It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NWO and The Forgotten Man?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ignorance_Defier

Racist? Yeah right. the only man in that picture who is blatantly racist is the the "black guy" Mr Obama. Read his book, "Dreams of my father".

this is a great picture, the old presidents look dismayed while the new presidents look quietly confident unaware of the traitorous mess they have made of everything.

edit on 043131p://f46Sunday by L1U2C3I4F5E6R because: wording

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
As I'm not American and have no particular pro or anti Obama leaning I would like to think that I can look at this painting in an objective and unbiased manner.
In addition my knowledge of Art is very limited to say the least as it extends to a liking of Banksy,www.banksy.co.uk... ,an appreciation of Tracey Emin and some basic knowledge of the best known artists.

One thing I do know is that most artists try to let their art do the 'talking',
Having watched the video I think it influenced my opinion of the painting.

On first viewing I felt an empathy for 'The Forgotten Man' and felt the painting expressed how ordinary, everyday 'man' is becoming lost and helpless in the modern world.

Looking at the picture after watching the video I couldn't help but think about the artists political opinions and 'The Forgotten Man' became less the focus of the painting whereas Obama standing on The Constitution took more precedent.

Probably shallow I know but a simplistic and limited interpretation from a simple and limited man.

The other thing I noticed was that Reagan is the only modern President on the side of the older Presidents and showing concern for 'The Forgotten Man'.

Maybe this is a clear indication of where the artists political allegiances lie.

Forgot; how anyone can construe anything racist in this is beyond me.
Obama is the only black President the US has had so he will obviously be the only black person in the picture.
Perhaps the PC brigade would have preferred it if the artist had 'blacked' some of the previous President's up and made them look like Al Jolson or something.

Obama is also the current President so it's fair that he's at the forefront of the painting.

Some people,

edit on 3/10/10 by Freeborn because: forgot something

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Great thread.

It seems the painting invokes an almost eerie sensation, because when you look at it, you are reminded of what the first few presidents fought so hard for and what the last few have disregarded.
I don't know why Reagan is standing with the forefathers.
He was an okay president, but not as ground-breaking as the first 10.
That must be the artists representation of his own personal political affiliation.

To me, it seems the painting represents what is taking place from a citizens aspect.
The more conservative presidents on the left side, moderates in the background and 'lefts' on the right (ex.Bush Jr.).
Although, one could say it like this too:
You have the most influential presidents on the left, the ones that accomplished (or showed apathy in office) nothing in the back and the ones who started the New World Order, began progressivism, huge debts, and did what they were told, on the right.

I love how Clinton, T. Roosevelt and FDR are clapping.
In my opinion, those guys damaged this great country the most.

Then there's Obama.
He's not even paying attention.
That's pretty close to what's happening now.
Just following orders...
Although Bush Jr. is standing on the right looking towards the people he should be siding with...

Outstanding painting!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by SLAYER69

I've seen his work before, but don't know a great deal about his views on race.

People who support anti-intellectualism and religious fundamentalism tend to be bigoted, prejudiced and reactionary. I'll go out on a limb and predict that McNaughton is *probably* racist, but would hate Obama for being allegedly a Democrat anyway. His views are as dated and stale as his canvasses.

Yea its probably what you would call "purple prose" on the canvasse. This thing with Obama is addressing emotion. I mean we could go right down the line on all these guys and find some rank disregard for the constitution. Where is FDR in this thing? He should be the one front and center near the man on the bench. Dont see LBJ. FDR, to far back. in the name of poor joe american white guy mostly, and LBJ for blacks largely, new deal and great society. And why is Teddy Roosevelt over there with Clinton and FDR?

Anyway back to the painting....it is not very intellectual. I mean try this, try draging in the issues into this painting and it starts the brain hurting. It should. This thing is clearly made for someone with thier brain running on cruse control of iq running around 80. For me worse than anything in this picture is the way white amercia is see bumbing on a park bench feeling sorry for itself. We are far stronger than that. This guy is just trying to score on that "poor me" bull crap. As if we are not the people and with no recourse.

This painting should have the guy on the bench standing with an assult rifle in his hands with caption "pick that up boy'....whoever the pres is makes no matter.

Some comedy would be to have the poor white guy down on his knees stuffing money in his pockets saying "hay this guys got cash just droping out of his ass!" And some where Arlo Guthrie playing bango. Maybe the guy on the bench should look like a shabby Humphrey Bogart. Maybe a rolled up copy of the Unabomber Manifesto sticking out of Obamas back pocket, Clinton with a J burning, and FDR really should be in a chair of some sort. And why is Jackson pointing at Lincon, who by the way has been co-opted here, as if he is saying hay they got him but didnt get me!"

edit on 3-10-2010 by Logarock because: sp

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Slayer,I have only read your opening post on this thread.
I don't think the painting is racist.Obama promised us
hope and change.We got the change alright and not in
our best interest.We are still looking for that hope!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I see no racism there. President Barack Obama is standing ahead of his predecessors because he is the current sitting President. He just happens to be black as well. It is a fairly accurate depiction of our President, because he seems to have a staunch and defiant nature about him. In other words, he would like to see himself as the center of attention. A snippet from his Labor Day Speech 2010 is a great example of the vibe I get from the President.

