It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetosphere getting slammed RIGHT NOW!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

please comment on this current situation.

www2.nict.go.jp...

hmmm................................

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Well if I knew what I was looking at I would ask the same question

What exactly am I looking at? Can you maybe explain where it's getting slammed and what it normally looks like. I am unfamiliar with this. Thanks.

edit on 9/20/2010 by mblahnikluver because: spelling error

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I to am corn-fused. Is this a solar storm???

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
: np

NOW

NORMAL

im not totally sure myself, i seen it and thought id post it, since our magnetosphere is getting hit by solar winds... or storm, whatever you wanna call it..... somebody will come in here in a minute and explain everything im sure

edit on 20-9-2010 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The solar wind expands out in all directions from the sun, and part of it comes towards the earth. When it gets to the magnetosphere, the magnetic field in the wind pushes against the magnetic field of the earth - it's a bit like trying to push two magnets against each other. Because the particles are tied to the magnetic field lines in both the solar wind and the magnetosphere, they do not mix, so the magnetosphere diverts the solar wind around it, a bit like a stone in a river. The boundary between the earth's magnetosphere and the solar wind is known as the magnetopause. The magnetosphere facing the sun gets squashed, and the solar wind flowing around the edge of the magnetosphere drags it backwards to form an extended region called the magnetotail.

The solar wind pushes steadily against the magnetosphere, however the surface of the sun is a very turbulent and changable place, which can cause rapid changes in the solar wind. These changes in the solar wind disturb the magnetosphere and can cause both the injection of energetic particles into near-earth space, and the generation of huge atmospheric currents amounting to millions of amps. For example, in coronal holes near the equator of the sun, fast-flowing material spills out from the sun. If the hole is pointing towards the earth, then we will see the effect a bit like a gust of wind. A second, and more dramatic event is a coronal mass ejection or CME. Complex magnetic fields on the surface of the sun can erupt and send a large, fast-moving mass of plasma out from the sun and into space. CMEs typically contain billions of tons of material and travel at around 2 million miles per hour! If the earth happens to be in the way, then the magnetosphere will feel the effect as the CME runs into it. Following the arrival of a CME, a disturbance in space called a geomagnetic storm can be triggered. These geomagnetic storms cause intense auroral displays which are sometimes visible from the UK.

i believe this is what they predict to happen in 2012 but on a much larger scale, which will ffy all of our electrical grids

edit on 20-9-2010 by Itop1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2010 by Itop1 because: spelling mistakes

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I dont see any up dates on any large CME's, class M and X. Ill keep looking

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'm not too savvy on sun issues, but isn't this a fairly frequent occurrence? I don't think you have to grab your BOB quite yet...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
But isnt this normal, one day the Magnetosphere takes a battering, then the next it returns to normal?.. Or do you know something we dont?..

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by hhcore
I'm not too savvy on sun issues, but isn't this a fairly frequent occurrence? I don't think you have to grab your BOB quite yet...

hahaha, i dont know but im assuming this is how it all starts, when we get hit with the real deal out magnetosphere will light up like a christmas tree

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
phaging phage

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
The sun is fairly quiet right now with just two earth-facing sunspots, 1106 and 1108. 1108 has a low chance of M-class solar flares right now.

We are expecting some Northern Lights over the next few days when solar wind comes in contact with the Earth around the 21st or 22nd.

www.solarcycle24.com...

Prepared jointly by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA,
Space Weather Prediction Center and the U.S. Air Force.
Updated 2010 Sep 19 2201 UTC

Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity
SDF Number 262 Issued at 2200Z on 19 Sep 2010

IA. Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from 18/2100Z
to 19/2100Z: Solar activity was very low with only B-class activity
observed. Region 1106 (S20W34) and Region 1108 (S30E36) exhibited
little change during the period.

IB. Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be
predominately very low. A chance of C-class activity, with a slight
chance of M-class activity, is possible for the next three days (20
- 22 September).

IIA. Geophysical Activity Summary 18/2100Z to 19/2100Z:
The geomagnetic field was quiet.

