It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to appear on tv show Mythbusters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouDoSeeMe
reply to post by damwel

It's a little hard for the Republicans to block, well, ANYTHING, seeing as they are and have been the minority in both houses since the beginning of Obama's tyranny-- er, I mean presidency

I think they need to do a show about all the crazy myths people believe about government like this gem right here. The US has done a fabulous job of making people too ignorant to even have a political point of view and maybe MB should tackle that.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I feel the same way about him campaigning for our senators here. I believe as president, he shouldn't be wasting time campaiging or making public appearances. But working to help the nation, even if it's just diplomacy. Also, I never considered Mythbusters as a science show directed at children. Seems like he's acting like a celebrity or figurehead royalty, keeping up appearances and leaving the ruling up to other people.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by damwel

i love how the dems have the majority, and they are still trying to pass the buck to the other side of the isle and deny responsibility......classic.....

I love how people like you who are so vocal on ATS about politics say something like clearly demonstrating you have no real understanding of the mechanics of the 3 main branches of government in the US. The president is encouraging educationd and people are upset about it?

I think responses like the one above are why.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Is he going to be showing kids how to scientifically differentiate between a genuine and a fake long-form birth certificate from the State of Hawaii ?

edit on 18-10-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
Is he going to be showing kids how to scientifically tell how to differentiate between a genuine and fake long-form birth certificate from the State of Hawaii ?

Can you?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiousisall
Can you?

If I actually saw President Obama's long-form birth certificate from the State of Hawaii, then I may be able to give you an answer.

But, then again, I'm not POTUS.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't think the few hours it may take out of Obama's schedule is worthy of concern. Take a look at what presidents have done with their "free" time in the past, then compare it to appearing on a popular television show to help spark kids' interest in science.

While presidents are and SHOULD be the busiest men in the country, they get more vacation time than your average blue collar man or woman trying to make ends meet.

Anyone who is up-in-arms over this television appearance quite obviously has pre-existing hatred, issues or problems with our current POTUS (not that I'm making a judgment of those individuals).

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Then hopefully this episode of Mythbusters will help you out be explaining that Hawaii does not issue a long for so the idea of comparing one to a "real" one is um...crazy. Please watch the episode, you may learn something.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouDoSeeMe
reply to post by damwel

It's a little hard for the Republicans to block, well, ANYTHING, seeing as they are and have been the minority in both houses since the beginning of Obama's tyranny-- er, I mean presidency

I think they need to do a show about all the crazy myths people believe about government like this gem right here. The US has done a fabulous job of making people too ignorant to even have a political point of view and maybe MB should tackle that.

Who has the Majority in Congress? It is the Democrats. During the Congressional elections of 2006 for the 110th Congress, the Democratic Party regained control of both Houses of Congress for the first time since the election of 1994 when they lost control of the House. They gained 33 seats in the House and picked up six in the Senate. The US House of Representatives will have 234 Democrats and 201 Republicans. The U.S. Senate will be comprised of 49 Democrats, 49 Republicans and 2 Independents, both whom plan to caucus with the Democrats. The Democrats will have a 51-49 majority in the US Senate.
Checks and balances
To prevent one branch from becoming supreme, protect the "opulent minority" from the majority,and to induce the branches to cooperate, governance systems that employ a separation of powers need a way to balance each of the branches. Typically this was accomplished through a system of "checks and balances", the origin of which, like separation of powers itself, is specifically credited to Montesquieu. Checks and balances allow for a system based regulation that allows one branch to limit another, such as the power of Congress to alter the composition and jurisdiction of the federal courts

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
Who has the Majority in Congress? It is the Democrats.

What is the myth you believe about government?

That the majority party cannot be hindered by the minority party. You would be wrong.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Then hopefully this episode of Mythbusters will help you out be explaining that Hawaii does not issue a long for so the idea of comparing one to a "real" one is um...crazy. Please watch the episode, you may learn something.

LOL.

I'm only messing around.

I have no vested interest in whether he was born in Hawaii or not ( I think that he probably was ).

Although, I find the conspiracy theories surrounding President Obama's citizenship to be a very interesting topic, for a number of reasons.

And I'm speaking as someone from outside the US, so I have no tedious, bi-partisan axe to grind on this subject.

edit on 18-10-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Yahoo News Link

What are everyone's thoughts that a sitting president is appearing on an entertainment based television show when there are many more pressing issues at hand in the world?

I think this is a great PR gig for *former Presidents, but not for the current President.
Bad move, in my opinion. The Pres's PR guy needs to be canned.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Well you may be joking around but that is a real argument pushed here on ATS in many of the birther threads. People claim that they think something nefarious is going on because they never saw something that does not exist and want to see it so they can compare it to something else they never saw because it still does not exist. I am not sure what Mythbusters is going to do with junk like that but I am sure it will not settle it.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Sounds like a poopooganda stunt to me. As in:
"Look at me, I'm the Pres, watch me be kewl on the tube, then vote for other kewl Donkeys like me!"

P.S. Please note I'm not coming right out and calling him an *ss. Democrats did that themselves by choosing a Donkey as their mascot.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Going on an entertainment television show is a bad thing for a President to do?

Rupert Murdoch calls Fox an Entertainment Channel, and Bush went on there.... M00t point much?

The President's approval rating is low, but one of his strong suits is education, so why not play up that front when close to an election?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I never thought that far about well known people on ATS, but I suppose your right.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by afterschoolfun
Since when is Myth Busters science? They aren't scientists... they even say at the beginning of every show, they're special effects people i.e. blow stuff up and shoot guns at stuff.

Obviously someone who doesn't watch the show. They always talk about the principles behind what they are trying to do. They also show to formulate ways of testing a hypothesis. It's call the scientific method, but I guess that has nothing to do with science now, does it?

I have no problem with any President doing a quick 30 second spot like this.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Not to be outdone by her hubbie...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Give me a break. Good for him, kids need to get into science.

If I was a kid, watching him on mythbusters will discourage me to get into science.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
Who has the Majority in Congress? It is the Democrats.

What is the myth you believe about government?

That the majority party cannot be hindered by the minority party. You would be wrong.

But that is the point of checks and balances. Call it hinderance if you must but that is the core of checks and balances.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join