Moreover, it seems he will stop at nothing to leave his mark on American culture. With arms crossed, he seems to have an almost oblivious manner to the crumpled money scattered about, clouds over Washington, and the guy off to his left sitting on the bench in despair. It is all about our President's appearance, agenda, and legacy. That is what takes center stage for him. Take what I say with a grain of salt, because it is only my personal perceptions of the man as I see things. People have other perceptions as well, and we all see things differently.

Moreover, notice the piece of paper beneath his foot is ahead of all Presidents both past and present. The Constitution is the focal point of the painting That to me, means it is more important than any man of power, because all Presidents are behind it and with only the front portion of the Presiden Obama's foot on it. It could also symbolize how enduring the document is as well. President's from the past have tread upon the Constitution like John Adams (Sedition Acts), Abraham Lincoln (Suspension of Habeas Corpus), and FDR (Detention of American citizens during WWII) to name some, but the document has survived and continues to be cherished by Americans.

Another thing to keep in mind is the position of Ronald Reagan and where he is positioned in the painting. He is often considered to be the most right wing President the country has ever seen, but is positioned on the left in the painting. That alone kind of disrupts any political connotations in the painting for me. Moreover, some have said that he seems to show concern for America's "Forgotten Man?" However, I see him as showing a face of sinister intent, under the guise of being concerned with his welcoming hand gesture. So, I don't see anything political with the painting, and it seems bigger than any political ideology or former President. It is showing a nation in dire straits. That is what I think the artist is trying to convey with this painting.

edit on 3-10-2010 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Applause!!!!

Probably shallow I know but a simplistic and limited interpretation from a simple and limited man.

I assumed you were talking about the artist. Lol. Certainly, it doesn't apply to you, my dear Freeborn. This comment pertains to the artist, and his latest propagandized work.

Forgot; how anyone can construe anything racist in this is beyond me.
Obama is the only black President the US has had so he will obviously be the only black person in the picture.
Perhaps the PC brigade would have preferred it if the artist had 'blacked' some of the previous President's up and made them look like Al Jolson or something.

Obama is also the current President so it's fair that he's at the forefront of the painting.

Yes, how silly can they be. It's not racist. The artist can't change the color of the President. I do however, think, if one of them would have their foot on the constitution it should be Mr. Bush.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Very interesting to say the least. One thing that stands out is GWB and JFK seemingly pointing. Is JFK pointing at George or Obama? For that matter who is George pointing at. Hard to interpret (probably on purpose).

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

The French have a saying:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

How did we get to this juncture?

People’s love of gossip, idle chit chat, and drama and spectacle, blood lust, vanity and ego and a propensity to focus on the trivial and near meaningless while attaching great importance to these lesser affairs.

Those who drive the world operate in the vacuum that mediocrity and those who gravitate towards the lowest possible common denominator create.

They learned a long, long time ago, that the mob is fickle. It will devour its own heroes and champions. That people will sell themselves cheaply, all too cheaply and are often easily appeased with a pound of flesh from one of their own.

How did the world get to this sorry state of affairs? Look in the mirror.

That’s the one place they don’t want you to look. For as long as you do not, you shall always be a play thing dancing on the strings as a prisoner in chains for someone else’s agenda you can’t even begin to perceive, let alone understand.

Is it that aversion of the truth that leads some to instead gaze upon pictures, looking for hidden meaning and understanding?

It would certainly seem so.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

OP said:

"Whether you are right or left is of no importance but understand that we as Americans have gotten ourselves into a pickle. I love that old saying. [ It doesn't matter how the Jackass got stuck in the mud, Just get it out! ] "

InfoReal:

I like this statement above the only problem with it is this:

Once we get the jackass out of the mud . . . HE STILL IS A JACKASS,
and that is the problem!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
A very interesting thread. Although just one artists interpretation of todays society it manages to capture the mood of a nation with 'The forgotten man' seemingly broken down into submission helpless to do anything against the almighty power of government. Not being an american and being disgusted by my lack of american history, i would love to see a british twist on this painting. Where would British prime ministers be aligned in such a painting? Would even be interesting to see where they would fit into this particular piece. Your views on this please......

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
For the painting to "appear" racist, one would have to have racist ideas in the first place, I think. Kind of like "thieves lock their doors". But that is only my humble opinion. I DO know that a child usually will not ascribe sexual meaning to an image that an adult might, because children do not think sexually. It isn't in their mindset, so they don't consider it. I suspect many here would never have thought of race, as it isn't in their mindset. But there are some who obviously have that front and center in their mindset, for it to be brought up so quickly.

My perception of the painting? They got it partially right. Obama standing on the Constitution is correct. They need to add every president since WWII, possibly excepting Kennedy. Reagan is among the biggest scoundrels of all time.

