It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by raivo
i have lost about 20kg in past 5 moths by exercising & eating healthy so saying that these things do not help sounds in my point of view loads of crap. And i don't even have to starve myself i just don't eat candy, drink sodas etc. really easy!

Easy for YOU. Please don't assume that because you cut out soda and candy and lost weight means that this is true for every single body out there. I don't remember the last time I drank soda. I had a bite of candy about two weeks ago, don't recall the time before that. No sugar, no soy, no corn... last night's dinner was a salad of mixed greens and bean soup, no dressing. Breakfast was 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1/4 cup of milk. Water to drink. Lunch will be 1/4 almonds, 2 cups of carrots (1 cup as snacks), half banana and green tea. Chicken and mixed greens tonight for dinner. Walking for thirty minutes 4 days a week.

This lifestyle makes me gain weight. So please don't insult me by saying that what worked for you should be working for everyone.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Great thread! It's good to see this information getting out there. I avoid carbs like the plague! Not only do they spike insulin, they are addictive to many people.

I believe that the pharmaceutical companies WANT people to be fat because it's good business for them. In conjunction with lobbyists and certain factions in the AMA and other governmental agencies, they give us the message to stay away from fat and protein and eat carbs (fruits, vegetables, grains) which, when you think about it, paleolithic man had no chance of eating!

This Simple Video is actually an advertisement, but the first part explains the body's response to carbs very well without technical jargon.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

try eating 5 small meals a day if you are only eating 3, also if possible, walk for an hour instead of only 30 minutes and/or do some weight lifting or some other exercise, because I dont think 30 minutes of walking 4 times a week is enough.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I do not care what any doctor or nutritionist says but walking for 30 minutes, 4 times a week is simply not enough! Us humans are designed to move around more than 120 minutes a week.

120 minutes walking is burning about 400 calories, give or take! There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat! Do you see now why you are not losing weight? To burn a pound of fat you should be walking for 1050 minutes or 17.5 hours! However if you go running for 1 hour every day you will burn 3500 calories, exactly a pound of wobbly fat every week, Put some effort in!

This is the problem you see, nobody is educated on the subject!

edit on 23-9-2010 by tommyb0y because: xtra education

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Wow, never have I heard so much bullsh*t in my life so many misinformed people, fat people are fat because they eat to much food end of story. Unless they are suffering a medical condition, which I would say 99% of fat people are not, then there is no excuse for being fat. Stop trying to pin the obesity problems on miscellaneous causes, when we all know its the fact that our current society is obsessed with McDonalds, KFC etc. No wonder the fitness industry is such a joke and no one really knows how to lose weight, when you have clowns like OP feeding society this ridiculous information.

If any one in this thread actually wants to lose weight it is very simple, work out your daily BMR, subtract 500 calories and you should lose a pound a week. It is that simple. If bodybuilders can do this to get down to 5% bf, an overweight person should be able to do this easily to get into a health weight range. However, most people wont bother with this because they are lazy, and by reading OP's garbage, it will make them feel better about themselves and gives them an excuse for being fat.

FAT PEOPLE IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT FOR BEING FAT. Watch what you eat and exercise. Stop coming up with stupid excuses and being lazy.

Geez, this makes me mad.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
So the question now is how to regulate insulin. As someone else mentioned, insulin is directly related the regulation of blood-sugar levels. Thus, a higher degree of blood sugar results in higher insulin discharge and thus as you say obesity. The rationale would then be to find low GI foods such as oatmeal to replace a high-fructose corn syrup with pancakes, jam, and honey breakfast. Basically, less raw sugar.

I'll tell you that you've hit the nail on the head.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Nonchalant

That is because refined sugar use was not widespread. It was not until the advent of adding refined sugar to the American diet did the US experience their first heart attack. Since then, with more and more processed and refined foods, in particular sugar and wheat, did we experience obesity and death from obesity.

Processed wheat and sugar are like poisons in the systems of some, sparking insulin resistance where the cells are literally, as stated in the OP, starving. The body has stored fat that it cannot access. The starving cells cause severe hunger. People that are unaware and follow the Food Pyramid that has been pushed in the US, load up on grains and carbs.

