It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you have against people who don't believe in religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'm curious as to what you think and if you do have anything against people who are not religious why don't you support their beliefs in life. As an Atheist I have seen some crazy people who hate us for not believing in a Godly figure. Do you support people who are not religious or do you find it wrong? Why?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Because Atheist complain more then Muslims. I find It funny how Atheist wear that title just as proudly as Christians or Muslims do yet their not a religion.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I guess I've become somewhat jaded against Atheists. too many you-tube videos of annoying 15yo whining about how much Jesus sucks.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthWizard

Yes I do complain! But hey everyone does! Christians do as well. So from you're POV Christians are the only ones who can complain or they don't complain at all?
Linky
Maybe this is how you and I feel.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
No Christians Complain all the time, I just find It annoying that most of these "atheist" think they you just have to hate Christianity to be an Atheist, you don't ever hear Atheist complain about any other religion then Christianity. I was raised a devout Christian and as a young adult chose to move away from it but I'm not about to go make youtube videos to complain about how much it sucked.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthWizard

Well Atheism is not a Church or a sect. Yes there are Atheist who complain a lot. Most are Anti-Christian. Me I'm Anti-Theist. Of course I do complain or debate with people of religious nature.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWizard
I guess I've become somewhat jaded against Atheists. too many you-tube videos of annoying 15yo whining about how much Jesus sucks.

They are not athiest then.

A athiest weighing in on a religious figure would be akin to weighing in on how they feel about unicorns or leprecauns.

Now, a athiest can weight in on how they feel about christians themself, or muslims, etc..

A good example..a athiest looking at a little kid happy that Santa Claus is going to be coming tomorrow
The athiest person will have an opinion on the kid..."oh, isn't she a cute one, look at her all happy and full of belief"...but they won't have any opinion about Santa himself because he simply doesn't exist...it is a fairy tale, so whats the point in pondering it.

If anything, those 15 year olds you are discussing sound more like jaded christians...give em 10 years and they will be right back to church once they suffer a loss or something...blaming satan for them being "athiest".

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
First off Atheism does not imply "Anti" religion. It implies being without a god or gods. It is an understanding that there is no god (or gods).

The result is often that Atheists feel that religion poses a threat to them or to humanity and some of us choose to be vocal about that threat.

I feel that ALL of the "big three" are a serious threat to our future as a species.

You hear Christianity and Islam discussed most often because they are the most warlike and uncompromising.

There are wonderful people out there that have a deep belief in a god and live their lives according to the peaceful teachings of their religion, but there are also large numbers of people that denigrate those that take a different view of our existence, threaten, intimidate and degrade.

It is up to the peace loving and compassionate believers to put down the threat posed by extremist views within their religion, failure to make that effort is tantamount to approval, and invites the sort of behavior that we have all been subjected to in not to distant times.

Religion segregates us and alienates us from each other and what happens?

We all start shooting!!!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
What do you have against people who don't believe in religion?

If they are not being honest with themselves, how can I assume they are being honest with me?

I'm curious as to what you think and if you do have anything against people who are not religious why don't you support their beliefs in life.

"Religion" is a metaphorical label. It is not that I do not support their beliefs, they just choose to view my beliefs from a godless perspective, thus are not receptive to making associations with what "religious" individuals actually support.

As an Atheist I have seen some crazy people who hate us for not believing in a Godly figure.

Exaclty. As an Athiest you see crazy people who hate. Crazy and hate are acceptable terms for labelling others, from an atheistic perspective. Not really paying attention that the author of the first commandment "No God but me" must have been and atheist from their perspective to claim there was no higher being or supremer deity other than their self, fitting one definition of the label "atheist".

Do you support people who are not religious or do you find it wrong? Why?

What "religious" means to an atheist (crazy and hatefull people) and what "religious" means to others, may differ.

Do I support atheists?

I pay taxes, don't I? G.O.D. = Government Of Dollars. How can God be all things if God can't even be all things God?

pleasantries,
ET
edit on 12-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
If they are not being honest with themselves, how can I assume they are being honest with me?

I'm confused. Why do you think atheists aren't being honest with themselves?

I'm an atheist who supports people's right to practice their religion. I support it as much as I support MY right to not practice a religion. It's a First Amendment issue for me, that's all.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

The words utilized to express thoughts and ideas, and communicate are embedded with neuro-linguistical programming techniques, which incorporate spiritual aspects of reality, and religious ideologies. When we apply the verses of religious texts to the verses of the religious texts (which is done naturally at the intracellular levels of communication) the words of the holy books take on new meanings. To a certain degree we simians are bound by perceived intracellular biological obligations, and at certain levels of consciousness we are not fully aware of our own priorities, dependent upon many variables to include one's own intentionalities.

