It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Era of Cheap Food Ending?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Is the Era of Cheap Food Ending?

gizmodo.com

the fate of a planet whose resources have, in the last 200 years, been carelessly, even ruthlessly exploited for the benefit of the minority. Now that the majority is beginning to demand - or at least crave - the same kind of existence...

And this is precisely the reason that genetically modified foods look like an increasingly attractive option. The way things are trending—both with food markets and global diets—the demand for food is quickly outpacing what agriculture and husbandry can supply.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost. com
www.organicconsumers.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
FDA Barring Food Makers from Advertising Products as GMO-Free

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It seems like the push for GMO foods is beginning on all fronts. This story comes from Gizmodo a website about gadgets!

With the battle for GMO Salmon on right now I guess we will be seeing these pop up all over. It makes me sick.

Even sicker that the FDA is trying to stop labeling of GMO free.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And there is know links to birth defects and infertility.
www.organicconsumers.org...

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Genetically modified food exists, in reality, for the purpose of messing with our bodies and minds.

I drive on the interstate and see millions of acres of open lush land all the time. Only liars claim there ain't enough space or enough potential for real food.

This is just another one of the many ways that the elite jerks want to enslave the people.

How can people fall for this stuff?

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

I drive on the interstate and see millions of acres of open lush land all the time. Only liars claim there ain't enough space or enough potential for real food.

you see millions of acres? You might see a lot, but you'd have to drive A LOT of the states to see millions of acres of open lush farmable land. Are you a trucker?

In addition, merely converting open land to farm land is not an easy process, nor is the environmental implications of the transition.

THAT SAID- there is no real food shortage. It's a myth.

BUT, i agree that the era of cheap food should end. Cheap food (or cheap goods of any kind) contributes to over-consumption, over-population, and forces small farmers to sell out to major corporations who are the only ones able to make a profit with such low returns (and even then often only with the help of government subsidies.

Food is kept articifically cheap by government subsidies of food products, as well as major pieces of the production and transportation like fuel. If the 'market' where to price food, it would be MUCH higher than it is today.

And i argue this would be better for people's health, better for the planet, and better for our society as a whole.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If we want to feed all the world in the future we would need to all live on farms instead of cities or there will probably be hungry people left over. This problem could be reduced if only more people adopt instead of create their own child.

edit on 22-9-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
If we want to feed all the world we need to all live on farms instead of cities or there will probably be hungry people left over. This problem could be reduced if only more people adopt instead of create their own child.

Food can be produced in cities. if we all lived on farms, we would only be contributing to sprawl and rural development. If everyone lived on a farm, there would be no countryside any more.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Originally posted by TarzanBeta

you see millions of acres? You might see a lot, but you'd have to drive A LOT of the states to see millions of acres of open lush farmable land. Are you a trucker?

In addition, merely converting open land to farm land is not an easy process, nor is the environmental implications of the transition.

THAT SAID- there is no real food shortage. It's a myth.

BUT, i agree that the era of cheap food should end. Cheap food (or cheap goods of any kind) contributes to over-consumption, over-population, and forces small farmers to sell out to major corporations who are the only ones able to make a profit with such low returns (and even then often only with the help of government subsidies.

Food is kept articifically cheap by government subsidies of food products, as well as major pieces of the production and transportation like fuel. If the 'market' where to price food, it would be MUCH higher than it is today.

And i argue this would be better for people's health, better for the planet, and better for our society as a whole.

You do realize that an acre isn't that big right?

I have driven back and forth between New York and Tennessee multiple times, but I am not a trucker.

And it sounds like you're just like all the talking heads on TV. Blah blah blah.

The fact is that if you want something to get done, it'll get done. If you want food, you can grow it. It is not difficult.

If I am not mistaken, farming is the second oldest job next to herding. It ain't hard.

You can complain about what soils do what in what environments... so what? Figure it out! It doesn't matter! Food is food, we gotta eat.

Forget this the market plays with food prices nonsense - certainly throw that overpopulation crap out the window.

If you live in a big city and you think it's crowded, get out. But don't start sayin the world is overpopulated because you see thousands of people a day. People are slow, they congregate to make themselves feel like they're not alone or bored...

