reserve Banks are United States Government institutions. They are not Government institutions. They are private credit monopolies which prey upon the people of the United States for the benefit of themselves and their foreign customers; foreign and domestic speculators and swindlers and rich and predatory money lenders.”...

“Mr. Chairman, when the Federal reserve act was passed the people of the United States did not perceive that a world system was being set up... that this country was to supply financial power to an international superstate--a superstate controlled by International bankers and international industrialists acting together to enslave the world for their own pleasure.” — Louis McFadden, chairman of the House Banking and Currency Committee June 10, 1932
Excerpts : www.modernhistoryproject.org...

Congressman, Louis T. McFadden, brought formal charges against the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve Bank system, The Comptroller of the Currency and the Secretary of United States Treasury for numerous criminal acts, including but not limited to, CONSPIRACY, FRAUD, UNLAWFUL CONVERSION, AND TREASON.

So what happen to McFadden? He lost his seat in Congress, was shot at twice, poisoned and "died of the stomach flue"

Want another Example?

To everyone's surprise, Morgan admitted that the bank routinely created money "out of thin air" for its loans, and that this was standard banking practice. "It sounds like fraud to me," intoned Presiding Justice Martin Mahoney amid nods from the jurors. In his court memorandum, Justice Mahoney stated:

Plaintiff admitted that it, in combination with the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, . . . did create the entire $14,000.00 in money and credit upon its own books by bookkeeping entry. That this was the consideration used to support the Note dated May 8, 1964 and the Mortgage of the same date. The money and credit first came into existence when they created it. Mr. Morgan admitted that no United States Law or Statute existed which gave him the right to do this. A lawful consideration must exist and be tendered to support the Note.

The court rejected the bank's claim for foreclosure, and the defendant kept his house.
www.webofdebt.com...

So What happened??

Justice Mahoney, who was not dependent on campaign financing or hamstrung by precedent, went so far as to threaten to prosecute and expose the bank. He died less than six months after the trial, in a mysterious accident that appeared to involve poisoning.

Other Judges are not so brave.

Since that time, a number of defendants have attempted to avoid loan defaults using the defense Daly raised; but they have met with only limited success. As one judge said off the record:

If I let you do that – you and everyone else – it would bring the whole system down. . . . I cannot let you go behind the bar of the bank. . . . We are not going behind that curtain!

It is bad enough that we can be tracked through our IP addresses. I am not about to make it easy for TPTB. A customer who was former Secret Service told me EVERYONE who is former FBI, CIA, Secret Service, or Military is now on the government's Watch List. I see no reason for those of us at ATS to give them more ammunition by placing or private info out there for all to see.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
OP - You are clearly not winning your argument and as I have been warned for losing my temper recently I will bite my tongue.

Whilst I can agree that ATS would be better off vetting particular people, I cannot agree with charging a subscription or anything that will force any member from disclosing any personal details. I believe it would be detremental to ATS and all of its members if anything like that was imposed.

PeAcE
edit on 19-10-2010 by franspeakfree because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
We don't require more than a valid email address for registration. We have never charged for participation, or as much as accepted donations. None of that is going to change. Continued participation is based solely upon a member's willingness to adhere to the site's Terms and Conditions Of Use.

Closed.

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join