Literacy is more than just left to right, but ego spends much time efforting to contemplate reality from a linear perspective.

When language and literacy, being able to read and write, was held as a monopoly by nobles and religious scholars for generations organized social engineering institutions influenced and controlled many aspects of the evolution of etymology.

It is already proven fact that the biblical stories which inspired the art were written in codes with the Atbash cipher being one such acknowledge and recognized example that was used in the rightings of the book of Jeremiah, and is acknowledged by modern scholars.

Apply the verses of the stories to the verses of the stories. Apply the words of the words to the words in the books. The bible, the torah, holy books, were written to be understood in multiple ways, out of perceived necessity, if one can choose to apply one's own self towards the seemingly covert and ambiguous, symbolic, and metaphorical nature of the styles in which information is mediated, locked away, hidden, and may be decoded, deciphered. Language and literacy, no matter what your teachers anchored you to believe, is more than just left to right. They were nude in the garden of edun. or eden if you prefer. Sometimes the vowels can appear as wolves, deceivers amongst the ovis aries, yet of the same ingredients. Vowels and wolVes are two words made of the same stuff.

Atheism to me is not a lack of religion, atheism is a religion.

In short, Atheist have chosen to accept no God exists (depending upon what definition of "atheist" one is depending upon), and have decided prior to knowing everything to make a conscious decision that no God exists. period.

From an atheistic point of view hundreds of millions ... billions... of people whom they share more than 99% of the same dna with were simply superstiscious, confused, not fully understanding, easily influenced, liars, etc....

Language is interpreted different ways throughout different parts of the mind, body, and spirit, and consciousness. I don't subscribe to the belief that atheists are prepared to believe any supreme being(s) encrypted and encoded language in more ways than just left to right, or whatever language they speak, write, and read.

Either by intelligent design, or by neuro-linguistical programming, or a mixture of both has been used to socially engineer humanity, perhaps even at the genetic level, subconsciously influencing and controlling peoples' thought processes and their development. This begins at an early age in our life, and we are subjugated by it, with the anchors to our mind and language beginning with the labels of our basic needs for survival at the youngest age.....

Benevolent Heretic,
What do new borns and infants first put in their mouths for food?

edit on 12-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: To add something

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I'm an atheist who supports people's right to practice their religion. I support it as much as I support MY right to not practice a religion. It's a First Amendment issue for me, that's all.

Benevolent Heretic, are you religious?

Benevolent Heretic, do you have a sensitive regard for fairness and/or justice?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Wow. I didn't understand that answer at all, but OK.
I will answer your questions.

Benevolent Heretic,

A breast? A bottle? A thumb? Not sure where you're going here.

No.

Yes.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I take objection to that! I think very lowly of the savage unicorn and the deceitful leprechaun!

In all seriousness, the only time I complain about Jesus is as a literary figure. The same way I complain about one Edward Cullen.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
A athiest weighing in on a religious figure would be akin to weighing in on how they feel about unicorns or leprecauns.

Some people (atheists) think that Jesus was an actual historical figure (a regular human being) that had a religion built around him. Now, having an atheist give their personal opinion of God would be more like weighing in on unicorns.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
i dont hate atiests i just wish they would open there eyes but i would not even try to make them do that

because i think its up to them

amnd i think its tit for tat you will find religeous people hell bent on slaging of anyone that does not fit into there

small and closedmided view of there religion witch i think as a christian is totaly wrong

and then you get some athiests that just put every one who believes in god into the same big pot and blame them for everything that has gone wrong in the world and every death commited in the god just because men say it was

done for god doesnt meen it was god seems to be a great scapgoat for idiots and madmen who like killing and then blaming it on god

and then you have got the old cherry if you are an athiest why does it bother you so much in what people believe

edit on 12-10-2010 by digby888 because: sory about the spelling

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I believe I lean more torwards agnostic than anything. Well if you use this definition,

somebody who believes that it is impossible to know whether or not God exists.

However, I do have a problem with most atheist I have known. It isn't because of their beliefs, or lack there of. I find it just beyond annoying that they treat most non atheist as idiots. For the most part any statement of belief in a divinity raises their hackles like a pack of wolves.

I personally think everybody should respect each other's beliefs. However, atheist seem to be fanatical in crushing other people's belief system or expression of belief. In high school there was a group of atheist that wanted the Fellowship of Christian Athletes banned. (In our school FCA was completely funded by the kids and their parents. One coach was their "sponsor" so that they could meet in a class room.) They also wanted the principal to forcably remove kids that met for morning prayer from the school property. Things didn't change after high school.

