It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gates Foundation Requests Proposals for Better Education System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

.... The request for proposals (RFP) for new learning techniques category helps in acquiring lots of ideas to promote education system. On speaking on grant for such proposals Gates told, “You just have to show us something that's new and different and we'll give you a grant… We'll see some neat things, we'll fund some neat things, but we're willing to have a fairly low success rate on that.” ....

Technology should be making education cheaper and expanding access thereof to a more global scale. This is excellent news, it's about time the US education system gets an upgrade, I personally know that a lot of education can be done through computers and robotics in the near future.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
That's one hell of a good opportunity.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Nice. However, I posted a comment there that they should fix the alarming typo in the following sentence. The comment has not appeared yet. (Also, there's a grammatical error in that same sentence.)

I'm a teacher. Can you tell? LOL!

"Gates seem to think that the technology can really make a 'n-word' impact on education system and solve its problems that education industry is facing today."

edit on 10/15/2010 by new_here because: Grammatical error in my own sentence... lol

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux

.... The request for proposals (RFP) for new learning techniques category helps in acquiring lots of ideas to promote education system. On speaking on grant for such proposals Gates told, “You just have to show us something that's new and different and we'll give you a grant… We'll see some neat things, we'll fund some neat things, but we're willing to have a fairly low success rate on that.” ....

Technology should be making education cheaper and expanding access thereof to a more global scale. This is excellent news, it's about time the US education system gets an upgrade, I personally know that a lot of education can be done through computers and robotics in the near future.

My suggestion? Let people learn what they are interested in. I think one of the main problems
with the education system is that they currently have a one size fits all mentality which is
more of a hinderance to learning than anything else. Not everyone learns in the same way.
Yes we all need a basic understanding of fundementals however it could be done in a more
productive way than it is being done now. Advanced information can be taught in a way that
interest people. Basically, we should see what people like doing and tailor teaching accordingly.

No, I am not an grammar teacher as you can tell.

edit on 15-10-2010 by Mr. D because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Exactly! Everyone i've spoken to on the subject of education reform has stated that students should be able to study that which interests them. Of course we'd have to teach the basics to them, but i think that by High School each student should be in classes that pertain to their interests.

Also, (and this is coming from a Senior!) i feel that High School should have some classes which would educate us leaving High School about how the world works....you know, bills, credit... It seems kind of senseless to me to just throw us into the world and say "good luck!"

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The sad part is, Gates is not our friend. Those ideas may sound good right now...

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by canadianfrontier

I consider Gates to be a very friendly guy.

top topics

join