It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

feed 30 people good for not much $. What would you cook?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Go for the full round the world trip on the hamburger! You've done the Italian, you've said you will try a new chilli so that takes care of the Mexican. How about a South African themed meal with boboti (a curried meatloaf) with rice or potatoes and fresh mango in the salad? Or how about themed meals? Krishna food, vegetarian with cous cous or rice, lots of lentils and turmeric. Or a British '70's themed meal with prawn cocktails and shepherds pie? And what about pudding? A simple soup with rolls followed by a sublime sweet, baked fruit with chantilly cream or a gateau perhaps, can be very satisfying.

posted on Nov, 7 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

2 bags of egg noodles (or any pasta noodle you like)

A family can of cream of chicken soup

Boneless/skinless chicken

Velveeta cheese

Milk

Many veggies can be used with this; tomatoes, bell peppers, black olives, ect. Whatever you like, or none at all.

Chicken bullion

At least to baking pans

Cube and boil the chicken

Boil the noodles

(use the bullion for added flavor with the noodles and chicken)

Depending on how thick you want the cheese sauce, mix 2 cups milk and 1/8 the
block of velveeta

when both finish, mix together with cream of chicken soup, cheese sauce and any veggies you use

Use the mix to put a layer in bottom of pan

Add thin strips of velveeta (not to much, as it can get quite thick)

Add another layer of noodles then cheese and so on till both pans are full

On top, to form the crust, add extra strips of velveeta and veggies

Stick in the over at about 375 to melt the cheese, if you want the top browned a bit put on broil but watch closely.

(Also Chicken and Dumplings are good for big crowds as well as Brisket.)
edit on 7-11-2010 by Forgoten_Whisper because:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Lobsters,crab cakes with steak as an appetizzer. that doesnt cost much.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I believe the last question addressed from the OP was what to go with a pot of chili. I would recommend salad and garlic bread. That also seems to be the best accompaniments to go with your spaghetti as well as for many similar meals. You didn't mention how you round out your spaghetti meals, knowing that would give an indication of how complete a meal or to what lengths you care to go in preparing these.

I realize this thread is a few months old and just brought back to life by the post before mine, but I have plenty of suggestions for easy, low-cost meals for a few or a few dozen if there is still interest. Please comment back if there is, or I may initiate a similar thread making multi-use of resources when possible. For example:

There was a suggestion earlier for fried rice and chicken. I would suggest chicken for being innexpensive and pre-cooking legs and thighs in a stockpot and finishing them in the oven with an appropriate oriental basting. Your chicken stock would make a good egg flower soup or won ton soup to go along with the fried rice and chicken. I also make good use out of my pasta machine to make won tons for the soup or for egg roll wrappers to add another side dish. You could fry the won tons as an alternative.

A very quick sweet 'n sour dipping sauce or coating for the chicken can be made by mixing some cider vinegar with ketchup. That's the quickest sweet 'n sour but I have better recipes and more ideas if anyone expresses interest here. If not then perhaps in a different thread.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Dried beans...pinto, navy, blackeyed pea...and corn bread.... and some greens...and sweet potatoes.

That is why such things were a staple of southern and country cookin...big families, big appetites, and no money.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Dry beans, rice and lentils in bulk are all very cheap and full of protein and fiber, plus they double in size once you cook them. All you need is a pressure cooker and some spices. Garlic is cheap, so are onions...a little salt, some peppers and maybe celery...

Watch out though, someone tried to do this in Orlando two years ago and got fined for feeding 25 people in a public park.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
A favorite here is figgy balsamic beef...you could add potatoes as a side too. The origional recipe that was from a beef it's what's for dinner thing from a magazine but I've modified it for parties and taste.

I'd end up multiplying this recipe for the amount of people you mentioned though.

2 lbs beef cubed 1'
2 large onions cut into similar sized chunks as the beef
2 red pepper, cut into similar sized chunks
1-2 containers of cherry tomatoes
3/4 cup fig preserves (ginger fig works really well in this too)
1/4-1/2 C balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Mix the jelly, vinegar olive oil, garlic,s&p and then pour in a container with the beef and onions and refrigerate for at least an hour. Alternate between beef, onion, tomatoes and peppers on kabobs and grill like you would a normal kabob. I've also just taken everything and dumped it in a crockpot to cook on low all day and that turned out well too.

Original recipe was
1 (1 lb) boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
1 medium red onion, cut into 12 pieces
1/2 cup fig preserves, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Soak four 10-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain. Cut beef steak into sixteen 1-1/4 inch pieces.
Alternately thread beef and onion pieces evenly onto skewers. Set aside.
Combine preserves, vinegar, oil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in small bowl; reserve 1/4 cup for dipping. Brush kabobs with some of remaining sauce.
Place kabobs on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, about 7 to 9 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning and basting with sauce every 2 minutes.
Season kabobs with salt, as desired. Serve with reserved sauce for dipping.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
If i was to cook for 30 people for not much money i would cook chicken with salad and pasta and soup thats what i would cook for 30 people.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
If i was to cook for 30 people for not much money i would cook chicken with salad and pasta and soup thats what i would cook for 30 people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join