All these myths from all these people who claim to know so much. What in the world is a paid education these days? IT's a brown paper bag burning on my door-step.

I know! It's because y'all are eating too much frozen foods and store-bought fruits. Hmm...preservatives and pesticides. Gotta love em.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TarzanBeta

Why did you quote my response? Your post does not seem related to mine at all beyond the critique of an acre. And yes, i farm three at the moment. I am keenly aware of its size.

We dont need more farms. We have plenty. We need a different kind of farming.

edit on 22-9-2010 by justadood because: spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The food supply only dwindles because nobody is growing. I live in an urban environment now but I used to live in the country, with a big back yard and plenty of sunshine and rain to grow plants. We had tomatos, cucumbers, peapods, morning glories, radishes, jalepenos, all sorts of stuff. It was great and it was organic and we grew it ourselves.

You want to know if cheap food has ended? NO! absolutely not! nothing has changed except perception. They are creating false scarcity to raise prices. Price fixing. It's a SCAM.

Giant agrobusiness like monsanto grows millions of rows of corn at a time. genetically modified to be pest free and fungus resistant. They grow tons of it using giant farm machinery all at once and then they ship it long long distances for it to wind up in your grocery store. The farmland costs money. The giant machinery costs money. The fertilizers and pesticides cost money. Shipping in trucks costs more money. It's expensive business.

Imagine the cost savings if you just grow it at your home using your own water, your own fertilizer, make compost so you have your own home made nutrient rich soil. Plus you KNOW it is safe to eat and organic. You will KNOW it hasn't been tampered with.

All that has changed is public perception. Historically if you really look, it's only the people who can grow their own food and get their own clean water, who survive the worst times, and lemme tell you, This is one of those times.

Use this greatest of economic depressions, to inspire you to become the self-sufficient farmer you were always meant to be. We aren't meant to be drones in an office cubicle, typing up GPS reports. Modern society is a perversion of everything that we have ever stood for. So take a stand! Stand up and resist!

resistance isn't about revolution against your opressor, resistance is about freeing yourself from their evil and corrupt system by becoming self sufficient! You win when you don't need them anymore. They only exist because they have convinced us that we need them and they have been doing it for so long and they are so good at tricking us now that we actually believe it but dammit these people are just middle men. They don't do a damn thing to make the world a better place. Only you can make the world better for you, and your children.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
No it is not ending

It's already over

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
yes.

went to the supermarket here in NZ.
the other day.

brought usual 80$ worth of groceries for the week.
2 portions of meat cost me 28$
prices have gone up. and wages and handouts stay the same

gst rise here 2 weeks away.

my mate brought 100$ woth of groceries. it all fit in 1 bag.
LOL

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ashyr
yes.

went to the supermarket here in NZ.
the other day.

brought usual 80$ worth of groceries for the week.
2 portions of meat cost me 28$
prices have gone up. and wages and handouts stay the same

gst rise here 2 weeks away.

my mate brought 100$ woth of groceries. it all fit in 1 bag.
LOL

One of the reasons prices are going up is because gasoline has gone up. Truck drivers have to pay more to bring the food to the stories. Corporations are charging more because they can. Cost of living is going up so store employees need to be paid more. ETC.

There is no real food shortage.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
actually thats not true

ive heard that one a million times

its in MONEY

sales.

internal produce being brought overseas
we export 80% of our top quality goods overseas

the same time at the supermarket
the food selection remained the same
it just seemed there was less on the shelf

there was only 2 chicken breast portions for me to buy.
normally there is at least 8 or 10.

were talking large supermarket chain.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Farming is not hard to understand. It is hard physically, and if you don't have some of the resources needed...money or land when you begin, it is challenging. Most farmers I know took over their parent's operation.

The average age of a farmer is about 59. That doesn't bode well for future crop production in the US. Further, there is always a rising tide of laws and regulations which drive people out of the business before they even enter it. The EPA is even considering legislation to punsih farmers for stirring up too much dust....really.

These things plus rising costrs are killing off the American Farmer. How can you be an independent producer of pork when it costs you more to raise the hogs than what you can seel them for... beef too.?... You have to keep your costs below those of food importers...aka Mexico, China, EU.

