It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abolish the current system of Welfare!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
There has been a lot of talk, lately, both on MSM and ATS, about Welfare, and it's got my blood boiled all over again.

On one side of the aisle - you have people who think they have the best intentions of others at heart by saying "give them more money, they're poor"

on the other side, you have people (not going to lie, im one of them) who think hand outs shouldn't come for free, and they should only go to people who truly need them, and not to people too damned lazy to wipe their own arse. But i let my anger digress, and ill try to explain.

in 2010, our Government will spend almost 1/2 a trillion dollars (482 billion to be exact) on Federal Assistance programs (ie: Welfare) source

That is 14 percent of our budget.

Now, when this topic is brought up - people usually fall back on the "Well what about the defense budget!!!???" which makes me chuckle because in no statement will you ever see me advocating my government spending $115 for a hammer and $10.00 per nail so that his rich brother-in-law contractor will split the profits...so don't change the subject.

This is about OVER SPENDING on WELFARE - a program whose MAJORITY base are there to leech it, exploit it, and take advantage of people with hard jobs doing the back breaking work to carry this country forward! And im not being overly dramatic, im being as truthful as I can be. Middle Class America is being forced, at gun point, to support a overwhelmingly corrupt group of individuals who are simply too lazy to pee standing up, all so politicians can have something to talk about at election time.

Here's another thing - why the hell is it considered "elitist" to ask for equal responsibility from our fellow "Americans"???

WHY???

Im not saying "don't help out the poor" - im saying close the god forsaken loop holes so that welfare leeches have nothing to suckle.

Im saying stop giving my money to some fat assed lazy house wife who wasn't smart enough to turn off the baby factory at 3 and thinks there's nothing more to life than pumping out a new UNIT every 9 months

P-poom, p-poom, p-poom, p-poom, p-poom...will seven be enough Bob?...p-poom, p-poom.
-G.C.

I'm saying that im pissed off that my government is forcing me to pay for other people to live a more comfortable life than me and my family...and we WORK. 40+ hours a week, every week.

Sure, some times we complain about our jobs, other times we choose to spend more on that new york strip than that chuck roast, simply because we CAN, which is selfish and glutenous when compared to other parts of the world who are begging for meger bags of rice and any other hand outs that Americans sometimes allow themselves to be arsed to donate.

But at least we FUND our own greed. At least we're working to earn what we have...and we're not out on the national stage bitching about what we don't have!

So yes, things could be worse, things can ALWAYS be worse, and if everyone were to take that attitude, then nothing would ever get done around here, because hey - whats the worst that could happen? They can always get worse!

Something needs fixed. Something needs done. It's been ignored for far too long while greedy politicians dangle free crap in front of lazy people in hopes of gaining a few extra votes....meanwhile the rest of us, the people who REALLY matter in this country, the Middle Class, we're stuck in our usual positions.

Bent over the nearest podium, getting finger cuffed with no mercy - while being told that we're doing our country a great service and we should be proud.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Slamming the christian, good samaritan ethic are we?

the old news is that the LBJ Great Society... was the initial point of creating a multi-generational
class of welfare persons...some legit---but most of them Not!

its also well known that the democrats subtrefuge ploy was to buy the black & poor vote
with welfare...give-it-all-away programs to try to remain in power for the next 100 years

oh well

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

so it would make sense to have people put in hours at work to earn the benefit, only the amount of hours that would cover your benefit. the rest of the time is spent looking for work. you could set up training schemes where people who work for benefit will get qualifications with a certificate that they can take to a interview to increase their chances of finding work.

business that are struggling can hire people who are looking for non dependant benefit work, and pay the government what that person would pay in tax for the hours they work. so the person who needs government help is put on a scheme where they put in some hours and pay back some tax through their labour.

business that are struggling in these times get workers to cover some hours, and only pay out what that person would of earned in tax.

there would need to be a evaluation of businesses needs before they are aloud to offer positions for training.

but there are no simple solutions, as there are always problems, how long would it be before employers laid people of to get these new cheap workers?

the reason i mention all this is because if somebody can come up with something that works for everyone then all is good, but when talking about these things it seems there are really only two things that will ever happen. pay benefits so people can survive if they are out of work, or stop all benefits and watch people starve and crime rates will increase 10 fold, as people get desprate.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

IMO I think it should be totally done away with and by saving those trillions of dollars per year we could up the minimum wage to something that would actually support us working people. BTW not all working people are middle class, I am in poverty and both I and my husband worked, even then we were in poverty, and worse yet couldn't get the help we needed. He's a contractor and I am a cashier, well I was at that time also I was a direct care worker in the medical field part of that time. And still we were in poverty with NO HELP!!! So I say can it and up the minimum wage to a healthy wage: a livable wage! And teach the idiots sitting on their A$$3$ how to say "you want fries with that?" Beleive me I am sure there will still be those who would still want to sit on their A$$ but guess what? They'd learn pretty quickly that they better get out and contribute or they will die of starvation. There's no other better motivation than the threat of perishing! That's my philosophy!!!

