It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
So much money is wasted on diets--billions a year...
Diet books with thousands of words...
All wasted...

There is only ONE way to lose weight. Eat less than your body needs.
Metabolism doesn't matter. If your metabolism slows down, then you eat
even less.

No obese person has ever starved to death....

edit on 23-9-2010 by rival because: I dropped my bacon and cream cheese sandwich

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

I still don't know why the hell you think I'm making excuses.

People SHOULD exercise to improve cardiovascular health and insulin sensitivity, which will lead to fat loss. And people should eat healthily. BUT, exercising and dieting to maintain a caloric deficit is, by all means, meaningless and ineffective.

Raise your hand if you simply read the title of this thread and disregarded the entirety of the post itself......

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

LOLs....no, but plenty of animal models have. Obese zucker rats have starved to death in lab studies with their entire fat mass intact.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhistpunk
Yeah you knowledge is outstanding dorian yates and muscular developent.Skim over those in a tv mag.

Not as outstanding as your spelling my friend

Ever heard of Jay Cutler, Dexter Jackson, Flex Wheeler, Lee Priest? No...?

Like I said, I'm waiting to see your pictures muscle man, your supreme knowledge must have enabled you to build a fantastic body.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
reply to post by rival

LOLs....no, but plenty of animal models have. Obese zucker rats have starved to death in lab studies with their entire fat mass intact.

Source?

Thats impossible because your body technically eats itself before you die from starvation!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I only read the first two pages of this thread. I disagree with the thread title from personal experience (secondhand, several friends struggling with obesity), though I know little about the science of it. I don't really dispute the analysis in the OP, but I do dispute the assertion that diet and exercise are meaningless.

It seems that what works best in the diet/exercise realm is a permanent lifestyle change. And it would make sense that even fat cells require energy to maintain them, meaning that the fatter you are, the more you will need to eat to maintain equilibrium. Reducing your diet will, at first, result in hunger as you are suddenly not receiving enough food to maintain your current weight. However, standing your ground and sticking to the diet until your weight settles on a new equilibrium means you will eventually stop feeling hungry at that level of consumption, because equilibrium is re-established. Your reduced diet becomes the new amount of intake needed to sustain your current weight.

Then if that weight is still not low enough for you, repeat the process of slightly reducing your daily intake. One woman I know has had success with repeated application of this method.

Of course fad diets don't work, because once you're done you go back to your original level of intake, which corresponds to your old equilibrium weight, and surprise, you're right back up to that weight again. It must be a permanent lifestyle change because a given level of intake (exercise and other factors being equal) corresponds to a given weight.

I don't mean to be (too) snarky, but I wonder how many kids in Ethiopia just can't seem to lose weight because they have an insulin problem.

edit on 23-9-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

link   
People are ignorant of what really causes weight gain and weight loss, a lot of myths floating around.

"Cardio" does NOT do it. Large muscle activity DOES.

Watching CALORIC intake is what matters. Not 'fat', not 'carbs', not 'sugars'.

Eating small meals 4 or 5 times a day and reaching the weight loss zone for caloric intake. (average sized male that would be around 1600-1800 calories a day) to get in the fat burning zone.

You also need to eat like a pig about once every 7 days when you're reducing calories, or else your body goes into starvation mode. I've seen my body jump into faster fat burning mode after a day of eating burgers and fries and ice cream.

Adding foods high in Monounsaturated Fat helps burn belly fat faster.

Alcohol does NOT make people fat, but it's what it turns into from your Kidneys that does. Your kidneys convert it into a chemical called ACETATE. The ACETATE stops all fat burning. It turns on a switch in your body that shuts the process down for sometimes HOURS after just one drink.

Drink a few beers, you shut down fat burning for 6-8 hours. Do this every day, and that's why you get a beer belly, because your body is in a self created hybernation mode. it's not the calories in it, it's not the 'sugars' themselves.

Finally, you should be working out major muscle groups to get the last remains of belly fat off and fat in stubborn areas. I suggest a 'boot camp' style program or something called P90X. Targeted muscle groups don't do it. Treadmills don't do it or do it very poorly. Large muscle group based workouts can increase metabolism for days, when cardio exercises only boost fat burning for hours. Even LONG periods of jogging are wasted effort compared to an all out blast for 30 minutes of muscle training.

I lost nearly 30 pounds recently and I am in the best shape I've been in over a decade and I maintain my weight with the simple caloric rules I described above.

Look at EVERYTHING you eat for it's caloric value, even a bottled drink. Sometimes those are the worst with hidden calories. You can lose weight without major exercise just by adjusting caloric intake.

edit on 23-9-2010 by Prove_It_NOW because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by tommyb0y
Source?

Thats impossible because your body technically eats itself before you die from starvation!

That is correct, once your body has processed energy from it's fat stores and used them all it then starts to metabolize protein from the bodies muscles for energy.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Yeah you knowledge is outstanding dorian yates and muscular developent.Skim over those in a tv mag.

Not as outstanding as your spelling my friend

Ever heard of Jay Cutler, Dexter Jackson, Flex Wheeler, Lee Priest? No...?

