It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you sell your soul for personal gain?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I was just listening to the radio today while at work, and they had a piece on it, where a guy phoned in and told the dj, on air, that his soul is for sale. He wants 20 million dollars for it.

So this got me thinking, would any of you sell your soul. Ala, Faust style?

I know there will people coming on here, not believing in souls, but give us your side too.

Also, how would you actually sell your soul? I never understood if it could actually be done, or if its just a figurative thing.

Look, I don't want to sell my soul, I just though it an interesting topic.

VVV

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I don't know about selling my soul, but I'd entertain a "lease to own" option for a few grand and a case or two of Heineken.

Times are tough!

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
already sold mine for a cigarette when i was 13 don't know if the owner still has paperwork tho (a piece of paper with the words Daniel Hanson's soul on it) dose that count lol

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I can understand everyone's lighthearted comments on this. Kinda expected it.

I am just wondering if there is a more serious side to this.

VVV

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
hmm...selling your soul.

depends on how it was approached...if a demon popped up into existance and convinced me he was of supernatural origins..whatever parlor tricks he can do that would sufficiently impress me, then chances are no...simply because that would then make me believe that indeed I have a soul and it is something that can be taken.

From what I understand, the place such souls end up is not a desired place to be in such cases...

now, if it was some absolute eccentric nutcase whom was going to give me his fortune for what he percieves as a soul, then maybe...if the guy wants a delusion of a soul harvester and will give millions for it...then cool.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
already have.

cheers,
aa

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep,

Sell my soul for personal gain?? What is there to gain when one has to hand over his soul to obtain it??

Nope, would never sell any of my personal belongings but I guess when someone is in need of a soul, when I die, they could have mine. Kinda the same deal as I have with my organs....as long as I have no use for it, you can have it.

I would join a soul-donation-program. If possible I am even willing to donate part of soul if this does not immobilize me to much.....

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I geuss it will be easy for most people to indeed sell their soul.

My worry is what happens when you die, and the time comes for your soul to pay its dues.

I doubt if that will be a happpy place. Me personally, will not sell my soul for anything.

I reckon that even if you lightheardtedly tell someone, "oh you can have my soul, for that item" and you actually seal the deal, your soul is lost. Sure, you won't feel any different, but the damage has been done.

So I don't think your soul is something to play around with.

VVV

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   
If a serious post you want, a serious post you shall have!

What is the realistic basis for the notion of selling ones soul? Take away Mephistopheles, the cloud of smoke, and the contract, in hand, waiting to be signed in blood - and what are we left with? Well, we are left with want. To sell ones soul there has to be something we covet,,, Something beyond our reach that fills us with desire and envy. After all, we don't think in these terms of what we can attain through honest commerce. No... thoughts of soul bartering only come for that which we cannot have.

For some it might be an object of sexual desire... Someone who wouldn't take notice of us otherwise.

For others there are treasures... Yachts, mansions, jewels, private jets...

And some dream of walking to the crossroads in pursuit of that most powerful of drugs... Fame.

For these types of things we find ourselves tempted to think of our souls as currency adequate enough to engage in transaction... For these types of things we ponder the unthinkable.

But what is the reality of selling ones soul? Where do we, as actual human beings, come to make our actual deals with the Devil? Well the answers here ensnare us much more easily than any manifest Devil ever could.

Have you ever lied with motive and profited from it, even on merely an emotional level?
Have you ever stolen, even the tiniest trinket, because you coveted it?
Have you ever stuck a knife, no matter how small, or no matter how morally appropriate you felt the act to be, into the back of somebody who trusted you not to?

All these things are transactions of the soul. And we are all guilty, to one degree or another, of having done so.

In the end we all sell our souls, to some extent. We receive our rewards, small or great, for having done so. It's just that quite often we don't see the Devils who tempt us, nor do we realize that we're laying our blood out upon the contract as we seek our own fulfillment.

~Heff

edit on 9/27/10 by Hefficide because: missed an S

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
How could one sell their soul if human's do not have a soul?
Kind of defeats the purpose.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I think the soul is slippery, like the fish, and as soon as you sold it maybe it would gasp for a while, beat it's tail and slip back into the stream.

There is no life/afterlife ultimately.
We are already spirit-souls in a body. We are already ghosts.
We are enjoying and suffering because of previous sales of our souls to materialism.

We contaminated our souls, or spiritual selves once a long time ago and fell into materialism.
But ultimately we yearn for our true, fixed spiritual home.
Not to get too religious, but every living soul will get there eventually.

edit on 27-9-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Hi romanticrebel.

How is this possible? We do not have souls? Can you please elaborate on that claim?

I can see if you believe that, the question has no relevence on you.

VVV

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

As you can already tell I'm an Atheist. But where is the claim that man has a soul?
I have not seen one and no one else has.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Everybody to his own. You are an anthiest, that is your choice.

Of course there is no proof that anyone got a soul or not, it's all about faith.

Thankyou for your reply.

VVv

edit on 27-9-2010 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I would sell my soul for a soul.

Sorry, I just wanted to say that. Though I will be respectful and contribute

Like a poster pointed out above, there must be something to "want". As of now, I would say "Nah, not for sale." But that doesn't mean there isn't a price.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Assuming human beings have an eternal soul, what would be the point selling it for gain?

Life is fleeting, so it would be like trading a planet for a loaf of bread.

edit on 27/9/2010 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

Precisely mate.

That is why i am wondering why some people can so easily give it up!!!

This is all assuming that we have a soul in the first place.

Of course there is many people who don't believe we have a soul, but just think for a moment if you did have one.

Would you still want to trade it for material gain so easily.?

VVv

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Would you still want to trade it for material gain so easily.?

You didn't say that in the OPost. (Material Gain) You just said "Sell your soul..."

I would not sell it for material gain, though there could still be exceptions to that rule.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

I said would you sell your soul for personal gain. Meaning for material gain, for knowledge gain, for being super strong etc etc.

I hope this clarifies it a bit.

VVV

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Fair enough!

Here is my thought:

If I can sell my soul, that means there is some sort of economic system in the afterlife(world). Logically I would think there are "lawyers" that could help me with the selling of my soul.

Since they too would want to make "money" (whatever constitutes wealth in their economic system) I think I could find a semi reliable entity to help. Oh, and I have a pretty good head on my shoulders (If that counts?)

Now, before I would sell it I would find out its "value" on that economic market. I mean, I don't want to get stiffed (Pun intended) Once I have filled my satisfactions, I would sell my soul (or not).

If any of that process was hindered, then they are a shady salesman, and I would not trade/barter

edit on 9/27/2010 by adigregorio because: Changed "Purchase/Sell" to "Trade/Barter"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join