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

well if people read anything i have ever written about welfare its this.............

i am hard on welfare for good reason...........................................even i dont want it abolished completely.

there are people who are out there who truly need it.....................but

its too damn easy to just sit on their butts and have someone pay for everything.........

welfare is poverty thats a fact a typical welfare recipients life their future is not better than any of their yesterdays

simple fact people who push welfare dont live on and never have lived on it..............

simple fact the solution they come up with as you said is just throw more money at them....

simple fact they steal from someone else to give to someone "less fortunate"......all the while creating more "victims" to put on welfare........

and im here to say is not the governments responsibility to keep the people where they are hell give them a check and dont address the causation of the problems...............

give them an alternative to that check i say and its not really the government then again in that respect......

people wake the hell up for once and realize the government is not the answer for all you ills and fortunes.....

you are!!!!

sometimes the best way to help people is to do nothing for them at all.............
edit on 10-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Make it harder to get these benefits? Are you kidding me? My mother applied for SSI, twice. She has been diagnosed bipolar and with fibromyalgia, after a year of waiting (the second time applied) she was denied. Why? The evaluation physicians didn't believe her. Someone with real conditions, unable to work, denied. Is this fair? No, hell no it isn't and if you think it is then you are ignorant. It is in NO way my mother's fault that she has the horrible condition of being bipolar and of having fibromyalgia and you call her a leech? If I'm wrong, explain yourself further.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by QuetzalcoatlAlien

people who have disabilities have to fight in order to get them...................most people will have to

this is why disability attorneys exist......................

altho if your mother was a minority? is she? she probably already would have gotten them.......

to answer you question as to why that happened to her................there are too many people on it.........

and believe it or not it is rationed..............................its lousy its crappy and its bs.............................if you havent gotten an attorney get one and one thing you need to know about them is when they win then you pay if they lose they get nothing.......... best of luck hope that helps.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

people who have disabilities have to fight in order to get them...................most people will have to

this is why disability attorneys exist......................

altho if your mother was a minority? is she? she probably already would have gotten them.......

to answer you question as to why that happened to her................there are too many people on it.........

and believe it or not it is rationed..............................its lousy its crappy and its bs.............................if you havent gotten an attorney get one and one thing you need to know about them is when they win then you pay if they lose they get nothing.......... best of luck hope that helps.

She is going to appeal it and get a disability attorney and hopefully things work in our favor and to answer your question, yes she is a minority. Thank you, It just pisses me off when everyone thinks people trying to get SS benefits are "leeches"

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

you have every right to be upset and you have good reason to there are some people who just fill out the paperwork and bam they get the check cut.........................best of luck to you and your mother!!!!

not everyone is not a leech there are people out there who truly need it and those people are making it that much more difficult for those others who are in dire need........

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuetzalcoatlAlien
Make it harder to get these benefits? Are you kidding me? My mother applied for SSI, twice. She has been diagnosed bipolar and with fibromyalgia, after a year of waiting (the second time applied) she was denied. Why? The evaluation physicians didn't believe her. Someone with real conditions, unable to work, denied. Is this fair? No, hell no it isn't and if you think it is then you are ignorant. It is in NO way my mother's fault that she has the horrible condition of being bipolar and of having fibromyalgia and you call her a leech? If I'm wrong, explain yourself further.

SSI isn't welfare. This thread is about welfare, it's about people allw hom are physically able to work making money off our tax money simply by sitting on their ARSES. SSI would be a hell of a lot easier to structure if welfare was abandoned, oh and three things that I don't consider disabilities and should never be able to recieve for is :Alcoholism, drug addiction, and adhd, because people can work with these so called illnesses! Or they could get treatment and stop doing the alcoholism/drug addiction and most add/adhd people can fuction quite normally with meds. So they need an overhaul as well, so really disabled individuals would get it and the ones who don't need it and shouldn't get it would not be!