Like I said, I'm waiting to see your pictures muscle man, your supreme knowledge must have enabled you to build a fantastic body.

Show me your pics.What exaclty have you added to this thread apart from outstanding ignorance silly little goth.
Oh no thats right you stated that cancer causing processed breads and pastas are good for you.

edit on 23-9-2010 by buddhistpunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a really good way to lose weight is to eat a little less and a little more healthy, and get off your big disgusting fat butt and do a little exercise.. i eat a lot of fast food and bad crap but i still weigh 160 because i walk over ten miles a week. this seems to be a pretty good weight loss tool. sorry but buying dumb expensive diet books and the crappy food they try to sell you along with it isn't going to help you. you got to take the old fashioned approach to weight loss by not being such a fat gross slob.

link   

Originally posted by rival
All wasted...

even less.

edit on 23-9-2010 by rival because: I dropped my bacon and cream cheese sandwich

This is false. People have starved to death on a diet of calorie surplus due to nutrient deficiencies.

link   

Just so it's clear: Although my anecdotes really mean nothing in this context, I've personally worked with individuals that eat 1 meal a day and consume less than their basal metabolic rate and yet they were quite corpulent (of course, sodas were involved). Many of the guys that I've played basketball with at the gym for the past 5 years were overfat. I'm talking about playing basketball for at least 2 hours, intermittently, 4-6 days a week. And still fat.

Funny you say that, becasue that happened to me as I was playing Australian rules footy. For those that dont know about it, its a really high intensity contact sport. We cover large amounts of ground (the top players cover up to 30km's a game), and combine that with the hot climate, one should lose weight.....theoretically

Thats not the case. While playing, I still put on 10kg's in 2 years. Due to a serious shoulder injury, which ended me halfway through last season, and forced me to miss the entire season this year, I subsequently put on another 10kg's in a year and a half.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Prove_It_NOW

Drinking a few beers does not shut down fat burning for 3-4 hours go to www.leangains.com and read the research done on it. A few beers only reduces testosterone by around 5%, for a few hours which is really not worth worrying about. However, 12 beers can reduce testosterone alot more (i think 30-40%) but for 16 hours.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kbm12345

Drinking a few beers does not shut down fat burning for 3-4 hours go to www.leangains.com and read the research done on it. A few beers only reduces testosterone by around 5%, for a few hours which is really not worth worrying about. However, 12 beers can reduce testosterone alot more (i think 30-40%) but for 16 hours.

The key is the Acetate, and the latest research shows the acetate slows the body down through varying degress for HOURS, even a few beers. A night of drinking out with friends a few times a week can greatly decrease the fat burning process.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mav3rick

Originally posted by rival
All wasted...

even less.

This is false. People have starved to death on a diet of calorie surplus due to nutrient deficiencies.

Then technically didn't starve to death. They died from nutrient deficiencies...But regardless
if you've got a source or example I'd be interested. Since I can't prove a negative, I'll need some
evidence before I recant.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
You have got to be kidding me. I think this site topic needs to be removed. I can't even read all of it. I can start exercising an hour every week and lose weight. I could also decrease how much I eat and still lose weight. If I decrease food and exercise 1 hour/ week I would lose even more. I think what you may be getting is lifestyle change. You have to keep it up or you will just go through the endless cycle of gain and loss that happens to so many people. Including myself, I hate to admit it but its' true. The way our society is you have to work your tail off to get anywhere and so you don't have time to eat correctly to take care of yourself. If you have family, a job, school you have no time whatsoever. Heck to most Work and family are enough to keep that vicious cycle going.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Look, I understand how counter intuitive this seems. But when you look at how fat is metabolized and you compare that physiological knowledge to observational studies

Overweight people are eating so much because they're over-fat, not the other way around.

Why do obesity experts routinely admit that their methods just don't seem to work long-term?

Why do marathon runners, who train daily, still retain fat?

Why doesn't excessive eating cause vertical growth?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Go to leangains.com and read up on his research, it differs to what you say.. He is one of my favourite people to read in regards to nutirion and his personal change is nothing short of inspirational.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Look, I understand how counter intuitive this seems. But when you look at how fat is metabolized and you compare that physiological knowledge to observational studies

Overweight people are eating so much because they're over-fat, not the other way around.

Why do obesity experts routinely admit that their methods just don't seem to work long-term?

Why do marathon runners, who train daily, still retain fat?

Why doesn't excessive eating cause vertical growth?

Go look at all the people at the gym doing 'cardio' hours a day and still fat. All the women at the YMCA who swim endless miles....still FAT. All the treadmill joggers and elliptical bike people.....STILL FAT.

Why? Because 'cardio' SUCKS for fat loss. Cardio is the most mythical way to lose weight and the most recent studies have proved it.

Large muscle groups + reduced caloric intake = effective

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Show me your pics.What exaclty have you added to this thread apart from outstanding ignorance silly little goth.
Oh no thats right you stated that cancer causing processed breads and pastas are good for you.

I'm not the one proclaiming to be the muscle man mate.

Now bread and pasta cause cancer?

Seriously, your a joke. By the way it's exactly...

I've never been called a goth before

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join