It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

Agreed.
The discovery does not suggest someone is running around, building cities and browsing the Internet, like us. It's a fallacy, inept and ridiculous to dismiss this as nothing. I know this is speculation, but if we now have the capability to discover potential habitable planets then surely we would have the technology to discover signs of civilizations?

This star, Gliese 581, has three potential candidates for life - Gliese 581, c, d and now g (the new discovery) We might not have found an advance civilization, but may be this is genesis.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

Originally posted by Machismo88
TextYoreply to post by OldDragger

Your just a stupid ignorant...Do some research before talking you ham.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gee, what a thoughful reply.
Care to point out my ignorance?
Do you know anything at all about Astronomy, or any science?
Put your money where your mouth is child, let's hear it!

But, I bet you have nothing at al but....belief.
You used that key word again, its your belief they have never visited. Thats all you have is a belief. Hence the contradiction

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Not fallacy. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Drake equation.

If you have only a group of ten planets that could potentially harbor life, there are fewer places in which intelligent life might have arisen, much less intelligent life that has advanced to the point of achieving interstellar travel. Maybe intelligent life would have arisen on all or none of them. And of those on which it did, maybe none of them, or maybe a handful, achieved interstellar travel. Who knows? But increase that group to 10 million such planets, and that at least gives many more potential opportunities for this to happen. That's not to say that it will on any of the 10 million, either, though.

I agree, there's a lot we know, and a lot we don't. It's definitely an exciting time in terms of extrasolar planet discoveries! I'm not taking at face value that there are others who can manipulate the universe at will, or that others might not have advanced far beyond us in terms of scientific understanding. I also don't think it's impossible for others to have discovered how to put into practice ways we've already been imagining as theoretically possible (e.g., utilizing wormholes, strategies to feasibly increase speed or make the commitment to a very long multigenerational journey, etc.).

But that's neither here nor there. It's more exciting to witness the beginning of discoveries that mean there's other potentially habitable places in our galactic neighborhood. Places that will hopefully motivate us to figure out interstellar travel for ourselves, regardless of who else out there may or may not have already figured it out.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Ariel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I keep all this "big breakthrough" type threads on a list.
Try an ATS search, lots of big BIG news! NWO takovers, martial law, you name it, and of course DISCLOSURE!!!
Even name specific dates, goes back years! But, .....never happens.
A while ago it was that clown in New Hampshire ( or where ever), the "high ranking" one term Congressman that new all! But, it was BS!
According to ATS, right now there are HUGE spaceships heading our way> Did you know the rapture took place recently?
This discovery isn't new, has NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH ALIENS VISITING EARTH!
The reason the "believers" are in a frenzy is because an idiot astronomer said 100% chance of life. Dumb statement. And it's just plain dumb to connect any of this with disclosure!
Starting to catch on?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Another significant area of the night sky, for ufologists, is Libra. That's where Gliese 581 is located

But, of course, this is merely coincidence.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This whole controversy has got me on the defense. Up until now talk of aliens in government or other authoritive or professional establishments was a buzz word. It just wasnt talked about. It was taboo to talk of it as it was almost considered crazy talk and was avoided due to the risk of being labeled a lunatic.

NOW, everyone is talking about it, including the UN and the Vatican.

Smells like a setup.

edit on 30-9-2010 by AzoriaCorp because: add

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cydonia2012

I think we know too little of physics when it comes to space, our knowledge of space is so limited that its hard to conclude that there simply is no way for an advanced species to visit us. Einstain talked about wormholes and science is proving that they are very possible. Even if light speed is impossible to acheive if you could create a wormhole and control where it leads you then the posibilities are endles as to where you could go in a short amount of time. But again, we dont know this as FACT, because of our limited knowledge of the universe and how it works.

I can see where you are coming from and yes we do not know all there is to know about physics , judging by this article below we might even need to review are current understandings.Limited is a correct word to use in describing our current understanding of the universe.If this paper passes the "peer review" and is accepted then what a real revelation and wake up call for our current understandings.

VLT May Have Proven That Our Laws Of Physics Are Wrong - The Universe Is Not Equal;

"the VLT (Very Large Telescope) in Chile has found that may prove our science based knowledge of laws and physics in the universe is completely and utterly incorrect and the so called experts in these matters may have to issue apologies for trying to ridicule the people who disagreed with them"

Seems that if this is correct then that is a lot of apologising to do;

The study will be published in Physical Review Letters. (ANI)

link;sify.com...

The implications for our current understanding of science are profound. If the laws of physics turn out to be merely 'local by-laws', it might be that whilst our observable part of the universe favours the existence of life and human beings, other far more distant regions may exist where different laws preclude the formation of life, at least as we know it.” “If our results are correct, clearly we shall need new physical theories to satisfactorily describe them

link source; www.swinburne.edu.au...

edit on 15/07/2010 by K-PAX-PROT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I will not hold my breath...
Answers will only come if people keep demanding them so...and even then it may not happen.
Time is just the one thing we all have...and every second we lose it..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ariel
reply to post by ADUB77

Yes, it's possible, and we have examples of it in our solar system. Mercury doesn't rotate. It's 'tidally locked' to the sun because of how close it is to the sun, so that one side always faces the sun and the other side always is in darkness and faces away from the sun. Just like the moon is tidally locked to the earth so that the same side always faces us.