I was working on a recording project. I was doing the audio for a video where different mechanical engineers and physicist were interviewed. In between takes I heard a group of them questoning if their supervisor was fit to lead. They were afraid that because he was a christian his "superstitious" beliefs might hold back their project. Several members of the group discussed lobbying for his dismissal. I don't know what ever came of their discussion. I do remember feeling more than a little sick that they were discussing ruining a man with 20+ years of experience.

I will debate the existence of god with people for fun. I don't try to force my beliefs on others, and I expect the same from others. I also refuse to look down on some one because they do or don't believe in a divine being. I think other people should show the same respect to eachother.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Wow. I didn't understand that answer at all, but OK.
I will answer your questions.

I like you, you know this, I hope. Thank you for your honesty.

Benevolent Heretic,

A breast? A bottle? A thumb? Not sure where you're going here.

A nipple is the first thing an infant puts in their lips lip for food. (one lip, because it is round)

in lip
reverse sequence of letters in each syllable...
ni pil = (phonetically) nipple (obviously one p was not enough, we needed two p's in the word)

This is only one such example, and although not taught at any level throughout formal schooling, it is reinforced subliminally through a seemingly endless amount of examples infused into the english speaking world, as well as other languages globally.

No.

Yes.

Admittingly ... I sorta bated you here, sorry, but I did it simply to intice dialogue

Thank you for answering my inquiries. You believe you are not religious, yet you do admit to having a sensitive regard for fairness or justice

Sensitive regard for fairness or justice = Conscience
Conscience = Conscientious
Conscientious = Religious

Therefore, sensitive regard for fairness and/or justice = Religious

Supportive evidence:

Definition of CONSCIENCE
1a : the sense or consciousness of the moral goodness or blameworthiness of one's own conduct, intentions, or character together with a feeling of obligation to do right or be good b : a faculty, power, or principle enjoining good acts c : the part of the superego in psychoanalysis that transmits commands and admonitions to the ego
2archaic : CONSCIOUSNESS
3: conformity to the dictates of conscience : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : sensitive regard for fairness or justice :
Merriam-Webster’s Definition of Conscience

Definition of CONSCIENTIOUS
1: governed by or conforming to the dictates of CONSCIENCE : SCRUPULOUS
2: METICULOUS, CAREFUL
Merriam-Webster’s Definition of Conscsientious

Definition of RELIGION
1a : the state of a religious b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3: archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
Merriam-Webster’s Definition of Religion

Sensitive regard for fairness or justice = Conscience
Conscience = Conscientious
Conscientious = Religious

Therefore, sensitive regard for fairness and/or justice = Religious

This is not my attempt to decieve or manipulate language and the words and what they actually mean.
This is not a theory. I am simply making correlations between what the accepted definitions of what words mean.

Atheist seem to me to be lying to themselves about what the words mean. Their actions and their behaviors, their participation in governments, and their priorities of seeking and promoting a sensitive regard for fairness and justice are actually actions and behaviors that proponents of religious minded people seem to preach, and associations and correlations through 3 degrees of definitions can be made to prove that Atheists are in fact religious, according to Merriam-Webster & the English language.

To entertain ideas otherwise is simply not being faithful to the English language, nor being honest with ones self about the connections, associations, and connotations that an "atheist" has with "religion" and their "religious" practices .... pretending to be somehow seperate or divorced from what the words mean, their definitions, and how "atheists" actions, behaviors, intentions, and priorities actually reflect.

I hope this better explains what I meant by "Atheists" not entirely being honest with themselves.

Pleasantries,
ET

edit on 12-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: fix bb codes, because I didn't get them right the first time

edit on 12-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: add a sentence

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

A nipple is the first thing an infant puts in their lips lip for food. (one lip, because it is round)

I know you like to have fun with words and spelling, but I'm not buying that there's any real meaning behind this.

Thank you for answering my inquiries. You believe you are not religious, yet you do admit to having a sensitive regard for fairness or justice

Again, you can worm your way through definitions and come to your own conclusions. But when you ask me if I'm religious, I took it to have the widely accepted meaning:

relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity

M/W

I did not assume the archaic definition of "scrupulous conformity".
If you had asked me if I do anything religiously in my life, I would have answered Yes. I am religious about taking the dogs out for exercise every day. But your question was "Are you religious?" So, I didn't think you were asking about secular religious practices.

This is not my attempt to decieve or manipulate language and the words and what they actually mean.
This is not a theory.

Sorry, I think it is.