This has the effect of temporarily sating hunger, but it is short lived. Once the insulin and blood sugar spikes settle back to normal levels, and in fact the glucose drops to severe lows after a spike, hunger once again returns with a vengeance. This creates a vicous cycle of hunger and cell starvation that when followed, only increases obesity. The insulin resitant cells cannot access the sugar in the blood that carbs turn into, and simply stores it as fat.

The whole idea behind the Atkin's Diet is to reduce the insulin resistance to the cells, and to replace carbohydrate metabolism with ketotic metabolism. The only was to do that and to keep a stable diet is to drastically reduce carb intake to a very low point and totally remove sugar from the diet.

White bread turns into sugar. Potatoes turn into sugar.Pastas turn into sugar. There are no benefits in eating starches and sugars, and in fact the Food Pyramid should actually be reversed. There is also a lot of controversy concerning refined foods, especially the white flour and sugar industries, where the Government has been accused on more than one occasion of giving untoward preference to pushing these foods knowing full well the issues they cause with health. It is rather intriguing to look into, and can easily be Googled.

The whole food pyramid we were taught in school is totally out of balance when it comes to grains and carbs, stating we should eat those foods in greater proportions, when most doctors and nutritionists will tell you otherwise.

Even on the ADA website, they state emphatically, "Sugar is ok to eat!"

No, it's NOT. If you have insulin resistance, or full blown diabetes 2, you can reverse the damage by a full avoidance of sugar and refined flours, and low carb from other foods. Fresh foods, especially vegetables, are the filler on your plate. It is not "high protein", it is actually withon government guidelines, and should be based on your weight.

With Atkins, the amount of dietary fat you take in is high because instead of burning carbs, you burn dietary fat for fuel, and the body does not store it if you strictly follow the diet. Carb loading on weekends is a severe no no, because it changes the body right back to a carb burning diet, once again knocking you out of a ketotic diet. The idea is to maintain a stable ketotic diet, and if you eat enough protein, you do not risk losing muscle tissue.

www.scientificpsychic.com...

Even this dietary calculator shows that for a 2000 calorie diet, that 55% should come from grains alone. Most of our grains are refined, but even so, a diabetic will turn that into sugar. IE: fat, unuseable fuel.

It also shows 75 grams of protein. Most people don't eat 75 grams of protein in a week, let alone per day. This is why they lose muscle tissue when they starve themselves using sugars.

lowcarbdiets.about.com...

Beef
•Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
•Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
•Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce
•Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
•Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
•Drumstick – 11 grams
•Wing – 6 grams
•Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams
Fish
•Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
•Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

That is just a small breakdown of some protein content in foods to back up my statement. How can they recommend 75 grams of protein when 55% of the diet is in filling, hunger sating carbs? Not to mention, you eat 55% of your diet in grains, you are going to fall very close to your 2000 calorie a day diet in grains alone!

By knocking out grains/pastas/bread you remove a significant cause of fat depositing, and leave room for fresh vegetables that are low in carbs, more protein to meet your daily requirements, and even some berries and nuts that are lower carb.

If you seriously doubt what poison sugar is to you, along with refined carbohydrates, take the challenge and go one week without. You will experience a detoxification from sugar that you never knew was affecting you. By usually the fourth of fifth day, you are so alive and full of energy, you will feel like a new person, thinking clearer, feeling ten thousand times better, and would most likely only return to your old eating habits out of addiction and temptation.

A low carb diet is hard to adhere to because we are bombarded with those foods in advertising on a daily basis. We all know carbs TASTE good. When you go for 4 years without tasting bread or pizza, it tastes like cake. Hint: Your government WANTS you sick.

On the other hand, strawberries taste like candy. Even tomatoes taste like fruit.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, my HGBA1C was 6.2 I got it down to 5.3 in 4 years, and my lipid panel and cholesterol levels were *excellent*. I dropped over 100 lbs. If you follow Atkin's, the newest book that pushes the veggies, it is the best diet for Insulin resistant/pre and post type II Diabetes and PCOS.

