It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Note?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'm watching David Gilmour's Remember That Night dvd tonight, and with a single note, the crowd (and me!) gets a bit excited, as the single tone denotes the arrival of "Echoes" (which, I have to admit, is my favourite song of all time, and has been for many years.)

But it got me to thinking, are there other songs that are heralded with one significant note that allows fans to know what is coming? "Echoes" has both a distinct note, and a distinct cadence that allows it to be mistaken for nothing else.

If you know the tune, you know the note. If you don't, here's a video (from "Live at Pompeii", another DVD I'd highly recommend, for the visuals during "Saucerful of Secrets", if nothing else.)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

are there other songs that are heralded with one significant note that allows fans to know what is coming?

Me thinks of this one:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Not bad. "Hells Bells" would probably be another example!

edit on 8-10-2010 by adjensen because: Might as well include the video, eh?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Yea Hells Bells is more "one" note, immediately recognized and FTATR is more of a riff, although most could recognize even the first note alone I would bet.
Single note, hmmm...
This one comes to mind as a deeply entrenched classic recognized by the first howling note:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
This goes far beyond music, you brain recognized one note and it thinks it knows what is to come, this is programming.

.......by the way which one is Pink ?

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Nice one!

For chords, this is a pretty evident one as well, though I can't remember if they'd stopped touring by the time this came out:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepred
This goes far beyond music, you brain recognized one note and it thinks it knows what is to come, this is programming.

Excellent point. I salivate like Pavolv's dog when that "ping" comes on, brain's been programmed to react to it. I wonder if I'd snap if you played the ping and then segued into something mundane?

David Gilmour is on the new Orb album. I heard a bit it earlier today, and I like it.

by the way which one is Pink ?

Waters is touring America, as we speak. For today, at least, he is Pink.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Yes yes Hard Day's Night, excellent! A single chord opens up even more instantly recognizable songs for sure.
This one is a good one too for single note, although it is a 2 note sequence, the first chime would reveal the piece.

ETA: Get the one called pink a cigar....he's gonna go far

Man I saw Floyd Division Bell in Vancouver Canada and to this day it was the most incredible spectacle I have ever witnessed, with every sense maxed out with candied sonic vibrations and pleasantly tumultuous visuals.

Peace
edit on 9-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: add

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Boy, I sure like that song, thanks for bringing me back to it.

A bit dodgy, this, because the cow bell is pretty much of a "one note wonder", but I'd guess that few couldn't guess it from the cadence alone:

edit on 9-10-2010 by adjensen because: that's != thanks!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Man I saw Floyd Division Bell in Vancouver Canada and to this day it was the most incredible spectacle I have ever witnessed, with every sense maxed out with candied sonic vibrations and pleasantly tumultuous visuals.

I debated, strongly, going up to see the Division Bell tour in Winterpeg, but decided against it, figuring that there would always be another tour, and it's such a pain to cross the border. Argh.

It's sad, watching this DVD of Gilmour's that has Richard Wright on it. He was really underrated, I think. I remember reading an interview with him, where he talked about how he just kind of fell out of the Floyd -- he had few ideas to bring to the Animals sessions and nothing when Roger showed up with The Wall, and you really got the sense of a guy whose kids had outgrown him and effectively told him to bugger off.

RIP, Rick. I got a lot out of your music.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by deepred

Excellent point. I salivate like Pavolv's dog when that "ping" comes on, brain's been programmed to react to it. I wonder if I'd snap if you played the ping and then segued into something mundane?

David Gilmour is on the new Orb album. I heard a bit it earlier today, and I like it.

by the way which one is Pink ?

Waters is touring America, as we speak. For today, at least, he is Pink.

This thread would play well in many different areas including "how the brain works"

I think my brain likes to know what is coming next. the notes and cadence, predictable flow, somehow comforting.the knowing of what comes next.

As far as Floyd goes, even with all their fame, they are grossly under appreciated.

Now becoming comfortably numb.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Cool thread.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This one is technically two notes, and you're likely to have never heard it, but it was a hugely popular song for fans of the band, and many pop fans in the UK, and I'm posting it because Marillion is one of those bands that would occasionally "try out" in concert songs that they were still writing. The Floyd used to do it, as well, "Echoes" started as "The Return of the Son of Nothing" and there are substantially different versions of songs from Animals that one can find on ROIOs from the Wish You Were Here tour.

Anyway, following the release of Misplaced Childhood and this song, "Kayleigh", the opening note(s) generated immediate and loud applause, but I have an ROIO from the tryouts and it is so very strange to hear those notes played with absolutely no reaction.

(Another bit of trivia -- if you know someone named Kayleigh, this song is the source of their name. Just as Wendy was an invented name for Peter Pan, Fish made up the name to semi-disguise the real girl's name, Kay Lee.)

Marillion -- "Kayleigh"

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
One note's tough, here's another two noter.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Beeswaxes, excellent addition!

A couple more came to mind last night.
This one is recognized by an opening vocal note.
Righteous Brothers

Bob Segar - The saxophone gives this one away immediately.

spec
edit on 9-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Great thread

The funky part of "Echoes" is awesome

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by flymetothemoon

Dude, I have not watched this vid in over 20 years and this little "funk" segment has left me in awe!!! What a slice of history happening there! Thanks for posting, and I am off to jam with some friends now. WOW! LOVEIT!!!

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Excellent additions, all!

Nice clip of that funky bit of "Echoes", too. I think I'm going to hunt up the DVD of Live at Pompeii tonight, in fact!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Black Sabbath - Iron Man

-TheAssoc.
edit on 9-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: For got the title.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Gary Numan - Cars

-TheAssoc.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join