It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP senator reportedly admits anti-gay death threat came from office

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

"A hatred of gays and a lack of IT savvy are likely to add up to unemployment for somebody in Sen. Saxby Chambliss' office,"

"All [gays] must die," wrote the commenter, identifying himself as “Jimmy,” shortly after a Democratic bid to repeal "don’t ask, don’t tell" faltered in the US Senate.

UPI notes Joe.My.God. blogger Joseph Jervis "told the newspaper it didn't take long for his readers to determine the origin of the comment."

"Among the fields in which gay people are over-represented is the IT field," he said.

I don't think the GOP in general is homophobic but apparently there are quite a few vocal anti gay conservatives working for candidates up for election.

Will this garner votes in the Nov. midterms or lose votes for the GOP?

I think it will lose votes for the conservatives because few Gays are republicans besides a few log cabin guys, but if family and friends of gay people become afraid for their gay associates from all the threats coming out of the right wing camp; it could play a role in favor of the progressives.

I personally don't understand the "strategy of hate" coming from the right wing. It's partially responsible for getting Obama elected. The McCain anti everything campaign lost. The Right imo needs to actually propose a positive platform rather than just a "I hate you, vote for me" approach.
The right needs moderates and to scare them away with death threats against homosexuals seems like a losing strategy to this old pundit.

edit on 22-9-2010 by whaaa because: time to reload

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
While I don't really consider that a death threat, I do think he should step down from his posistion.

Part of being a leader is accepting who you are leading. You don't have to like them, but you can't go around saying these types of things. There is a differance between being opposed and being unproductive.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

As a gay person, I'm beginning to find all these stories of GOP anti-gay bigotry a bit suspect. Being conspiracy minded, I'm starting to wonder if I'm supposed to forget all about that Rick Warren fiasco and the President's stance on gay marriage. The Republicans all want to outlaw or kill me? The Democrats are my safe haven?
It feels too orchestrated, too timely, too convenient. I have to question which party will benefit if the Democrats are my only option.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
We do have freedom of speech in this country, but this commentator was making overt death threats. Saxby Chambliss may not be prosecutable if the comment came from one of his staffers, but these remarks cross the line and probably deserve time behind bars for someone.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee

As a gay person, I'm beginning to find all these stories of GOP anti-gay bigotry a bit suspect.

Here's a plan...

Go into any of my local GOP/TPM conclaves and announce you are a gay man. Don't worry, I'll protect you, I'm still a registered Republican and armed.

And conspiracy or not there are segments of the right wing that are homophobic and are making threats. I would bring up the same issue if threats were made against polar bears, Welsh Corgis or kangaroos.

I have to question which party will benefit if the Democrats are my only option.

How in Gods name can under any circumstances; the Democrats be your only option?
Goofy hyperbole...

Log Cabin?

And I noticed that you are a 23 refugee. Is that a cryptic masonic reference?

edit on 22-9-2010 by whaaa because: injected levity

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I apologize if my post sounded confrontational. That wasn't my intent.
Since 23refugee refers to US Route 23 and my Appalachian origins, I can confidently decline your kind offer of protection. Any assumption that I'm unarmed only works in my favor.
I don't doubt that there are serious threats from the right wing, but I'm sure that plenty of fag bashers vote Democrat, of those that do vote.
As for my "goofy hyperbole", I do believe that I am in reality only offered the choice of two parties. There simply isn't a viable third party, as evidenced by your contraction of GOP/TPM .
Even though I'm not part of the Log Cabin, I just don't think that the GOP would have that much to gain by embracing those who issue death threats.
I agree it sounds goofy, but I can't help feeling that I'm being ushered back into the fold because I have no where else to go but the Democrat Party..

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I agree it sounds goofy, but I can't help feeling that I'm being ushered back into the fold because I have no where else to go but the Democrat Party..

I have said it before and I will say it again. Ef the "fold" ef the "flock". You owe allegiance to no party...politicians of any leaning still work for the PEOPLE.

Take it to them when you disagree...and when they are fighting your fight...man-up, jump in and throw some punches. Bashing who you are is a pillar of social conservatism right now and the social conservatives rule the party at present. You are free to declare yourself GOP or Dem or Ind. ...but for god's sake fight for what you believe in whatever banner you wave.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Thanks for your support as always. Telling a gay guy to man-up might be considered a bit insensitive by some, though.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Thanks for your support as always. Telling a gay guy to man-up might be considered a bit insensitive by some, though.

Yah....I thought about it for a mili-second, but I have met some pretty tough gay guys. I thought it was better to run with my first thought rather than over-think it and try something that would be more offensive like "hike up your skirt".

I have found in my interactions that being overly-careful with my choice of words is in itself discrimanatory at times...it interjects "you are different than other people and I will talk to you as if you are" into the conversation even if the intent is to be polite. It mucks up honest conversation and is counter-productive. Contrary to popular rhetoric, not all liberals are political correctness Nazi's.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

We've conversed enough for me to know that you're aware that I was not offended in the least. I only noticed because I've made a hobby of starring you when administer much deserved spankings to the politcally incorrect. It may just be good manners, but you must admit, while certainly not a Nazi, you set the PC bar higher than most.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

We've conversed enough for me to know that you're aware that I was not offended in the least. I only noticed because I've made a hobby of starring you when administer much deserved spankings to the politcally incorrect. It may just be good manners, but you must admit, while certainly not a Nazi, you set the PC bar higher than most.

Maybe...I remind myself to judge context and character over words...because that is how I wish to be judged.

Thanks for the reminder and I will remember this post next time I am about to pounce on someone...For my part (most times) I do my best to sort out the politically incorrect from those idealogically committed to intolerance.

new topics

top topics

join