It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

72,000 stimulus payments went to dead people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

72,000 stimulus payments went to dead people

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – More than 89,000 stimulus payments of $250 each went to people who were either dead or in prison, a government investigator says in a new report.

But about $18 million went to nearly 72,000 people who were dead, according to the report by the Social Security Administration's inspector general. The report estimates that a little more than half of those payments were returned.

An additional $4.3 million went to more than 17,000 prison inmates, the report said. Most of the inmates...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Another astounding example of incompetence with the taxpayers money. When is Washington going to trim the waste so that we can, as a citizenry, look at a realistic picture of what's going on so that we can assess, correctly, the proper path of future action?

This kind of thing just makes me sick to my stomach. This is where our money is going rather than to help the people truly in need.

Kick people off of unemployment during a depression/recession but make sure the dead and imprisoned are paid.. Sheesh

~Heff

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
s&f!

That sucks, I could use an extra $250.00 right now. I didn't rate though. Not in prison or dead.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'm wondering how they come up with that number. Is that how many were returned? Is that how many they later figured out were dead by looking at their records? I wonder, how many millions we lost because people cashed checks mailed to dead relatives?

Between this and the news that the government can not account for 1.3 trillion dollars of spending is there any wonder we are in debt? I'm wondering if Enron's accounts are now working for the federal government?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Butcherguy,

That was one of my first ironic little thoughts while posting...

The "and the living shall envy the dead" angle. I just didn't think that prophecy involved Federal bail out funds!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
MASSIVE FRAUD. This is happening all over the place right now, and we are going to pay the very heavy price for it. Do people honestly think that after the banking crisis people changed their ways?

They just realised that it was never going to last so everyone is out for one last punt.

link   
This story further confirms that Obama's followers are actually zombies.

link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

But about $18 million went to nearly 72,000 people who were dead, according to the report by the Social Security Administration's inspector general. The report estimates that a little more than half of those payments were returned.

MikeNice81,

It seems that the SSA's inspector general figured it out. Probably when all that money started coming back in. That has to be a rare thing and a HUGE red flag!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Alxandro,

It appears that becoming an Obama undead, at this point in the nations history, may be one of the few paying gigs available!

~Heff

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
If I were inclined to break the will of the people this would be one of the tactics along with a lack of transparency that leads to this.www.usatoday.com... Flagged thanks.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

Thanks for that link! Very interesting stuff indeed...

~Heff

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
um people die everyday

let say a check went out 2 weeks ago and someone died 10 days ago

yeah, not that hard to figure out that a check went to a dead guy

if all those checks were to people who have BEEN dead for more than a year or so, i can see that being a problem

but people die, its what we do and all will do eventually

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Dude, 'legally dead people' are gonna be obama's main coalition of voters in 2012. He's just playing base politics.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

Obviously, but the actual problem is that congress didn't put a provision in the law to recover these payments:

Dead people were ineligible to get the payments. But, the report said, there is no provision in the law to recover payments incorrectly sent to dead people.

"Based on the failure of the SSA to properly check its records, and Congress' failure to fully think through the provisions needed to govern these payments, SSA lost $22.3 million in American tax dollars," said Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla. "These findings are yet another example of congressional stupidity and a lack of accountability."

The fact that about half of those payments were returned can be looked in a few different ways:

Either half of the people were scared to cash the checks for fear of reprisal....

Half the people were honest enough to return the checks of their own accord...

And regarding those who kept the money:

That half of the people were jaded enough not to care...

Or that half of the people were well informed enough to know the loophole in the law.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurderCityDevil
um people die everyday

let say a check went out 2 weeks ago and someone died 10 days ago

yeah, not that hard to figure out that a check went to a dead guy

if all those checks were to people who have BEEN dead for more than a year or so, i can see that being a problem

but people die, its what we do and all will do eventually

that's why they shouldn't use the MAIL !!!

make the "recipients" report directly to a "payoff station", similar to getting a drivers license?

or use existing state DMV's?

but with all the phony "recipients", the mail is the only way to promote the corruption.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

And the inmates? I guess they were between court dates when the checks went out?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

i agree

it can get complicated, the machine (government) is not handled very well or organized and its for those reasons things like this comes up

never gonna be a perfect system

i was only making a statement, its messed up always

ob la di, ob la da

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

yeah this is some bs got another link that says where some stimulus money went

www.openmarket.org...

"The stimulus also contained giveways to wealthy trial lawyers, who are some of the biggest donors to liberal politicians. It expanded welfare and largely repealed welfare reform. It has paid for abandoned bridges to nowhere and unnecessary government buildings in cities with rapidly shrinking populations."

"The administration’s own web site showed tens of thousands of phantom stimulus jobs being created in 440 imaginary congressional districts."

"As noted earlier, the stimulus package actually destroyed thousands of real world jobs by triggering trade wars that killed jobs in America’s export sector.........."

this is the biggest lie that obama has gotten away with.... nothing but a bunch of crooks buying votes.
edit on 8-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I wonder how many of those people that cashed the stimulus checks are also still cashing their dead moms Social Security checks?

new topics

top topics

join