You just have to remember that cheating throws the body out of the ketone burning and right back to carb burning, thus changing your entire metabolism. My Doctor encouraged me to try Atkin's, and has encouraged me to stay on it for 8 years now, and I am totally heart healthy eating olive oil, real butter, heavy cream, meats, eggs, and fruits and veggies.

edit on 23-9-2010 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by socrates271

I regulate my insulin by matching my carbs to protein gram for gram! simple. Both have 4 calories per gram while fat has 9.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Overeating does not cause obesity; obesity causes overeating.

Laziness doesn't lead to obesity; obesity leads to laziness

Active lifestyles don't make you thin; being thin leads to an active lifestyle

What a load of sh*t

After reading this again I need to make another post.

1. Most children that play a lot of sport are skinny
Most children that play no sport are fat.

2. Most people that work out and take the time to count calories are skinny
Most people that are lazy and do not work out and eat rubbish are fat.

I know why you have written this garbage. It is because you yourself are fat and are looking for excuses, I can't think of any reason why someone else would waste ther time writing this crap.

MAD, MAD, MAD never been so mad after reading this sh*t

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alora
Easy for YOU. Please don't assume that because you cut out soda and candy and lost weight means that this is true for every single body out there. I don't remember the last time I drank soda. I had a bite of candy about two weeks ago, don't recall the time before that. No sugar, no soy, no corn... last night's dinner was a salad of mixed greens and bean soup, no dressing. Breakfast was 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1/4 cup of milk. Water to drink. Lunch will be 1/4 almonds, 2 cups of carrots (1 cup as snacks), half banana and green tea. Chicken and mixed greens tonight for dinner. Walking for thirty minutes 4 days a week.

This lifestyle makes me gain weight. So please don't insult me by saying that what worked for you should be working for everyone.

Wrong.

Eating the above foods as you posted would not make anyone gain weight, even if they were that sedentary that they never moved out of bed and all their food was brought to them & even if they were a pure Endomorph (which isn't possible)

You not be losing weight by eating those foods if your already fat and your cardio isn't sufficient enough to burn your fat stores but that diet will definitely not make you gain weight, you need to start looking at what your doing wrong.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Don't be in a hurry to 'get thin. Being thin isn't all that great for ya'. 6 months ago I was a bit pudgy. Then I got very sick (still am). The only thing that has kept me going is living off the pudge. I'm now underweight. It's GOOD for people to have SOME extra poundage. It helps when illness comes. It pads the bones of us folks with osteoperosis too.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kbm12345

Agree with everything you just said, have a star from me

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You are right! If you are happy with how you are then that is fine, who cares and what right has anyone to judge!

The annoying part is when people without a condition start blaming there obesity on a condition when this is blatantly untrue. Its just laziness!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by socrates271
So the question now is how to regulate insulin. As someone else mentioned, insulin is directly related the regulation of blood-sugar levels. Thus, a higher degree of blood sugar results in higher insulin discharge and thus as you say obesity. The rationale would then be to find low GI foods such as oatmeal to replace a high-fructose corn syrup with pancakes, jam, and honey breakfast. Basically, less raw sugar.

I'll tell you that you've hit the nail on the head.

You are very close to exactly right in your statement, except for one thing. Even though oatmeal is low GI, it is not okay to eat with insulin resistance and here is why.

In order to reduce and finally cure insulin resistance, you have to stop provocation of insulin as much as possible. The only way to do that is with almost NO GI.

There is a misconception that low GI is better than all out carbs, buit lets take a look at what low GI really means.

www.glycemicindex.com...

In general, low GI foods act only a bit *slower* on the blood sugar levels, but do indeed cause a spike. This is particularly the case in a full bown Diabetes II person. Also, the carbohydrates themselves cause the body to immediately stop burning ketones for fuel (which is fat) and return to a carbohydrate fuel. This is metablosim changing in a ketotic diet and can wreak havoc on blood sugars.

The keytone diet cause blood sugars to level out, and to remain stable on a nearly continuous basis. Even smaller longer spikes from low GI foods like oatmeal can knock theose sugars right out stability. Basically, even though it is strict, mainting a constant glucose level is much prefered in these types of people than having even long drawn out, albeit smaller spikes.