By becoming a small farmer.... that's how.Grow your own food... sell any excess at the flea mkt, local farmer's mkt, Craigslist.

It is hard work to grow food on that scale...takes commitment everyday...that is why so many don't do it. It is not convenient nor easy. But the rewards are great...nutritious... and cheap.

Although we have 50 acres, we actively work only about 5 acres... we raise meat goats, chickens, have a few hogs, and a monster garden...which is the sorriest garden i have ever had due to dry weather...it happens on occassion...LOL... getting ready to fix me some raised beds with a little homegrown irrigation using buckets and lake water.

Speaking of farming and commitment and food...time to feed the animals...daylights a wastin'.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Farming is not hard to understand. It is hard physically, and if you don't have some of the resources needed...money or land when you begin, it is challenging. Most farmers I know took over their parent's operation.

The average age of a farmer is about 59. That doesn't bode well for future crop production in the US. Further, there is always a rising tide of laws and regulations which drive people out of the business before they even enter it. The EPA is even considering legislation to punsih farmers for stirring up too much dust....really.

These things plus rising costrs are killing off the American Farmer. How can you be an independent producer of pork when it costs you more to raise the hogs than what you can seel them for... beef too.?... You have to keep your costs below those of food importers...aka Mexico, China, EU.

By becoming a small farmer.... that's how.Grow your own food... sell any excess at the flea mkt, local farmer's mkt, Craigslist.

It is hard work to grow food on that scale...takes commitment everyday...that is why so many don't do it. It is not convenient nor easy. But the rewards are great...nutritious... and cheap.

Although we have 50 acres, we actively work only about 5 acres... we raise meat goats, chickens, have a few hogs, and a monster garden...which is the sorriest garden i have ever had due to dry weather...it happens on occassion...LOL... getting ready to fix me some raised beds with a little homegrown irrigation using buckets and lake water.

Speaking of farming and commitment and food...time to feed the animals...daylights a wastin'.

Me too, I live in the country and moved from the city 3 years ago we are growing our own food too... its better than store bought... I will put my jams and fruits up against anything at the store... mmmmm tasty

.... I noticed at a "box large product store" that there are lots of "click and pull carts" ready to be picked up from purchases on line... lots of beans, rice and basic supplies.My point is...people are stocking up on supplies... please do this too for your family fast before stores are wiped out again... remember a hurricane (if you have them in your town) our city shelves are completly empty for hundreds of miles at only the threat of bad weather... and its getting worse...

if people in the city just change what they eat. We have purchased and grown basic foods.. vegetables/fruits/ rice beans cornmeal flour grow our own chickens and beef too....

if city folks wanted, they can start a small garden and exchange food with neighbors... (for example, I trade eggs for vegetables and fruits and honey from local farmers) here are some ideas that might work for some city folks.....

1) trade your skills with local farmers/co-ops for food- many small time ranchers may need your skills. Put an ad in craigs list or the local paper and see what happens!
2) grow a garden in your back yard and trade with neighbors
3) change your eating habits from microwave meals to real food! it will cut your food costs by 50% or more
4) cook ahead...I'll say it again COOK AHEAD! You can get a "food saver" shrink wrap machine and cook large meals in advance then freeze small portions... believe it or not.... its almost as fast to make 2 gallons of spaghetti sauce as it is 1 liter/quart... if you do cook ahead for every meal in no time, your freezer is FULL of great foods for your family is whatever size portions you need. By the way... We have meals for up to a year in our freezer...( Yes we are getting a generator solar powered if possible ASAP)
5) share the cost of beef with friends and neighbors. Go to a beef processing facility or an auction and BUY A WHOLE COW.. you can get about 500 to 1000 lbs on average and share the cost with friends and neighbors... there you go! meat for the whole year. (you pay for processing and pick up the meat about 1 week later)
6) buy "loss leaders" spend your day shopping for specials that get you in the door.. then leave and go to the next store. Look for coupons.
7) Look for "cost per ounce" or serving... it will surprise you. its NOT the largest box on the shelf.
8) Make recipes from low cost products.... get creative) they are real tasty and filling... (beans rices vegetables fruits and salads)

new topics

top topics

join