It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos show US soldiers posing with Afghan corpses

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Photos show US soldiers posing with Afghan corpses

www.cbsnews.com

Those who have seen the photos say they are grisly: soldiers beside newly killed bodies, decaying corpses and severed fingers.

The dozens of photos, described in interviews and in e-mails and military documents obtained by The Associated Press, were seized by Army investigators and are a crucial part of the case against five soldiers accused of killing three Afghan civilians earlier this year.

Troops allegedly shared the photos by e-mail and thumb drive like electronic trading cards. Now 60 to 70 of them are being kept tightly shielded from the public and even defense attorneys because o
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.montereyherald.com
seattletimes.nwsource.com
content.usatoday.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
‘US should leave Afghanistan before it is defeated totally’
Google censoring political hot topic: abu ghraib pictures
Shocking GRAPHIC IMAGES!! BEWARE

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Abu Ghraib repeat itself with more gruesome impact, this time in Afghanistan, soldiers posing with corpses in all kind of state, from freshly killed to decomposed and body parts included.

What in the word this soldiers caught in this photos were thinking when they took the pictures and then downloaded them.

As usual the American government is afraid of repercussions.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
To be able to participate in a war as a front line soldier you have to be desensitised to the process of killing people and being around terrible shocking things, thats just the reality of war.
During WW2 soldiers would frisk the dead bodies of Nazis to get Lugers off of them or other trophies or even boots so they could carry on fighting, treating the bodies of enemy combatants with disrespect. It isn't anything new.

Surely the point is that nations should think harder about when they deploy troops to go and kill people then deriding those troops for acting badly when the whole point of a war is to kill the enemy and treat them as targets and not human beings

edit on 1-10-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The American Government afraid of repurcussions LOL,name one American prosecuted as a war criminal at the Hague,no they are just trying to cover it up or make it go away.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I want to understand why in modern times of warfare, something as ancient as trophies of war are still used. I mean, is this type of conduct ingrained in our brains that we turn into gruesome activities while on a killing rampage.

One thing is the believe that in war battler field is going to be death, but keeping body parts as trophies?

Are we as modern human beings have a brain switch that makes us forget about our humanity?

Now two of this soldiers will be facing criminal charges, but then again isn't their job to kill the enemy?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by anglodemonicmatrix

Is not going to go away, the scandal of Abu Ghraib is still fresh in our minds and those people in the middle east, this news are all over the media outlets, including middle east news media.

We are definitely to hear more about what religious leaders that are very critical of the US in Iraq and Afghanistan have to say about this issue.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Very true. I'm not shocked or disgusted by this at all. Who does it hurt if you take a picture of yourself next to a corpse? People have been photographing morbid crap since cameras first came out. If it helps them cope, I don't really care.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Sadly enough saw them doing the same back in the 60s in vietnam... Disgusting practice.. seems nothings changed since... Only gotten worse...

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by abrowning

War is war, right, but the problem here is the one that the government is creating while using fear about repercussions because what this soldiers did.

Then to make and example, they will be prosecuted for doing what they are told to do, kill the enemy.

Double standards and we all have to listen to it, while be afraid of what the "radical Islamic will do to us".

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I'm not even Christian and I realize that "Thou shalt not kill" is relevant.

Nobody should be killing anybody.

War of any kind is wrong.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I suppose I failed to see what exactly you took issue with. Just for clarification, is it that US soldiers are shipped over seas to kill people and then vilified when they take photographic evidence? I take issue with that as well, but I sort of understand the policy of not allowing the pictures to get out.

edit on 1-10-2010 by abrowning because: Umbarasing spalling

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Exactly, that is what I find hard to understand, this soldiers are doing what they are told to do, what they are trained to do, then because they took pictures of the job they did, they will be prosecuted to appease the same enemy they are told to kill.

This is just becoming like a circus in which our soldiers are going to be the losers no matter the situation.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Oh ok, then I totally agree with you. It is ridiculous. 'Go kill these guys, but don't take pictures because you might offend some of the people we sent you over there to kill!'. I suppose the justification is probably that we don't need any more enraged Afghanis to deal with than we already have and this may send a few that were on the fence straight the f over.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I want to understand why in modern times of warfare, something as ancient as trophies of war are still used. I mean, is this type of conduct ingrained in our brains that we turn into gruesome activities while on a killing rampage.

One thing is the believe that in war battler field is going to be death, but keeping body parts as trophies?

Are we as modern human beings have a brain switch that makes us forget about our humanity?

Now two of this soldiers will be facing criminal charges, but then again isn't their job to kill the enemy?

The problem is though that to kill a person you have to forget your humanity in the first place.

To say that it's OK to put a bullet through someone's skull, but it's not OK to take a photograph of their corpse is hypocritical in the extreme.

Either human life is precious and sacred or it isn't.
choose and deal with the consequences of that choice,

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Alright, I'll be the one to ask.

Where are these pictures? I clicked on all of your links and nothing had a single image. One of your links didn't work. I am not saying it is not possible that something this horrifying couldn't be true, but I am also skeptical on its credibility. If there is an image, where is it? Okay, if it is censored, how do you know it ever existed? If you saw it yourself, how do you know it wasn't photoshop'd?

You can never know for sure, and if you just go by what people tell you in some news article or a blog, you must not read around ATS. You shouldn't listen to everything you hear. Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear, a very smart man said that.

Ponder upon this: is it not possible that is was propaganda created by a group of people wish for the further discredit of anything Western? I am sure you can imagine how many people would like the United States to fall, as well as the Westernization to cease and have people reject it utterly. Is it not possible that someone created this story under fraudulent and devious circumstances in an attempt to further stir up the storm brewing against the Western world?

You know it is possible for the MSM to twist reality to create propaganda in favor of the Western world. So how can you say it is not possible on the flip side? You can't.

All I am saying is you can never know for sure about anything you didn't witness first hand. Anything secondary is prone to human error and human deceitful behavior.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

The problem is though that to kill a person you have to forget your humanity in the first place.

That is some BS and you know it.

To protect your children you must forget your humanity now.

Hurr Okay Thurr.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Modern Americana

Damn dude really? I was at the local gun shop owned by some ex Vietnam vet and he showed me his personal collection of war pictures. It is not hard to believe AT ALL that US service members are taking pictures. I probably would do it too.

As far as not having the pictures available read the article.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Umm yeah so in your world soldiers in a war carry their children around waiting for them to be threatened before they kill people

Soldiers are expected to be able to kill complete strangers that have posed no threat to them whatsoever simply because they happen to have joined the army in the country where they were born.

Won't somebody please think of the children!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

edit on 2-10-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Try rereading what I said concerning the article.
I have read the article.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Exuberant1

Umm yeah so in your world soldiers in a war carry their children around waiting for them to be threatened before they kill people

Are you mad?

That doesn't make any sense so you must have been frustrated when you typed it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join