It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New kind of torpedoes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Originally posted by pushkin
I think you can get much more then 360km/h.

That's pretty much "mandatory"... because its speed should be about 5400 km/h to achieve Mach 1 underwater.

It flying NOT in water but in bubble of air.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
it still has to go that speed to reach mach one

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
So far I don't see anybody picking up on the fact that current torpedos can be fired when you aren't lined up perfectly with the target, and the "air bubble" torps can't do that.

Submarines make noise when they are manuevering, so this is unacceptable. You must be able to fire the torpedo from an imperfect angle and have it make corrections. Furthermore, current torpedos can adjust if they aren't fired dead on, and this design can't do that.

A manuevering system has to be addressed. At a considerable distance. it has to be considered that navies will eventually modify submarines to counter this threat. The most likely answer is either a countermeasure which creates a cavity beneath the torp to pull it down and off target, or a more traditional heavy-metal countermeasure with the mass and velocity to deflect the coming generation of KE torps. Developing the necessary reaction time will be a challenge, but will inevitably be done.

I don't have a source, but I can tell you that I read about these weapons quite some time ago, and they are no mystery to the US Navy, although they currently seem to be a technological dead end.

My initial reaction to the problem is to use a thrust-vectored rocket-torpedo that cavitates an area smaller than it's total size, to reduce resistance and increase speed while retaining manueverablity and targeting time. The use of fins extending out of the cavitation area would also work perhaps.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
So far I don't see anybody picking up on the fact that current torpedos can be fired when you aren't lined up perfectly with the target, and the "air bubble" torps can't do that.

Submarines make noise when they are manuevering, so this is unacceptable. You must be able to fire the torpedo from an imperfect angle and have it make corrections. Furthermore, current torpedos can adjust if they aren't fired dead on, and this design can't do that.

A manuevering system has to be addressed. At a considerable distance. it has to be considered that navies will eventually modify submarines to counter this threat. The most likely answer is either a countermeasure which creates a cavity beneath the torp to pull it down and off target, or a more traditional heavy-metal countermeasure with the mass and velocity to deflect the coming generation of KE torps. Developing the necessary reaction time will be a challenge, but will inevitably be done.

I don't have a source, but I can tell you that I read about these weapons quite some time ago, and they are no mystery to the US Navy, although they currently seem to be a technological dead end.

My initial reaction to the problem is to use a thrust-vectored rocket-torpedo that cavitates an area smaller than it's total size, to reduce resistance and increase speed while retaining manueverablity and targeting time. The use of fins extending out of the cavitation area would also work perhaps.

Russian torpedo first fired from submarine like simple torpedo. And then few minuts later propeller engege disconnect and rocket fire.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
but you have to agree though they will eventually come up with some way to counter this threat I don't think they have the counter measures now but in the future I have no doubt that they will think of something.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The latest version of this torpedo has a guidance system

E_T

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by psteel

Well, thats' just one really big problem, submarine going at 30 kts is "pretty" deaf and this fish goes at speed of 200 kts.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Originally posted by psteel

Well, thats' just one really big problem, submarine going at 30 kts is "pretty" deaf and this fish goes at speed of 200 kts.

This torpedo or should I say missile, has been in development since the 1960s .Even back then they could achieve speeds of upto 5 times the fasted torp IE 200-300knts which is almost 1/2 the speed of sound in air or M-1 [yes I know speed of sound in water is faster].

www.milparade.ru...

www.fas.org...

www.periscope.ucg.com...

Sonar is not the only way to guide or see in water.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by psteel]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join