It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scientific Wish List.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Name your technology!

This is just a thread for the dreamer and those who enjoy where science can take us if we are willing and focused.
I am kind of interested in what others think and I hope everyone at least pitches in something of interest as I have always seen such ATS topics introduce many great ideas as well as quandaries that science has over looked. ATS has such an abundance of genuine and clear thinkers that it is always a treat to see what people’s ideas are in regards to technology. So this thread is about advanced technology and where it can lead as a result of scientific postulation even if the science for it is lacking at this point.

In this case if you would be inclined to name a specific technology that you think would be beneficial for humanity either for life support or recreation or anything whatsoever that would be great. Moreover it can be about advancements you have read about and your thoughts on it, and the advancements that are made possible by it.
It can be as advanced as you can imagine or it can be rock solid quantifiable hard science, it doesn’t matter. Think of this thread as a scientific wish list. What we want and what we may have to do to get there.

For example:
Ring worlds
Teleportation
Orbital towers
Types of propulsion
Matter transmutation
AI development
Immortality
Hive minds or downloadable consciences
Or complete and utter ascension from the physical plain using physical methods.

Just as long as it can be to some degree backed up by even speculative science.

Since I like Sci-Fi books a lot, and tend to enjoy reading about mega constructs and advanced cultures I would probably pick a ring world or an orbital structure. I would then explain why I think it is something that is good for humanity or not and address some of the problems with it. In addition I would also explain using pure and concentrated PSUEDO SCIENCE how such a thing may be built and why. If for any reason these instructions are unclear let me know and Ill try to clarify.

I hope this sparks some interest with others as much as I’m interested in hearing from those here on ATS.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I realize the ISS is a necessary first step to occupy space. I think it need to serve as a launch pad. Anything we build that is floating in space is too vulnerable to even the smallest meteorites.
I would like to see our Moon (and finally give it a name) occupied. Build underground cities that can support us.
That could provide meteor and radiation protection. The Moon as I understand it, was formed from bits of what formed the Earth. Therefore we would be familiar with what we mined for fuel and alloys etc.

Now we would have a true launch pad to send massive ships in search of a more hospitable planet (with an atmosphere)

All of these discarded rocket boosters would be a thing of the past. Earth's gravitational pull is weighing us down!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

Thanks for the post that's exactly what I was hoping for.
I think colonizing the moon she be the first thing humanity does before anything else. It would really be the litmus test for any further spending.

I would like to imagine we could start that successfully within the next 30 years perhaps. is there a data base that charts meteors hitting the moon and their sizes? It would be bad if one smacked a colony location even and underground one.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

I don't think spending the money is a question. I believe several countries are full on tying to get out there first, no mater what they say. The data base would be useless as they are random and come in at 360 degrees.We would just have to dig deep.

A 2 millimeter speck at 60K mph is deadly. It will be a risk but I know we are going to try. The sheer population explosion over the next 25 years will force the issue.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

I only mention cost because for some reason it seems that if there is ever a driving force for people to accomplish something it is either impending demise or financial gain. Everything in between is like getting a teenager to wash the dishes.

I wonder if it would be viable given current technology to attempt some kind of deflection field that would reach out far enough from the surface of the moon to slowly nudge smaller debris and dust away from such colonies. Otherwise I suppose they will have to look into fabricating self sealing and or self healing super strong materials.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
A replicator with an unlimited energy source like aether.

This small thing would make hunger, hard labor and so on obsolete.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Sweet.....I actually read something like that once but it ran off of thought. I mean it read your mind, saw what you saw understood it as you do and then used the the atoms in the air to create it. Its power source was also from the atoms. Maybe not unlimited but I thought it would be cool. The best part was that it could create anything of any complexity and size.

top topics

join