IIB. Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is
expected to be quiet for day one (20 September). Quiet to unsettled
levels, with isolated active periods, are expected on day two (21
September). Mostly unsettled, with isolated active to minor storm
levels, are expected on day three (22 September). The increase in
activity is due to a large, recurrent coronal hole high speed
stream.

and also:

spaceweather.com...

NOAA Forecasts

Updated at: 2010 Sep 19 2201 UTC
FLARE 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
CLASS M 10 % 10 %
CLASS X 01 % 01 %

Geomagnetic Storms:
Probabilities for significant disturbances in Earth's magnetic field are given for three activity levels: active, minor storm, severe storm
Updated at: 2010 Sep 19 2201 UTC
Mid-latitudes 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
ACTIVE 10 % 20 %
MINOR 01 % 01 %
SEVERE 01 % 01 %

High latitudes 0-24 hr 24-48 hr
ACTIVE 15 % 25 %
MINOR 01 % 05 %
SEVERE 01 % 01 %

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Oh man... I hope no one introduces gravity into this discussion and tries to assert that gravity and electromagnetism are the same thing like in the NASA discovery thread from this morning...

But anyway, is this abnormal? Is it related to some recent flare?

edit on 20/9/10 by 35Foxtrot because: spelling/grammar

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'll post on this because I wrote a similar thread a while back pertaining to the same subject matter.
Here's my thread about the same thing.
Actually, my pictures seem worse...

This is a nice picture of the bombarding our magnetosphere takes every once in a while.
Although it's not normal, per say, it's very common.

If you look back through the archives (recent pictures) you can find similar pictures with the same dramatic results.

Real-time Magnetosphere Site

I'd say it's just another day in space.

Now when we see events taking place that would disrupt or destroy that shield-looking barrier...
Then I'd start to worry.

But by that time, it might be too late.
(Big time electromagntetic interference would disrupt communications, i.e., internet)

Looks like its just the magnetosphere doing it's job.

edit on 20-9-2010 by havok because: added a link to my old thread.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
from what i have been reading up, the solar activity i have reported is nothing to worry about, theres a lot of long complicated words but its not at all hard to understand after reading in to it a bit, when the sun farts, our magnetosphere protects us from its gasses, thats basically what happened but on a very weak/small scale

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Star and Flag!

This was on the mainstream news today in the UK on several channels including both BBC and ITV. They were taking the angle in particular that if electrical systems and satellite communications were destroyed as a result, we could see the breakdown of society. As electrical systems are used even in things like water regulation.

It was a weird news segment, and although a bit fearmongerish (new word there) it was an interesting change from the usual crap. I'll see if I can find the news segment...

Found the channel 4 one although I didn't watch it on there. Here you go;

www.channel4.com...
www.telegraph.co.uk...
www.asianage.com...

edit on 20-9-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: To add linkys

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Itop1

Magnatisim is up the Sun is communicating with the Earth giving it energy. If not noticed solar ejection its the Sun magnetic field charging up so a CME should be on the way MY 3 CENTS...

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I wouldn't be too concerned. The magnetosphere seems to be doing its job and is holding up to the solar wind. If you saw the magnetic sphere being pushed up into the earth from the front, and the top curves bent back touching the poles, then we would be having a major problem.

Fact is, our puny little planet could be obliterated by our sun an any time and there isn't a prayer on earth that would save us.

For now, however, this little rock called Earth seems to be putting up the good fight.

edit on 20-9-2010 by harrytuttle because: grammer

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
We will see in time if this is really the beginning of something we have no real idea about, some of these solar cycles have timespans of millions of years, no one was there when similar things happened before, measuring cycles is like measuring a circle, in this case our observations make it seem as if the curve where a straight line, we will see, in time.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

It's mainstream in the UK? Then that'll mean it'll take a couple days if not weeks before it reaches the US.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by 35Foxtrot
Oh man... I hope no one introduces gravity into this discussion and tries to assert that gravity and electromagnetism are the same thing like in the NASA discovery thread from this morning...

But anyway, is this abnormal? Is it related to some recent flare?

hi there im from that thread and was just about to say the magnetosphere is lackluster because of the suns quietness of late and the two ARE related but because of that statement i wont say it
i beleive the relitive protection we get is sympathetically generated from the very particals the magnetosphere protects us from

not quite the gravity/magnetic thingy

xp

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join