People that are this insulin resistant really do need to take more drastic measures than others, but, if they feel the need to "cheat" once in a while, while keeping in mind this is a metabolism change, choosing a low GI food is the wisest decision.

And basically NO sugars.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyb0y

Really? Seems logical.

I remember the same measurements, or similar, with oatmeal. I always thought it was a highly balanced food.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Not only is THIS sad news, but my donut bakery is in the HOLE. My ink factory is in the RED. But. my LARD processing plant is showing FAT PROFITS!
Oh, well.............

Please join me in remembering a great icon of the entertainment community. The
Pillsbury Doughboy died yesterday of a yeast infection and trauma complications from repeated
pokes in the belly. He was 71. Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin.

Dozens of celebrities turned out to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth,
Hungry Jack, the California Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain
Crunch. The grave site was piled high with flours.

Aunt Jemima delivered the eulogy and lovingly described Doughboy as a man who
never knew how much he was kneaded. Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but
his later life was filled with turnovers. He was considered a very smart cookie,
but wasted much of his dough on half-baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky
at times, he still was a crusty old man and was considered a positive roll model
for millions.

Doughboy is survived by his wife, Play dough, three children: John Dough, Jane
Dough and Dosey Dough, plus they had one in the oven. He is also survived by his
elderly father, Pop tart.

The funeral was held at 3:50 for about 20 minutes.

If this made you smile for even a brief second, please rise to the occasion and
take time to pass it on and share that smile with someone else who may be having
a crumby day and kneads a lift.

"Life is Fragile, Handle with Prayer"
"A good friend is someone who knows you're a good egg, even if you're a little cracked"
IN GOD WE TRUST

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
wow, this is a great thread! awesome job, op, very well written and thought out.

2 weeks ago i began cutting sugars/breads/pastas from my diet and i feel fantastic. its hard, because being italian, i love bread and pasta, but now i treat carbs like poison.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kbm12345

weight.insulitelabs.com...

Insulin resistance creates increased levels of insulin and glucose in the blood stream, which is a major underlying cause of excess weight and obesity and their links to several other major disorders.

Combating these conditions is crucial for heart disease prevention because rnsulin resistance, excess weight and obesity may increase the risk of developing metabolic syndrome (syndrome x). This latter ailment can damage the cardiovascular system, specifically the lining of the arteries, as well as creating a greater risk of blood clot formation. The kidneys' ability to remove salt is also affected. All of these factors raise the likelihood of developing Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) leading to a heart attack or stroke.

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in December 2002 found that men with metabolic syndrome were associated with a 2.6 - 3.0 times higher CVD mortality rate and a 1.9 - 2.1 higher all-cause mortality rate (1).

I can say no, you're wrong. Even the AMA says so.

edit on 23-9-2010 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by Alora

Wrong.

Eating the above foods as you posted would not make anyone gain weight, even if they were that sedentary that they never moved out of bed and all their food was brought to them & even if they were a pure Endomorph (which isn't possible)

You not be losing weight by eating those foods if your already fat and your cardio isn't sufficient enough to burn your fat stores but that diet will definitely not make you gain weight, you need to start looking at what your doing wrong.

Wrong.

I worked with a nutritionist for a year. I'll repeat the info in my first post: gynecologist, endocrinologist, holistic doctor, and acupuncturist. All the people I've worked with over the past seven years (since the first miscarriage) or am working with. The common diagnosis is that my endocrine system isn't working properly. Thus the weight gain. Medications did nothing. Cleanse from nutritionist made me bleed heavily for 4 months solid (menstrual cycle didn't end without intervention from acupuncturist). Weight gain of 70 lbs in seven years.

Just wondering...have you ever tried cardio when you've been bleeding rapidly non-stop for several months? If not, then ask me how easy it isn't.

So really? You think walking more and eating less will fix this? Tell me again how I'm doing something wrong, because I don't hear that nearly enough from those around me. Perhaps you can throw a sneer my way, too, like the ones I get when I go shopping. I just don't feel complete without the look of disgust or disappointment, or my personal favorite, shame, being given to me. Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Although not efficient, Protein can be broken down into individual amino acid units which can enter the TCA system and produce ATP as an energy source when no carbs are present, so you will still have insulin spikes whatever you eat!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join