It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the quality differences in the gear we hoard.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
well, hoard isn't quite the right word, but i am a gear enthusiast in many ways.
i have enough stashed in a shed to power and supply a small commune.
the one thing that drives me nuts is watching people be proud of the stuff they obtain.
i look at some of this junk and think, man looks cool, but check out the quality.
i can pretty much run down differences in everything from camping gear to rugged older vehicles
clothing, accessories and stuff like boots.
ok, lets start with your hiking boots.
turn them upside down, push your 2 thumbs into the sole around the widest part, middle of foot.
if there's movement, you are able to push in the sole of your boot, it's junk.
now, take it upside down, sideways in both hands.
if you can basically bend the boot in two, it is junk.
looks are nothing.
who the hell cares about how you look running from a hit squad.
blend in, and survive is the key, no?
so, without turning this into an advertising thread for the usual name brands,
do you have a style you like?
i see all this camo stuff everywhere, 'mossy oak' comes to mind.
such a high percentage is just junk. looks good, but junk.
most of the boots or jackets, specially the boots, i can wear out in a couple of months.
compare some of this to something in the 'danner' catalog and you'll see what i mean.
looks can be deceiving, some actually look very similar.
i can wear out one pair in a couple of months, and the other can go a couple of years of abuse.
i have no problem paying twice as much or better.
my 'gregory' pack is still kicking ass and taking names after 5 years in the woods.
ok, that's two name brands, but you get the idea.
was that old 10x hat you bought 10 years ago worth the price?

edit on 17-10-2010 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
A person just getting into the concept of prepping usually has little to no frame of reference for quality gear over bargain bin junk because well they are new and can't really be faulted for not knowing up from down in a new field that they may very well have no overlapping knowledge. Especially in the cases of people just getting started they don't always have a mentor to look to for advice on quality gear or haven't learned the sites with reputable gear reviews so they end up learning the hard way through trial and error.

< slightly off topic >
I can appreciate the criticism of footwear on a whole new level, I recently purchased a pair of Original Swat boots much like you see a lot of police officers wearing and I can safely say they are the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever worn, well worth the 75$ I paid when I could have probably gotten something for half the price at Walmart. After a few weeks of non-stop daily wear I haven't seen the first loose thread or torn seam and the sole is just as solid as the day I peeled them out of the box.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
lets discuss your tent briefly.is it a tarp bottom? like that blue plastic with grommet holes?
junk.
does the rain fly reach almost to the ground? is it a bit heavier material than the rest of the tent.
thin almost slimy rubber coating on inside? no, you say.
i say junk, first heavy sideways rain, you'll see what i mean.
is it a semi-tall dome? seriously suck in high wind.
geodesic and other shapes are much better.
please don't tell me the bug out tent your going to trust has heavy fiberglass poles and not ones made out of aluminum tubing.
once again, junk!

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
A person just getting into the concept of prepping usually has little to no frame of reference for quality gear over bargain bin junk because well they are new and can't really be faulted for not knowing up from down in a new field that they may very well have no overlapping knowledge.

yes, that's part of what this thread is about. i've been beating up gear for 46 years.
sometimes real military gear is superior.
yes the government does pay for some of the best.
but i've even noticed the difference in some of the new chinese made american military bdu's.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I've always been of the mind to carry as little so you can move fast and far, gear weighs you down, my kit consists of a day assault bag with camelback and a combat vest, anything else i need i will scrounge along the way

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
lets discuss your tent briefly.is it a tarp bottom? like that blue plastic with grommet holes?
junk.
does the rain fly reach almost to the ground? is it a bit heavier material than the rest of the tent.
thin almost slimy rubber coating on inside? no, you say.
i say junk, first heavy sideways rain, you'll see what i mean.
is it a semi-tall dome? seriously suck in high wind.
geodesic and other shapes are much better.
please don't tell me the bug out tent your going to trust has heavy fiberglass poles and not ones made out of aluminum tubing.
once again, junk!

Because when TSHTF i just know I'll need super groovy stuff, like tarp bottom tents.

No need for junk when youre butt is on fire...

Do splades count as implements, or should I throw them out too??

Cant ever bee too sure !! Oo

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

if you REALLY need one, carry a gardening shovel or an E-Tool

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

totally agree concerning my bugout bag.
not including water i'm around 40 pounds.
boots and all.
light sidearm and not a whole lot of ammo.
conditions when the time comes may vary that load.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

obviously didn't catch my sarcasm in calling all that gear of yours junk.

you do have a point in the 'groovy' though.
all these bright colors, even almost neon.
who wants it, spot that by satellite.
finding a dirt brown colored quality tent isn't easy.
i don't want to be covered in military camo either.
there's something about wearing the same stuff as the guys who are chasing you.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
get yourself a decent hiking rig and a piece of camo netting and cover it

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Well as for the fancy foot ware, lemme say this: Back in the day when they still taught new recruits skills that didnt necessarily pertain to chasing down citizens.... the first thing we learned how to do was take care of our feet.

What shoes you have on isnt nearly as important as how conditioned your feet are, though I do very much agree about the high priced, low quality, "shiny/spiffy" camping gear.

