It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is love, is love the answer to what ails our world?.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nakiannunaki
In my opinion there are two forms of love one being emotional and the other being compassionate.
Emotional love is the form associated with new relationships and encompass lust, passion, desire, romance and the like and is often born of selfish needs to feel a certain way in order to bring about happy chemicals in one's self.
This form of love to me is the lesser love of the two but what many mistake for real love.
Compassionate love or Universal love in my opinion is real love and is born of a selfless giving. It is what a mother and father use to nurture their children it is what a stranger offers to another in their time of need like sharing food or clothing. It is this form of love that is needed in the world and ultimately the only force that will overwhelm selfish and "evil" desires associated with the ego.

Always the optimist.

I am an optimist as well - In the end everything will work out as intended - It's all about making choices.
This world and its ways imprison us if we comply
Some evil ones would imprison us without our consent - they show little compassion - they are without love because they choose hate. greed. violence and other lower emotions. Thay are without love and would sacrifice it upon an altar of fear and contempt to keep the world in state of inbalance for their own selfish gain.
Apart from that everythings cool ha ha

edit on 14-10-2010 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

Which definition are you trying to nail down?

I love ice cream.
I love my job.
Love is a many splendored thing.
I love my wife.
Love thy neighbor as thyself.

The English language has many words that have mulitple meanings and applications. The word Love is one of those words. Narrow down the definition first, the specific definition you're concerned with. Then maybe I can help you.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nakiannunaki

Thanks for the song nakiannunaki.
Our arstistc/creative sides can sometimes express love the best.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by artistpoet
It is not contained in a mathmatical formula and defies the simplistic notion of "chemical reactions in the brain"
What is love, is love the answer to what ails our world?.

It's not just chemical reactions in the brain, but that has a lot to do with it. Love is essentially a feeling that is genetically driven that lowers our natural defenses against attack from others and allows us to procreate. Much of it has to do with pheromone response -- selection for optimum histocompatability -- but there is also some instinctual hard wiring done in the brain that has to do with template matching. We select mates who are similar to us, but not so similar that they are closely related. That helps us avoid inbreeding and runaway mutation.

Unfortunately, love is not the answer to what ails our world.
In fact, it will be the thing that ultimately destroys us.

Love makes us want to breed past the planet's carrying capacity. Love makes us want our family members to live forever. Love makes us cut down our forests and poison our land so we can build houses and huge SUVs to safely drive our precious children to school and soccer practice. Our love makes us selfish and willing to kill anyone who threatens the ones we love. And it's all encouraged by society as a "good" thing. Those who have more pragmatic notions are seen as cold and evil.

So try again.

Most of what is "scientifially observed" is merely affect and not cause and often cloaks its ignorance in language that is not understood by the majority -
If you are taking a Eugenics stand then-
I guess the psedo scientific elite have leant their mistake - When certain bloodline and eminent members of society thought - That by interbreeding with each other their children would be giants of intelligence.

The love you described is mostly negative and of a lower form that debases
I choose to seek a higher more intelligent love, you choose which way you want.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
What's Love?
I wrote the following 20 years ago, and it doesnt need that much study to understand;

Love's been around since the beginning of time
it's a four letter word that's so hard to define,
it's a rain of emotions that pours from the soul
it goes from having it all to losing control,
it's the beating of a heart, the slamming of a door
a laughter filled room and tears on the floor,
it's all that you are and all that you do
it's all that I want, but wanting it more for you!
That's love.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Pleasure

Always the optimist.
edit on 14-10-2010 by nakiannunaki because: 2nd line

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

I love ice cream.
I love my job.
I love my wife.

The English language has many words that have mulitple meanings and applications. The word Love is one of those words. Narrow down the definition first, the specific definition you're concerned with. Then maybe I can help you.

Yes get you - I was thinking about unconditional love.
Like what has been said of the love between a Mother and child
Or discuss the idea of a higher intelligent love
Cheers

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Love isn't the answer to world problems.

