It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ready for take-off: The giant airships which can carry entire buildings hundreds of miles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Ready for take-off: The giant airships which can carry entire buildings hundreds of miles

www.dailymail.co.uk

* nvention could see disaster-relief centres dropped into remote areas

Giant balloons that can carry loads over long distances could one day even transport entire buildings.

Australian firm Skylifter is developing a piloted airship that will carry up to 150 tonnes more than 1,200 miles.

They hope that the vehicles could one day carry rural hospitals and disaster-relief centres to remote areas.

See video of the prototype below
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10/4/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed source link

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Hi readers & posters

this thing looks a lot like a UFO wonder if it was what gave the inventor the idea.

it can lift 150 tons not a small task , but one must wonder if it can handle stormy skies

how many here think the military will be these guys best customers.

Any way the idea is pretty awesome and the thing looks pretty cool.......
your thoughts here are awaited posters.

peace & hope
SM

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10/4/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed source link

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by smokingman2006

how many here think the military will be these guys best customers.

Lockheed has their own airship.
It would be quite interesting to see an airship carrying a building though..

edit on 4-10-2010 by Freezer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Air ships seem like a great way to move resources long distances. I really enjoyed the lockheed video, it seems like a better airship than the building lifter.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
skylifter is waay cooler than lockheeds blimp!

and now you know how the pyramids were built.

and some monoatomic gold. lol
cool post, thanks OP!

edit on 4-10-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It looks like a flying saucer, not a UFO. UFOs are unidentified and this one is very identified.

Sorry, I'm a terminology nazi, and the term UFO does not mean flying saucer/alien spaceship. It's really annoying, and damaging to the UFOlogy field to continue interchanging those terms.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Beautiful design, from an aesthetic standpoint.

However, despite their claims of improved stability under load, as compared to the typical "cigar" shape LAV; I'm concerned that, with this "Flying Disc" design, they'll actually have more problems with payload-induced pitch/roll (hard to define with this design) oscillations.

It seems to me, and I'm no expert, that the payload, hanging from the exact center of the craft, as it appears, would tend to act as a pendullum, whose fulcrum would be located at the conection point to the craft.

Guy wires from the payload to the circumfrence of the vehicle might control this "swing-factor" somewhat, as would carrying the payload higher up, closer to the body of the craft.

edit on 4-10-2010 by Bhadhidar because: Clarification

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bhadhidar

Nevermind,. These things are to move "entire buildings hundreds of miles." Huh? Sure. given no headwind and a balloon the size of New Jersey, excellent weather and a couple of weeks for transit time.

While the efficeincy is greatly improved over the rigid dirgibles of yesteryear, the payload versus lifiting power of the enclosed gas required is never going to be practicable in that regard alone. File all of this type of potential craft in with the ridiculous "space elevator" concet.

Speed of delivery is of the essence today in the transportation of any thing.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Why waste everyones time with silly balloons when we already have something like this:

Sorry for the silly Discovery vid.. It came among the first hits and it does have all the facts hidden between the nonsense

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Its a cool idea an all,but is "carrying buildings" the best use they can come up with?

Who the hell needs buildings carried?

For an earthquake/flood,wouldn't a regular hospital ship/kitted out c130 aircraft do a similar job as a 150 tonne building,and get there much faster than an airship?

Or do I miss the point?

Its still cool though,maybe good for meteorlogical data collection or something,but we have them already..

Definitley good for UFO hoaxing I suppose.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Once again, Disney leads the cutting edge in science. Oddly enough, this time it is in dirigibles.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Someday in the future they create airships 10x larger than this and within them they house entire "cities" that are essentially cruise ships in the sky. Folks pay to "cruise" on them with similar amenities to the sea-going vessels and in return get a really excellent view of landscapes. During the day they cruise at lower-altitudes and then in the evenings they climb higher.

Here is an excellent example from the Fifth Element's Fhloston Paradise Liner.

4.bp.blogspot.com...

Will truly be fascinating.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Now thats a better use for something like this.

As long as they don't dump the toilet waste over land.
Hopefully its turned into gas for fuel instead.

I like it-a proper floating city,especially if it was built by folks who were non oppressive,and not hell bent on taxing the skin off everyone.

Maybe there would even be a smoking deck...

Hmmm I ask too much.

top topics

join