The artist is obviously under the misguided notion that Obama gets to make his own decisions, or the Bush('s) and Clinton. He seems to think that what the young man represents is a new phenomena, and that they haven't had their boots on the back of the middle classes neck for quite some time.

It is a visual representation that will inspire half of the problem with our country: the GOP. It may incense the other half of what is wrong: the DNC. Political propaganda that is ridiculously myopic in view.

edit on 3-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I like the painting, but it seems less for the common man and more for the republican party. Reagan has no business being over there next to him and neither does Lincoln (slave owner, and destroyed state sovereignty.) Bush putting a little finger at the guy is a joke, as he should AT LEAST be helping Obama stamp out the constitution. The painting would be a little closer to home if eugenicists, freemasons and bankers were holding the strings connected to all the puppets...er ...presidents.
NICE THREAD

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ufo2012

Ha! Maybe with George Washington's boot on the throat of the queen

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I see a political statement and nothing racist about the portrait.

Then again I've stood up against many bigots in my lifetime and befriended many black people.

I have a low threshold of tolerance for bigots, racists, and idiots.

Skin color is nothing but pigmentation, societal upbringing, and life through happenstance.

Racism : Self-Empowerment or Being an Ignorant Bully, and Suppressing Freedom

A person, black, white, red, has a choice to make in how they live their lives.

Just as the person who befriends them or hates them has a choice to make.

To either see this person or that person as good or evil.

As well to either continue a positive pattern or negative pattern through upbringing and belief systems.

If you're raised to not see color as an issue this can change over a lifetime, I've seen it in others.

If you're raised to see color as an issue this can change over a lifetime, I'v seen it in others.

Part of it is social conditioning through family, school, work, part of it is personal choice, another part of it is if you realize or not you can change your own perception based upon free will, and whether peer pressure affects you or not, and whether this influences you or not through your own ability to comprehend you own individuated impact upon society through each of your own actions, thoughts, and choices.

Now, that is my thought on the painting, but it is however not all I think about it.

The intent of the artist is unclear because I know nothing about the person at all.

Was their intent racist?

Of this I have zero inclination.

Are they politically active?

Of this I have zero inclination.

Were they trying to portray a message through a historical reference to the Founding Fathers to our current President?

Obviously.

But the tone, the intent, and as well the upbringing of the artist all comes into play.

I can understand a painting and or message and agree and or disagree with it despite the intent of the messenger.

I also have the ability to make my own thoughts without a predjudice of someone else despite their intent to influence myself and or others, just as much as I have the ability to go completely against the flow of the lemmings, and or go with the flow with the crowd, so to myself the painting is nothing but a painting, with a political message about the economy being screwed due to our current President but I also remember former President Bush started this crap and began screwing us and Obama is only continuinig Corporate America's agenda towards collapsing our economy, without caring how it will affect our daily lives and the rest of this countries future.

As well I figured out after decades of searching there is no such thing as the New World Order.

New World Order : There Is No Such Thing, Architect's of Lies, They Created A Phantom Menace

It is a ghost created by politicians, world leaders, and men of finance to make you chase your tail.

And as well to waste your time trying to stop it through hunting it down.

Because my friends you are the "New World Order" they have set you against yourselves.

If you believe in this farce, the "New World Order", you are fighting yourself.

If you speak of picking up guns you give Government the power they have no right to.

To take them away.

If you speak of overthrow through violence you give the Government power they have no right to.

To put you in jail like the men of Hutaree and other militias.

If you speak towards a point of conspiracy, sedition, and treason you give the Government power they have no right to.

The power to silence you.

But if you choose to educate yourself, affect policy through positive actions and words, and stop wasting time on ignorance you make headway that no one in the world can stop, no one in the world can influence but you, and no one in the world can affect unless you allow them to do so.

edit on 10/3/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth To The Post.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Ah! Nice.

McNaughton is carrying the burden of many famous artists that came before him.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It's true what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. This picture captures perfectly the state that America is in right now and how I feel the forefathers of our country would react to what's going on today. What a brilliant painting. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
That picture symbolises so many things! A wonderful peice of work. I wont write what everyone else has written because im sure you have all read it by now

But did anyone notice the people in the middle in the background who are kind of faded/sinister looking? It looks as if there observing from the background, above time and are watching as this folds out.
A little scary i think!

what are peoples veiws on this part of the picture?
My opinion is its the people behind the scenes, the "puppetmasters", watching these events unfold, reminds me of the NWO.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Beautifly said SpartanKingLeonidas.

Keep your own power, stop the trivial hate and infighting it gets us nowhere.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I think this is a thought provoking painting. And racist? How can it be racist just because there is one black person in the painting. HEY! it's a painting of all the presidents and since there has only been one black president, There should only be one black person in the painting. I also found it interesting that President bush and president clinton were standing behind president Obama like people would stand behind someone if they were on the same team or in the same organization.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join