It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama campaigned for INCREASING the war in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'm just amazed at how many people think he said he would 'end all wars everywhere' or some such nonsense. Where do these people get their news?

Or is it part of an active disinfo campaign to discredit valid criticism of Obama by making absurd claims that are easily refuted?

"As President, I will pursue a tough, smart and principled national security strategy -- one that recognizes that we have interests not just in Baghdad, but in Kandahar and Karachi, in Tokyo and London, in Beijing and Berlin," he continued. "I will focus this strategy on five goals essential to making America safer: ending the war in Iraq responsibly; finishing the fight against al Qaeda and the Taliban; securing all nuclear weapons and materials from terrorists and rogue states; achieving true energy security; and rebuilding our alliances to meet the challenges of the 21st century."

www.boston.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It's the same old rhetoric, promising something that is popular with voters and not following through when in office. No wonder people are dissatisfied with both parties.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by eccentric_crazy_guy

He did say he was going to put more troops in Afghanistan as part of his campaign. And he did that. So how did he not follow through?

This was during the presidential debates with John McCain.

I don't understand why people who are supposed to be intelligent free thinkers forget this so easily.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by eccentric_crazy_guy

He did say he was going to put more troops in Afghanistan as part of his campaign. And he did that. So how did he not follow through?

This was during the presidential debates with John McCain.

I don't understand why people who are supposed to be intelligent free thinkers forget this so easily.

Sending more troops at the command of The Military Industrial Complex and all those who benefit from military weapons/war isn't surprising. Anything to improve the profits of those that control the country is going to be pushed through RIGHT away.

Anything to help the country and the people (alternate energy) will be played up during elections then abandoned when in office.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Cataka

I wasn't talking about the Military Industrial Complex
Jesus Christ on a rubber crutch, just can't win with some idiots.

"Obama bad, say he want end war in Afghanistan then bad man send more troops!"

"But he didn't say he wanted to end the war in Afghanistan, he said he was going to send more troops to Afghanistan"

"Obama bad, say he want troops in Afghanistan all along, support military industrial complex, bad man tell truth!"

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cataka

that statement doesnt fly for me for the simply fact the american military industrial complex is almost non existence anymore

simple fact the globalization of the military industrial complex is largely outsourced in this country.

simple fact the majority of weapon systems in this country are designed by europeans made with crap from china and taiwan and funded for the most part by foreign investors in the defense industry.

but hey you still want to think that thats fine there are others who know that this is simple not the truth.

to the op: what interests do we have in beijing,london,berlin

and the promise to end afghanistan and iraq when his adminstration has bascially for all intensive purposes tied the hands of the militray much like johnson during vietnam?

seems to me while he did make the promise but when you limit what they can do you tell them what they can and cant do you are effectivly prolonging the war.

edit on 25-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
not sure who is saying he campaigned on ending the war in afghanistan...it was iraq he said that.

he said we lost focus on the war and went to iraq...we need to leave iraq and get back on the ball in Afgh.

I suspect spin...some people are dumb enough to remember history different than what it was...sadly, spin like that doesn't work very well anymore in the age of youtube...now things are a click away to get the facts.

but then again, facts have a liberal agenda...damn you facts!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Obama is a warmonger just like the Neo con Republicans.

What is the big hoopla. We all knew Obama was going to be a warmonger, if you didn't, you were not listening to him.

Now, all the things he lied about you should be mad with, not the warmongering. That he is good at.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by eccentric_crazy_guy
It's the same old rhetoric, promising something that is popular with voters and not following through when in office. No wonder people are dissatisfied with both parties.

LOL!

No, the POINT is that he didn't promise those things. And yet I still come across stupid people EVER DAY who claim Obama lied about Afghanistan.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

You are right, clearly the real idiots are the ones that voted for Obama based on his anti-war stance thinking there would be a wink and nod implied strategy for bringing the troops home; although he did say that quite often - bringing our men and women home. That didn't happen - in Iraq or Afghanistan. I know people headed back over to Iraq that are afraid because they don't have the same level of support and protection as they have had in the past.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

GAH! The war in Iraq is over. It really really is. Yes we do still have troops in Iraq, and we probably will have troops in Iraq for a very VERY long time. Hell, we still have troops in South Korea and Germany!

Obama did campaign on increasing the war in Afghanistan. He really really did, if people thought that he was going to end all wars (the idiot right wingers who keep perpetrating this lie) they are the morons. Because clearly he stated that he was going to refocus the war on Afghanistan. Right wingers however ignored that, took the part where he said that he was going to end the war in Iraq (which he did) and made it seem like we were going to completely pull out of the middle east altogether.

Right wingers have been supplying a vast amount of disinformation ever since Obama took office. They keep making crap up that simply isn't true, and every single one of these Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Andrew Breitbart brainwashed idiots have no idea what Obama actually campaigned on. They just keep feeding at the right wing trough of disinformation and lies that flow out of their masters mouths.

They feed off of this disinformation and lies like it's manna from on high, worshiping these fear monger lie factories with every breath they take. They always will, because they are too brainwashed to actually research anything themselves and take everything that Beck, Palin, Limbaugh, Breitbart say as gospel.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
reply to post by justadood

You are right, clearly the real idiots are the ones that voted for Obama based on his anti-war stance thinking there would be a wink and nod implied strategy for bringing the troops home; although he did say that quite often - bringing our men and women home. That didn't happen - in Iraq or Afghanistan. I know people headed back over to Iraq that are afraid because they don't have the same level of support and protection as they have had in the past.

No, i'm saying people who made an ASSUMPTION of Obama's foreign policy, instead of basing it on actual information are foolish.

And as noted above, thousands of troops have come home from Iraq since the last election. You might find better results if you based your opinions on verified facts.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by ararisq

Obama did campaign on increasing the war in Afghanistan. He really really did, if people thought that he was going to end all wars (the idiot right wingers who keep perpetrating this lie) they are the morons. Because clearly he stated that he was going to refocus the war on Afghanistan.

Right wingers however ignored that, took the part where he said that he was going to end the war in Iraq (which he did) and made it seem like we were going to completely pull out of the middle east altogether.

Right wingers have been supplying a vast amount of disinformation ever since Obama took office. They keep making crap up that simply isn't true, and every single one of these Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Andrew Breitbart brainwashed idiots have no idea what Obama actually campaigned on. They just keep feeding at the right wing trough of disinformation and lies that flow out of their masters mouths.

They feed off of this disinformation and lies like it's manna from on high, worshiping these fear monger lie factories with every breath they take. They always will, because they are too brainwashed to actually research anything themselves and take everything that Beck, Palin, Limbaugh, Breitbart say as gospel.

I actually think there should be a thread or two about this dis-info campaign and how it plays out here in the intertubes.

is there one already i should know about?

top topics

join