It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan to get Russian Kilo Class Subs?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Kilos to Taiwan
A delegation of Taiwanese legislators met with Pentagon officials this week, including Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz. A key topic discussed was a novel way to build submarines for the Taiwanese, we are told.
Under a plan percolating in the Pentagon, Russia would sell the United States eight very quiet Kilo-class submarines outfitted with Russian weapons but equipped with U.S. electronics and propulsion systems, defense officials said.
One official said Russian President Vladimir Putin quietly has signed off on the deal as long as the submarines are sold to the United States. "If the Americans resell them [to Taiwan], it's none of Russia's business," the official quoted Mr. Putin as telling U.S. officials.
[/qoute]

Russian subs to Taiwan

Superquiet Kilos with a US sensor suite would be a deadly counter to China fleet of Kilos with less capable sonar and targeting sensors.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
its a good thing because taiwan needs all of the fire power they can get to beat china.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Very probably it is a rumor spreaded by Taiwanese. China has been the top buyer of Russian Weapons (totaling over $10 billion) for the past 5-year period. The Russian can't afford to provoke the Chinese Dragon for this reason.

Politically it is impossible. The polar Bear needs the Dragon's support in their fight against the separatists, more importantly, the NATO expansion etc.

If the USA could not get a sub from German, Spain, or Holland for Taiwan, you think it can get subs from Russia?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
yes and you know why because we have more $$$$ than china does and the russians will do anything for it

[edit on 26-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
This is total BS....

Because Russia is selling China weapons and it will not sell Tawian any weapons or the USA.

If it sells the USA weapons then they would NEVER even include the Tawian part!

That gives it all up and makes Russia an enemy of China.

Out,
Russian

D

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
its a good thing because taiwan needs all of the fire power they can get to beat china.

You really think China will go to war with Taiwan? I don't think so.

As said many times, China's trade with the US is booming right now and is continuing to rise. And no one wants to blow a good trade relationship with the world's biggest economy.

And anyway, US right now are on a good relationship with China in terms of the issue of North Korea. Being their only ally, China's helping the US to bring them under control.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by D]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
really is that why the CIA released a report last month that stated that china was taking the US more seriously now because in the past they though that the us would not commit troops but after Iraq they got nervous and they were developing strategy's to counter US spec ops and us tactics

E_T

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by D
You really think China will go to war with Taiwan? I don't think so.

Two words: Occupation of Tibet.
And did they conquer Tibet because of natural resources or land?

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Russia will never sell to the US. as it is a contender. Also if you look at Russia under natural wealth it kills the US. Coal resources, Timber , Fresh water supply,uranium, ore materials, oil(caspian sea).

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
if we want all of those natural wealth all we have to do is invade Canada that war will be over in 2 hours and 13min then we have a lot of natural resources

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

if we want all of those natural wealth all we have to do is invade Canada that war will be over in 2 hours and 13min then we have a lot of natural resources

Good point. Plus its not like were in a cold war anymore. Heck it's not like the Russians get along very well with the Chinese the last I checked.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

Good point. Plus its not like were in a cold war anymore. Heck it's not like the Russians get along very well with the Chinese the last I checked.

When was the last time you checked?

1954?

Out,
Russian

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I don't think that the Bear and Dragon necessarily love each other. However, the bully Bush administration bring them together. That single one is enough reason.

It is impossible they don't get along.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
the reason that Russia is on Chinas...is because they despertly need money and since china buys a lot of its stuff the Russians pretend to be friends

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

Originally posted by cyberdude78

When was the last time you checked?

1954?

Out,
Russian

True I haven't checked in a while but I still don't see Russia caring to much at least if the US is the middle man. But seeing as your the expert on Russia I'll let you be the judge of that.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I remember Russians said " they will sell Kilo to everyone with 350 mil. $".

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Why would they buy Kilo's when they are already looking at up to 8 Diesels from Norway or at Ingalls who is gearing up to make some for Egypt
see the article at
www.fas.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
This is total BS....

Because Russia is selling China weapons and it will not sell Tawian any weapons or the USA.

If it sells the USA weapons then they would NEVER even include the Tawian part!

That gives it all up and makes Russia an enemy of China.

Out,
Russian

Get a grip, Russia will sell weapons to who ever has teh hard currency to buy them. It has alot of equipment left over from the cold war and selling it off raises much needed cash, eliminates storage problems etc.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriskaos
Russia will never sell to the US. as it is a contender. Also if you look at Russia under natural wealth it kills the US. Coal resources, Timber , Fresh water supply,uranium, ore materials, oil(caspian sea).

Not! Russia has already sold or allowed to be sold, Mig-29's, Su-27's etc. Its not out of the realm of possibility that they sell a submarine that is based on a 20 year old design to anybody who would want to use it. Russia also has an interest in preserving the status quo vis a vie Taiwan and China. Russia and China have been at odds for some time and the mutual distrust spans generations. If China has a thorn in its side im sure Russia does not loose any sleep over it.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   

the reason that Russia is on Chinas...is because they despertly need money and since china buys a lot of its stuff the Russians pretend to be friends

Countries do not have friends they have mutual interests

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join