Honestly the best thing you can do if you ever foresee being on foot for long periods of time is to just start walking more. If you're in area where it's practicle, walk outside barefoot as much as possible.
If the shoes bend in half, this can actually be a good thing as you do not ever want to walk for 5, 10, or 20+ miles wearing "new" shoes...you want them to be broken in.
*ETA* Also, lighter soles make lighter tracks.

there's something about wearing the same stuff as the guys who are chasing you

Im sorry, but the only appropriate response I can think of to this, is:

Whatever gave you the idea that the folk who are chasing you will all be in camo, even if they are soldiers?
When shtf, as now, I say rather to trust folk based on their actions, not their looks.

If it happened to be me chasing you, it's most likely because I want to try and trade you some of my cat gut for a bit of that tasty looking squirrel you have there!
edit on 17-10-2010 by blood0fheroes because: addage

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   
No point in all the 'military' stuff in small country like Denmark, or Holland, or.........
Just get plenty of dried/tinned food, water collectors, something for cooking heat, some form of self defence.
and passive defence.
Just a little bit of food on display for the determined thief, the rest well hidden.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
As a general rule you get what you pay for.
Good stuff rarely comes cheap. US army surplus is usually good quality.
Avoid catalog outdoor discount outlets, most of the things they sell are junk though you will find exceptions.
Stick with name brands for the most part, especially with guns, clothes, boots, optics and tools.
You never know what you have until you go try it out in adverse conditions.
You sure don;t want stuff failing on you when you're in a bad spot.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by blood0fheroes

Whatever gave you the idea that the folk who are chasing you will all be in camo, even if they are soldiers?

camo, all black, whatever.
i'll be able to tell the u.n. troops by the blue hat.
now, when you're chasing me for part of my dead squirrel, what will you be wearing, and will you be shooting at me?
if you're wearing camo, firing live rounds my way and screaming, 'give me that damn squirrel', i may mistake you for an enemy.
btw, hint, hint.
cat gut in trade for fresh food ain't gunna' cut it.
got anything i might actually want or need?

edit on 18-10-2010 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Ahh, some clarity on the issue! You were talking about UN troops! Heh.

I will definitely not be shooting at you, and If im shouting anything, it will most likely be something to the effect of "I just wanna talk to you!" (Which for some unfathomable reason always seems to come across as threatening....)
*eta* As for attire, assuming im not just getting off duty for the day when tshtf, most likely something in subdued, darker, solid colors. Good greens and browns.

Now since youre not interested in the cat gut (has more uses than you can imagine; your loss) and now that I have your attention, name your price!

edit on 18-10-2010 by blood0fheroes because: addage

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by blood0fheroes

I will definitely not be shooting at you, and If im shouting anything, it will most likely be something to the effect of "I just wanna talk to you!" (Which for some unfathomable reason always seems to come across as threatening....)
*eta* As for attire, assuming im not just getting off duty for the day when tshtf, most likely something in subdued, darker, solid colors. Good greens and browns.

yea, earth tones is my thing.
if i'm in the desert i'll glue cactus on me for cover.

"I just wanna talk to you!"

this is a tough one, sure ya' do. i've had cops tell me that more than once.

i think we all need to come up with a few gang signs. something so we can tell who the good guys are.
this is one of the reasons i don't like military issue camo.
guy dressed in it from head to foot yelling, 'i just want to talk to you' ain't gunna' cut it.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
so, how's every ones escape vehicle?
mines a standart 350 carburated chevy. 4 bolt main and a turbo 400 auto.
most of the extra-parts i need are in a tool box along with the tools and knowledge i need to fix it myself.
i'd prefer an old international 345, but man, ever try and find scout parts?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I know I would go with a 180 lb draw weight cross bow, easy enough to make new bolts in a wooded area, silent. Like a rifle, it can be fired lying down, modern crossbows don't weigh any more than a full bore rifle.
One tip about wet clothes, never, ever, sleep in wet clothes, they will make your sleeping bag wet, which will take days to dry out, and one thing that is needed anytime, not just sitX is warm, dry, sleep.
Remember, clothes to 'work' in, and clothes to sleep in, dont mix them up either.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
I know I would go with a 180 lb draw weight cross bow,

One tip about wet clothes, never, ever, sleep in wet clothes,

ah, 2 very good tips.i've only experienced a cross bow a few times. a friend is extremely good with one.
the basic 'silent stalking' with a bow is quite interesting to me. stalking or fleeing from humans is much different than hunting experiences with animals.

as far a wet clothes, i've always been a fan of wool. real wool, raw wool.
most wool has had the lanolin removed. they use it for a lot of things like hand lotion.
the lanolin is basically what makes wool waterproof, once removed it does not act the same.
ireland and new zealand still make some of the best natural wool sweaters and stuff in the world.
equador and peru also do some excellent wool.
i have a peruvian yak wool sweater that sheds water like a raincoat.
thin wool socks will help with foot stink and many other issues. wicks the moisture off your skin.
alpaca is the best for items you might wear against your skin like socks.
it does not itch like sheep wool.
oohhh, so soft. thin items are available, but everyone usually just thinks heavy and warm considering wool.
i wear thin alpaca sock under my hiking boots in the summer.
cotton makes my feet stink.

edit on 18-10-2010 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Good choice... easy to work on! Nothing in the motor of a V-8 350 is too hard to reach except maybe the last spark plug under the brake lines off the booster. I prefer a four core radiator for hard running and heavy pulling or hauling.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join