Some people love to hate others. The answer to the worlds problems is tolerance. When people can start to tolerate others then we can finally be a happy world. They can love to hate someone all they want, as long as they tolerate them.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
What's Love?
I wrote the following 20 years ago, and it doesnt need that much study to understand;

Love's been around since the beginning of time
it's a four letter word that's so hard to define,
it's a rain of emotions that pours from the soul
it goes from having it all to losing control,
it's the beating of a heart, the slamming of a door
a laughter filled room and tears on the floor,
it's all that you are and all that you do
it's all that I want, but wanting it more for you!
That's love.

Hi - Thanks for the poem - yes love can be all sorts of things it seems to get around easy.
Of course jelousy and posesivness can creep in and spoil the fun

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
Love isn't the answer to world problems.

Some people love to hate others. The answer to the worlds problems is tolerance. When people can start to tolerate others then we can finally be a happy world. They can love to hate someone all they want, as long as they tolerate them.

I agree with what you say if we were tollerant it would make for a much better world indeed.
Some hate for sure, we can all have hatreds but it is a matter of degrees.
Could you hate a person enough to do them harm.........
Hate is not love, As day is not night.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
"Love from one side hurts, but love from two sides heals"

"Love sought is good, but given unsought is better"

My favorite quotes about love because they are so true.

Shakespeare is the author of the quotes.

Love is a wonderful thing

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

"Love from one side hurts, but love from two sides heals"

"Love sought is good, but given unsought is better"

My favorite quotes about love because they are so true.

Shakespeare is the author of the quotes.

Love is a wonderful thing

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Love is a trick nature pulls on you to get you to reproduce. Seriously in its purest form it is forgiveness, it is not judgmental, it is unconditional, and always accepting.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Anyone can find a cause to die for, but few can find a cause to live for.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
What you sow does not come to life unless it dies.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Love is real, real is love
Love is feeling, feeling love
Love is wanting to be loved

Love is touch, touch is love
Love is reaching, reaching love
Love is asking to be loved

Love is you
You and me
Love is knowing
We can be

Love is free, free is love
Love is living, living love
Love is needing to be loved

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
To love is to know. To know is to see yourself in others. Therefore, the more you know yourself, the more you love others.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

I love ice cream.
I love my job.
I love my wife.

Yes get you - I was thinking about unconditional love.
Like what has been said of the love between a Mother and child
Or discuss the idea of a higher intelligent love
Cheers

The short answer is that Love is what we feel when we instinctively realize that we've connected with what it will take to satisfy our base survival imperative.

As corporeal matrixes, we feel it when we connect with another human being that will enable us to move our genetic identity forward within the corporeal matrix of offspring - ensuring that our corporeal selves will likely be physically represented (through contextual identity we share with that offspring - DNA basically) beyond our allotted stretch of time as viable assemblies.

"Spiritual" love is felt by our generated Intellect selves, when we realize that we've found a potential means to continue to develop beyond the death of our corporeal Intellect generators. Very complicated, but with the death of the brain, the further development of the Intellect (spiritual) self ceases, and the human being is fully "grown". That end of development, and progressive physical gathering of units of Intellect, leaves the collected mass wanting more, and that want is felt in the same way that the corporeal want for a mate feels. Love starved is a good word for it.

As far as Agape Love is concerned, this is a very different kind of expression, and isn't related to the satiation of need. It is a feminine expression of Intellect (relatively speaking), and only the Intellect generating brain (I call it human regardless of what it looks like or where it calls home) is capable of generating this expression. In fact, true Agape Love is extremely rare and most human brains are incapable of generating it. Even when it is generated, it is never for more than a very short burst. Like a trout flipping through the air before falling back into the life-giving depth of a northern lake. Too much of that fresh air and the trout is dinner.

Love is fascinating, and is the only noun that can be an antonym of itself.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jovi1
Love is a trick nature pulls on you to get you to reproduce. Seriously in its purest form it is forgiveness, it is not judgmental, it is unconditional, and always accepting.

Thanks for your post Jovi
Yes a pretty neat trick though people do deliberately try to have children also.
Sex can be loveless also.
Love can aquire many qualities such as the ones you mention - forgivenes - non judgemental - unconditional and accepting.
It is all a matter of degrees of a deeper understanding of ourselves and what I think is our true nature.

<< 1    3 >>

join