It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was God in the Exodus story a Volcano?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm now getting more into this idea that if Moses was a real person then him and the Israelis were guided by a volcano. After reading this article it makes more sense to me it was a volcano was used as a religious ceremony .
Article

High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Wiki entry for Pilliar of Fire

A Pillar of Fire was one of the manifestations of the presence of the God of Israel in the Torah. According to Exodus, the pillar of fire provided light so that Jews could travel by night during the Exodus from Egypt

Now this should be an indication of a volcano eruption at night.

Bibcal Description

According to the Biblical account of the law-giving, Sinai was enveloped in a cloud, it quaked and was filled with smoke, while lightning-flashes shot forth, and the roar of thunder mingled with the blasts of a trumpet;the account later adds that fire was seen burning at the summit of the mountain. Several scholars have indicated that it seems to suggest that Sinai was a volcano, although there is no mention of ash; other scholars have suggested that the description fits a storm, especially as the Song of Deborah seems to allude to rain having occurred at the time.

Since we don't know the location of Sinai we can't be sure of it being the volcano.
Over all I'm still skeptical of the entire Bible and any other religious text out there.
Exdous Part 1
Exodus Part 2

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
It is kind of a fascinating theory, I will give that, but I never the less find their suggestion ridiculous.

This is what happens when people try to interpret old texts without reading what they actually are saying. They read something that they COULD understand with the so called modern eyes, but choose to ignore it and interpret what they read as probably being something symbolic, or as the writer being stoned high, as they reason that the texts just possibly could not be saying what they seem to be saying, such as the Old Testaments descriptions about how people are "taken up to God in a fiery chariot", or God travelling on a "pillar of fire and a column of smoke", or God asking people to seal of a big area on the ground so that he can descend without harming the many unlookers.

If anything, 'God' was an Astronaut, or rather, a company of them.

My 2 Cents.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This is interesting theory non the less.
Still I think Jesus talked to Moses.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
When geologists go into an active volcano like Kilauea in Hawaii they don't come out with glowing faces. Only a supernatural event can make a person's face glow. It's more likely a UFO type event happened on top of Mt. Sinai. There was a deviation of the forces of nature, such as the parting of the red sea. An invisible craft could have parted the waters and produced the pillar of light.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

Well The Bible doesn't say where they cross at.
Exodus part 1

The Bible does not say the Israelites crossed the Red Sea or the Sea of Reeds — there was never a body of water known as Reed Sea or Sea of Reeds. The crossing is said to occur “by the sea by Pihahiroth” (14:9); that would define the Mediterranean Sea.

Think about it! This does not make sense.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

You have got to be kidding?
Are people expected to take
this seriously,A volcano?I'm
55 years old and NOW I have
heard it all...a volcano,sheesh!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

He was Jesus. Trust me I know through my faith and the Bible tells me so. What about you?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

You have got to be kidding?
Are people expected to take
this seriously,A volcano?I'm
55 years old and NOW I have
heard it all...a volcano,sheesh!

Well darn it, they need SOME explanation,

It can't be God for Pete's sake...

If God were true they'd have to stop being wicked and then where would the fun be???

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

So are you saying wickedness comes from God and if God wasn't true we would be Good like God?
Epic Paradox.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Nope, not at all... re-read.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

So who was Moses talking to that day?
You know what? It was God's brother.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Why are you jumping from arbitrary statement to arbitrary statement?

You Atheists talk more about God than Theists do. Do you every wonder why that is?

I don't believe in Santa Claus, and can't recall speaking once about him this year except for this sentence.

Yeah, we all get it, you hate the God of the Bible and the Bible. That's fine, you're not required to believe to have an abundant life. But you'll never get someone who has been baptized in the Holy Spirit to deny the reality of God. You'll never get someone who loves the Lord to deny He exists. Give it up.

And lucky for you you don't believe He exists.. if so, your approach to constantly trying to convert the believer in Him to Atheism would be extremely foolish:

"But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. Woe unto the world because of offenses! For it must needs that offenses must come; but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh!"

Sorry, you'll never change the mind of the redeemed of the Lord. Does that make you angry?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Well what God and what lord are you referring to? There are countless of other Gods and Goddess out there. Many are copies of one another. Jesus is very similar to other God heads.
Pagan Orgins of the Christ Myth
How can I hate something I don't believe is real? That's like me hating a video game character for no reason.

And if Jesus was real. Why worship him? Because his sacrifice was to was away sin? Come on now.
Then the LORD said, 'I do forgive, just as you have asked.
Numbers 14:20 (NRS)
See this verse here proves that before Jesus. God forgave sin.
So then why does Jesus play such an important role? What is he, what did he do?

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Well what God and what lord are you referring to?

I apologize, I assumed when I said "God of the Bible", you'd understand I meant the God of the Bible.

There are countless of other Gods and Goddess out there.

Yeah, I know.

Many are copies of one another.

Yeah, I know.

Jesus is very similar to other God heads.

There is only one "Godhead", but if you mean "gods", then I completely disagree.

How can I hate something I don't believe is real?

GREAT QUESTION!!!!!! Now ponder it... why is it you post daily in a forum about God when you don't believe He exists? Are there any other forums you post daily in that discuss things you "do not" believe in, or just topics about God? lol

That's like me hating a video game character for no reason.

No, it would be like that if you made threads about the imaginary video game character, and posted if XBOX Live forums daily about the character. Then the two instances would be similar.

So my question to you still remains:

WHY are you posting daily in a forum dedicated to something you DO NOT believe exists? You speak more about God than many Theists I know.

And if Jesus was real. Why worship him?

Why should we show "worth" to Him? Because we see His love as worthy to show worth to? Why do people worship Eminem, or Peyton Manning? Or Hollywood actors?

Because his sacrifice was to was away sin? Come on now.

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."

See this verse here proves that before Jesus. God forgave sin.

Not following ya... "Before Jesus"?

"Before Abraham was, I AM" ~ Jesus

So then why does Jesus play such an important role? What is he, what did he do?

"You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of ME; and you are unwilling to come to ME, that you may have life." ~ Jesus
edit on 7-10-2010 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I know why some members posts on a subject
she/he doesn't believe in,stars and flags!
Bashing religion,God and Jesus can really
rack up some serious stars and flags,not
to mention making a "name" for themselves.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
So explain how a pillar of fire follows people in the sky? No sense except to believe it was God!

new topics

top topics

join