To entertain ideas otherwise is simply not being faithful to the English language, nor being honest with ones self about the connections, associations, and connotations that an "atheist" has with "religion" and their "religious" practices .... pretending to be somehow seperate or divorced from what the words mean, their definitions, and how "atheists" actions, behaviors, intentions, and priorities actually reflect.

I am not faithful to the English language OR Merriam/Webster.

I hope this better explains what I meant by "Atheists" not entirely being honest with themselves.

It does, but I strongly disagree with you.

Esoteric Teacher, are you a criminal?
Have you ever humiliated someone?

humiliate=disgrace
disgrace=disgraceful
disgraceful=criminal

M/W

Definition of DISGRACE
1 archaic : to humiliate by a superior showing
Definition of DISGRACEFUL
: bringing or involving disgrace
Definition of CRIMINAL
4 : disgraceful

You, ET, are a criminal.

Kinda silly, I think.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I know you like to have fun with words and spelling, but I'm not buying that there's any real meaning behind this.

This is your right. You should have the right to not buy into that words are encryped and encoded, but it is my belief that your tax dollars do pay for this, and that it is a phenomenon that does exist. I know for a fact (first hand knowledge) that cryptography is a tax funded (you are buying it) training for government employees at an intelligence training school at Goodfellow AFB. These psyops tactics have been called by many names over the years, and are still utilized in tactical operations aimed at influencing and controlling the opinions of people. This is not something I am making up, but again you are entitled to believe this does not exist, and it is not something you are buying. But, if there isn't any meaning behind this, then why are governments spending so much money on it? (rhetorical question, since according to your belief system it does not exist).

Again, you can worm your way through definitions and come to your own conclusions. But when you ask me if I'm religious, I took it to have the widely accepted meaning:

relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity

M/W

Ultimate Reality OR deity.

I am religious about taking the dogs out for exercise every day.

I need to take my Fido for more walks. He likes them, but the neighborhood strays usually like to come around while we are walking, and they act mean

This is not a theory.

Sorry, I think it is.

I was born in 1971. Language was being manipulated long before I was born. And patterns that exist have been being exploited by those who know against those who do not, extrememely effectively, in my professional opinion.

I am not faithful to the English language OR Merriam/Webster.

You agreed to the Terms & Conditions of Abovetopsecret.com, and you did agree to English being the dominant language on this website, and you did agree to use English and only English here on this website.

It does, but I strongly disagree with you.

I know. Do you know why you strongly disagree with me? I believe it is reinforced through linguistical firewalls embedded in society, and reinforced through all aspects and mediums of verbal communication. However, I know you disagree with me, and you are more than entitled to disagree with me.

Esoteric Teacher, are you a criminal?

Depends upon who has authority, and who you want to believe. Do I think I am a criminal? Yes, because it is nearly impossible to share what I learned from my security clearances I have held for more than a decade, no matter how bad people think they want to know, they are not receptive to certain truisms made available to me through my own experiences and training, and what my brother taught me from his employment in the government while spending 14 years in the service, seven years at the pentagon.

Have you ever humiliated someone?

It's not as easy as that. An expectation of either "Yes" or "No" is implied, and it is not that easy. Purpose and intention to extend outside linear options may be a variable.

No. However methods of empowerment may overtly seem to be me having intentions to reduce to a lower position in my own eyes, or others' eyes, my intention is to help growth and empowerment through methods associated with the label of humiliation, although at times it is a tactic I will use.

You, ET, are a criminal.

Shhh! Don't tell too many people!

Kinda silly, I think.

Thank you, I enjoy being silly. Certain truisms may require a good sense of humor, too, in my opinion.

I know you do not agree with some of my views, but it does not mean tax dollars are not spent on the ideas I am trying to share and hint around.

I know and accept you do not entertain some of the same beliefs I may subscribe to, and it doesn't really offend me. I believe you have the right to disagree with some of my views, or views I am prepared to entertain or give thought to, but this does not mean you have to do the same. I just wish we could live in a more open society where people had the right to make more informed decisions, instead of a society where the government keeps information from those who pay for the gathering and research of such information.

If a god exists, or if collective unconsciousnesses, collective subconsciousnesses, exist, then perhaps this would be reflected in the words created to express communication in more ways than people/life is made aware of.

Some people believe there are "tells" in body language, and some do not.

Some people believe that truisms about character can be interpretted by handwriting analysis, and some do not.

Benevolent Heretic, we can disagree about codes and encryptions existing in words, and what possible relationships they may or may not have in the realms of organized religions.

Doesn't mean I do not like you, or respect you, or have a reverence and willingness to preserve your right to believe what you believe you believe.

Hope this makes more sense to you than my previous posts,
ET

edit on 12-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: fix typo & fix bb code

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join