Mercury and the moon do rotate ... The moon is in a synchronous rotation, and mercury rotates 1 1/2 times in 1 year.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
OK The UN "Ambassador" thing is a FREAKIN HOAX!
Google it. I'm at work, I'm not going to post links! BOTH the UN and the woman named say it's NOT TRUE!
So stop citing that.
As for The Vatican, so what? They simply acknowledged the possibility of life elsewhere!
Big deal!
Calm down believers, there is nothing happening here!
Jeeeez!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

You registerd in 06, i thought you would of been able to understand its all part of ATS. Not much you can do about it, moaning isnt helping. People who believe an ET coverup are happy because it affirms even more to us that its possible a disclosure event is coming, nobody knows when. You saying "Itll never happen" Is ignorant, what more your talking as if you know the boundries of ET tech, Stephen Hawking suggested its possible to harness the power of a sun using mirrors to create a wormhole to travel large distances. Theres a lot we dont understand, dont be fooled into believeing we know everything.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

OK The UN "Ambassador" thing is a FREAKIN HOAX!
Google it. I'm at work, I'm not going to post links! BOTH the UN and the woman named say it's NOT TRUE!
So stop citing that.
As for The Vatican, so what? They simply acknowledged the possibility of life elsewhere!
Big deal!
Calm down believers, there is nothing happening here!
Jeeeez!
Prove that nothings happening behind the scenes.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Haydn_17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565...cant remember who it was , could have been von braun , that the space race is lost ,we started backwards with the whole thing and lost a ton of capital and resources
in the process , call it bad entropy...

First, you are making some very interesting observations. I can completely understand your point of view. Without the past 50 years of space science, we would not have certain advancements in sciences. We really didn't waste all those years, for we benefited technologically in the biological sectors.

Second, we as a species have lost interest. Since we have not pushed beyond government intervention, the possibility of human space exploration has dwindled. Obama has just recently ended the United States' human space exploration program. Not only did we go backwards, but we managed to destroy all possibility.

Third, we have 20,000 pieces of space junk in orbit. After 50 years of hanging out in low-Earth orbit, all we have to show for it is space junk. NO ONE is motivated to clean the mess. Until we take some more responsibility for our own actions, going beyond Earth's orbit will just be a pipe dream.

We have a mess of reasons to explore space, but we lack the motivation, unity, ethics, and economics to make it all possible.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Fragile belief system! Har har

Same dumb cliche's that are allways thrown at GASP non "believers"!
Heard this for decades, you got nothing!
Yeah, mass suicides!

Really you people parrot the EXACT SAME thing that's been said since the 1950's! EXACTLY the same as the plot of a 50's flying saucer movie! And you think it new and radical and "awake" Hilarious!
Kids crack me up!
It's trite and cliche'd!
Probably the least likley explanation!

And You do the exact same thing as all skeptics have....

Act incredulous and with an air of superiority...lol....

You couldn't think your way out of a 10cent paperbag......

If you thought for yourself and had any abillity to analyze the big picture, you would see what many others have seen. That all of the things that have been happening for the last fifty years has been a gradual preparedness of the public for the acceptance of E.T. existence.

Similar to homosexuals taking over children's tv and preparing the next generations for homosexual acceptance.

We are culminating at this moment and the releases of information are getting closer and closer together, which means that disclosure of SOME kind must be imminent... and you can hold me to that if we continue to see more disclosures like this.

All the evidence of psychological manipulation of the public points to this. If you can't see that or even admit the possibility to yourself, then you are either 1)incapable of rational analyzation, or 2) Have your head buried in the sand.

So Mr. Ostrich have fun trying to deal with disclosure if and when it happens.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

So I should just go with the flow of pop culture ignorance? Because it's ATS.
I should not say a word, believe every website, think stargates are real and aliens are vacationing on Earth?
Why?
So as to not rock the boat? Not upset the "believers"?
Naw, ignorance ans superstition bug me, I don't like it.
Especially when it's masked as open minded, outside the box, awake, alternative thinking.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ADUB77

Tidally locked in orbit does not mean it is not rotating. It means the the period of rotation is exactly the same on its axis as it takes to rotate around its partner. So one side always faces its partner because it the rotation is synchronized with its other partner.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
A variable that is often overlooked is timing as well

Even if life exists on other planets, which is most likely true, what are the odds of another "intelligent" species developing at the same time as us

If we are merely a second on the Earth's clock then intelligent life may evolve and become extinct in that same very perspective

The odds of 2 intelligent races evolving to "space travel" technology at the same time let alone at all is just not a bet I would take personally

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Whats ignorant is refusing we have evidence, theres heaps of it, ancient writing of flying machines, photos , videos, eye witness testimony, pyshical evidence, a stone egyptian coffin cut so precise modern day tech would have trouble doing it. I think you refuse to even consider it because it goes against your belief, and slowly your belief is crumbling before your eyes. The ones who used to laugh will be the ones getting laughed at.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Haydn_17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I'm not sure of the significance of this but I do find it odd;

Scientists spotted 'mysterious pulse of light' from direction of newly-discovered '2nd Earth' two years ago

An astronomer picked up a mysterious pulse of light coming from the direction of the newly discovered Earth-like planet almost two years ago, it has emerged.

Dr Ragbir Bhathal, a scientist at the University of Western Sydney, picked up the odd signal in December 2008, long before it was announced that the star Gliese 581 has habitable planets in orbit around it.

A member of the Australian chapter of SETI, the organisation that looks for communication from distant planets, Dr Bhathal had been sweeping the skies when he discovered a 'suspicious' signal from an area of the galaxy that holds the newly-discovered Gliese 581g.

His discovery had come just months before astronomers announced that they had found a similar, slightly less habitable planet around the same star 20 light years away. This planet was called Gliese 581e.

Kinda spooky :0
Mysterious Light spotted from Gliese 581g

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by WeSbO

Thanks for that info. It got me to look more deeply into what tidal locking specifically is. And while I was doing that, someone posted a great summary of it here

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join