Also my hubby has a seizure problem and he does work. So there are people who don't even attempt to try for SSI they'd rather work, even with serious issues. Not saying anything about your situation, but just saying there are thousands who could get it who don't even attempt to, so why the hard time?
edit on 11-10-2010 by ldyserenity because: to add stuff

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Originally posted by QuetzalcoatlAlien

SSI isn't welfare. This thread is about welfare, it's about people allw hom are physically able to work making money off our tax money simply by sitting on their ARSES. SSI would be a hell of a lot easier to structure if welfare was abandoned, oh and three things that I don't consider disabilities and should never be able to recieve for is :Alcoholism, drug addiction, and adhd, because people can work with these so called illnesses! Or they could get treatment and stop doing the alcoholism/drug addiction and most add/adhd people can fuction quite normally with meds. So they need an overhaul as well, so really disabled individuals would get it and the ones who don't need it and shouldn't get it would not be!

Also my hubby has a seizure problem and he does work. So there are people who don't even attempt to try for SSI they'd rather work, even with serious issues. Not saying anything about your situation, but just saying there are thousands who could get it who don't even attempt to, so why the hard time?
edit on 11-10-2010 by ldyserenity because: to add stuff

My apologies, I was under the impression that SSI is welfare. My mistake.

I also commend your husband for working with his condition. My mother has tried working and cannot deal with it, due to her anxiety. She can't even drive. She can hardly do housework and she received a form stating she is good enough to do CNA work. It's just all frustrating.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
double post
edit on 11-10-2010 by Snarf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

on the contrary, i think people with disabilities (true disabilities, not counting things like "being fat") deserve it flat out.

I think the fact that some lazy fat house wife with 7 children can get welfare, and your mother cannot, is a disgusting example of how bad this country has become.

You have every right to be pissed off, and i think you should voice your opinions more often on this subject, let YOUR experiences with your mom be known!

She is an example of someone who needs it....and the fact that she can't get it is all the proof one may need to realize that there are TOO MANY people on it already who simply don't deserve it.

It needs abolished and an entirely new system put in its place.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Slamming the christian, good samaritan ethic are we?

Not at all. There's nothing wrong with being a Good Samaritan, but that is not what this is. Being a good samaritan means you sacrifice on your own behalf to make someone elses life that much better.

This is highway robbery where our government is taking OUR money and giving it to people who are too lazy to pick their own nose. (for the most part)

This isn't being a good samaritan, it's being a financial rape victim.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Hi,

....meanwhile the rest of us, the people who REALLY matter in this country, the Middle Class,

I don't live in your country, but I would think it is the vast majority of people.. the Working Class.. who are the most important in your or any other country. I only say that because it is this group of people who do all the Menial work, slaving on the Factory Floor and in service industries, etc, and who pay the greatest amount in Taxes due to being the majority of the working population.

The middle class are semi-elitist and hoping to be more upwardly mobile in order to be reach the higher levels of middle class. But, the middle class is doomed to destruction. Those at the top level of middle class may be able to gravitate higher, but all those underneath are going to feel the pain that is coming your way. After which there will be no Middle Class.

I certainly agree that there is a large percentage of people who could work but choose not to. And I do see that job opportunities are dwindling fast so that those seeking employment are finding less and less available.. as it is in my country despite the government's "official figures".. the manipulated ones.

It always seems to me that those with the most to lose are the ones doing the most complaining. Maybe they should spend a month living at the bottom of the heap in order to gain a clearer understanding of what it is like so that they can stop complaining about the drain on their middle class incomes?

I say don't worry about what other people are doing man, just focus on what you are doing, how you are improving as a human being and let others work out their own stuff. If you force benefits being cut, then you weill cause a huge slide into the abyss for many, Genuine People.

But it is typical of the Middle Class to think themselves the most important. May I also say that the media portrayal of everyone working in an office and living in a sprawling suburban 2-story home with two car garage and inground pool is not what the vast majority of the population has as their reality. Most are barely able to make House Loan repayments or cover the always rising rents and costs of living.

So, instead of Judging them as Less Valuable Than Yourself, perhaps you need to walk a mile in their shoes?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

So, instead of Judging them as Less Valuable Than Yourself, perhaps you need to walk a mile in their shoes?

Perhaps they should work a day in mine? Im only advocating abolishment for the tens of millions of people who use it because they are too lazy to work harder to earn the things they have.

im not saying get rid of it for everyone.

Walk in a mile in their shoes? Why? I bought the damned things.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

Perhaps they should work a day in mine? Im only advocating abolishment for the tens of millions of people who use it because they are too lazy to work harder to earn the things they have.

im not saying get rid of it for everyone.

Walk in a mile in their shoes? Why? I bought the damned things.

Yes I know you were focusing on those who are lazy as a lifestyle, so we're on the same page there.

at bought the shoes.. that gave me a good laugh this morning , thanks mate.

new topics

top topics

join