It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Fires Sanchez After Critique of Stewart

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com...

Rick Sanchez, a daytime anchor at CNN, was fired on Friday, a day after telling a radio interviewer that Jon Stewart was a bigot and that “everybody that runs CNN is a lot like Stewart.”

I am not sure if this is political news or not...however, we all know media is politics now days. Rick Sanchez apparently was fired on Friday, today. Read the article it is quite funny how in one person's point of view someone is racist or someone is a bigot, and on the other hand this comes from a person who feels they have been discriminated in some way. While I disagree with Rick Sanchez's approach and tactfulness, I do admire his candor in speaking about how he feels working at CNN. I think Glenn Beck felt the same way, if I remember correctly. Maybe Sanchez is trying to get onto Fox News?

edit on 1-10-2010 by ExPostFacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I am in shock here - I know he has always been pretty outspoken but this pretty much takes the cake. Why would be throw in the thing about those at CNN being like Stewart - almost makes me think something has been going on behind the scenes.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

what my jaw just dropped at reading this rick sanchez was fired!

cant stand the guy 2 years later he was still ranting on about bush but meh i think it was something deeper than we are being told.

and im telling you right now rick sanchez on fox news!!!! hahaaaaaaaaaaaaa that aint ever gonna happen.

sanchez really dug a hole for himself in that interview all i can say is what the hell?

caviat- im sure i will be eating those words

after all fox hired keith oblerman but had the sense to fire him.

edit on 1-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Just another Latino doing the jobs Americans refuse to do.
Second Line

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

They absolutely fired Olberman and would not hire Sanchez because the "Fair and Balanced" network only hires Far Right Wing Conservatives that tow the party line.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Double Post

edit on 10/1/2010 by frimilden because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by frimilden

have you ever watched foxnews for more than 5 seconds? 5 minutes?

take a good look at the foxnews and foxbusiness news employee list not every single one of them are "rank and file" right winger extremists.

edit on 1-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
God, I thought they would have canned Sanchez because his show is absolute garbage. I think that a show whos premise involves Twitter and Facebook is a failed premise for a show.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

wow man the world must be ending something we actually agree on

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Too bad... he is the only guy I kinda liked on CNN...

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I did not quite understand how Sanchez kept his job as it was. He seemed more confused by his job than anything else. Just recently he was praising Stephen Colbert over Stewart because "Colbert is the real American." Apparently satire did not really work with Sanchez if he truly believed he agreed with Stephen and truly believed he hated what John stood for.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
It's true. This from the CNN site:

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- CNN anchor Rick Sanchez abruptly left the network Friday afternoon, just one day after making controversial comments on a satellite radio program.

"Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company," according to a statement from CNN. "We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well."

On Thursday, Sanchez appeared on the XM Sirius radio program "Stand-Up with Pete Dominick." During the interview with Dominick, Sanchez called "The Daily Show's" Jon Stewart "a bigot" and then said that he was bigoted against "everybody else who's not like him. Look at his show, I mean, what does he surround himself with?"

edition.cnn.com...

Apparently, upon more in-depth examination, it was thought to be a slur on Jewish people.
I'm shocked they let him go, though. Not sure if the slur was intended, or just about Stewart specifically.

edit on Sat Oct 2 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: to add link: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Rick Sanchez's remarks were a little more complex than that. He also basically stated that Jews and elitists snubbed their noses at minority reporters -- in short it was a bigoted rant. He shouldn't be at all surprised that he was fired after making those comments on the air, as he should have known it would be career suicide.

source

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I just went to CNN.com and their article says Sanchez left CNN - they did not say he was fired. If I could figure out how to leave a link I would have. There is a difference between him leaving or being fired so now I wonder which it was. He may have been ask to leave on his own

edit on 1-10-2010 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
He wanted to be the Glenn Beck of CNN, but failed to get all 10 of CNN's regular viewers to tune in.

I suppose when you suck at journalism, especially as a news anchor it is because of your race or religion.. It must be, he was oppressed, being held back by the white overlord liberals.

Whaaaaaa!

I heard the food channel is hiring, maybe he could get a 10 minute segment to do Cuban/American dishes?

edit on 1-10-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the link..maria_S! There is a second one too, if anybody wants to hear it, use Maria_Stardust's link.

edit on 10/1/2010 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
You know, it never occurred to me that Rick Sanchez was Cuban-American. His name should have given it away, but I didn't get it. Anyway, I have never been able to STAND him. I remember when he first came to CNN. His arrogance (clearly from insecurity) turned me OFF! So, I'm glad he lost his job.

He should have known that his words would have a very negative effect on his life. I agree that it was the Jewish remark more then anything that lost him his job.

When asked if Stewart could be considered a minority because he is Jewish, Sanchez balked:

"Very powerless people. He's such a minority, I mean, you know… Please, what are you kidding?…I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart...the people in this country who are Jewish -- are an oppressed minority? Yeah,"

Source

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

He really did seem very arrogant and this little outburst of his seemed to reinforce that fact, at least for me. I also found his victim complex rather appalling considering he is (heh was) probably bringing home more than most Americans.

You really need to listen to the audio to get the full effect but man what an unpleasant person.

edit on 1-10-2010 by abrowning because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

According to Rick ,Lou Dobbs was a bigot ,(Lou's wife and kids are hispanic). Anybody not for the NAU was a bigot according to Rick.

Here is what is real.

Rick Sanchez ran over a man and left the guy for dead.

It was December 10, 1990. Sanchez was leaving a Miami Dolphins game when he ran over a man. Sanchez fled the scene for two hours.

Finally, Sanchez came back. Two hours after the incident, Sanchez was still drunk — well above the legal limit. But Sanchez was a well known Miami reporter with lots of friends on the police force. He was never charged with the hit and run. He just pled no contest to DUI.

The man Sanchez hit and ran away from? He died in 1995, paralyzed and in a nursing home.

This is the guy who decided to take to television this week and moralize against Rush.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Sanchez endorsed Colbert's rally on his show recently and in response Colbert came back with saying that Sanchez's support would garner him all of like "tens of supporters". It was so funny, but...

I think it really got to Sanchez.

" Rick Sanchez's endorsement of the March to Keep Fear Alive will get Stephen tens of supporters. (04:17)

www.colbertnation.com...

Colbert and his writers tore Sanchez a new one last week in the Report before offering him to join Mr Colbert on stage at his rally in order to be tasered by Mr Colbert. (Also hilarious)

I wonder if the comments last week sent this racist psycho over the edge. Ha, if it did. And if so, then way to go over there at Comedy Central.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join