It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conflicting Religious Beliefs -Need imput ATS-

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Never thought Id be writing my own thread, but here it goes.

I have 2 reasons for writing this. Im am generally curious from people of different faith, and Im not gonna lie, I need a hand with something.

Since I was 15 I have been volunteering my summers at a Christian Camp. If any of you are familar with Younglife, thats the organization I gladly would give my time to help. They are a Christian outreach organization for teens and some preteens. I first started going there when I was 15 because they opened a beautiful camp near my town and I had connections. I was not a Christian, and mainly because of the experiences I have had in my life that Christianity could just not explain. 5 years later, and Im still not a Christian but still manage to sneak into camp where everyone has to be Christian to work there. I am completely honest about my own faith, and my own path.

Over the years people have asked me about my beliefs and I acted like my faith was just on par with theirs. Never quite realizing it till now. Ive had many people tell me what I believe is wrong, that doesnt bother me. What bothers me is when I tell them that I feel that I have a relationship with god. For some of them, they don't mind for others they can't see it. How can I have a relationship with God, im not a Christian and I dont believe Jesus is God. Now ATS, I love this place, I love the community. From what Ive told you, that I feel that im spiritual, connected to god and loved by him, would a Christian laugh at me behind my back, and think that what I feel is fake?

Ive never ment to offend or bother anyone by telling them that in particular, but recently I learned I may have. I have a girlfriend who is a Christian and she has been bothered by this fact that I am not. I don't see a issue with it, but our future may lie on this very subject. We care alot for each other so that is not a issue lol. I have very in depth beliefs. Yes I have picked things from every religion, like Im very fond of Hermetic belief system, Buddhism, Christianity, and even Islamic. But over all I believe in one thing, all paths lead to god. God doesnt condemn sinners to hell for eternity, nor does he play favorites. I believe in Love and would love to help a person in need. I dont push my beliefs on anyone and quite often I find myself biting my tongue when being criticized.

I want this to work out with this other person, but I can't seem to find the reasoning behind her problem. I know quite alot about Christianity, and I am not doing anything to offend her. If anyone could help me with these to issues, Christian or not, Id be very grateful.

Thank you

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Uh put in the wrong area, sorry, ment to put it in Philosophy and Metaphysics. If someone could put it where it belongs that would be great thank you.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by scorps

Absolute faith has some strange effects on people. The best advice I can give is to tell her to read the book The Shack and ask her what she thinks. Many people blindly adhere to one belief system, don't be too harsh though. Sometimes people just don't want to hear what they know is true. That they may not be 100% correct.
Wish I was better at living the advice I give.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by scorps

Jesus came not to save the strong, but to save the weak.

If you are strong without Jesus, by His very own words, He didn't come here for you.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by scorps

There are many paths that all lead to the same destination, Christianity is but one of them. Follow your true inner-self at all times, and if it is pure, you will not be mislead.

“Piety requires us to honor truth above our friends.” - Aristotle

edit on 19-9-2010 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by scorps

would a Christian laugh at me behind my back,
and think that what I feel is fake?

I'm not a christian, but if you have a relationship with what you perceive as god, but what you perceive as god is not what they perceive as god...I suspect that many christians would suspect that you have been taken in by the devil. As such, I would guess that the reaction would not be to laugh at you, but to either try to "save" you or to keep you at arms length because you might be dangerous.

I have a girlfriend who is a Christian and she has
been bothered by this fact that I am not.

I don't see a issue with it

Try to imagine perceiving your girlfriend as a fundamentally evil being who has willfully rejected god and will spend eternity in hellfire because of it.

Would you ok with that?

I can't seem to find the reasoning behind her problem.

I know quite alot about Christianity

Really? So you understand that according to christianity you're in league with the devil but you "don't understand" her reasoning for having a problem with that?

Try looking at it from her perspective. Not yours.

edit on 20-9-2010 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the replys. Ive sat there for quite awhile thinking about both questions, and wasnt able to come up with a good enough answer to any of them. Thank you for answering them.

reply to post by LordBucket

Thank you for being so direct.

I understand where you are coming from. And Ive asked her about salvation and it didn't seem to be the entirely a issue (death may be a long time away and my religious future is yet to be determined). I can imagine though that it would bother her that Ive rejected her god in search of my own that may be the workings of another entity. That makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Really? So you understand that according to christianity you're in league with the devil but you "don't understand" her reasoning for having a problem with that?

I do understand her reasoning for that, some Christians will take that into consideration, and some wont. Some Christians blame everything thats bad in the world on the devil, some blame only certain things on the devil. Im not sure how she feels regarding that in particular. That could be the whole issue, Im honestly looking for a way to combat this without attacking her faith or losing her. Its selfish to look past her own needs and I know that, I honestly thought there could be a alternative in a situation like this.

Thank you very much.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by scorps

Why don't you drop the whole "God" thing all together?

This relationship you speak of, is with your own ideals of love.

And yes, according to Christianity if you do not accept that Jesus is/was your savior you WILL burn for eternity in hell. Extreme and endless pain in the darkest pit IF you do not do exactly what "Jesus said".

YOU believe in the ideals of love.
Give yourself credit for that and leave out the "God" thing.

I seriously suggest you steer clear of buying into organized religion if you ever want learn more about this world, and what's beyond. You see organized religion not only controls what you do and who you are in the physical, but the immaterial beyond as well.

edit on 20-9-2010 by Thibotham because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I have a similar story. My husband is Catholic and I am Non Denominational Christian. While we both believe in Jesus and God, there are many differences between our beliefs that at one time were a big issue. We have been married 12 years and have accepted each other's beliefs and there is no issues now.

The biggest was baptism. Being a Catholic, my husband was christened. I, on the other hand, was baptised, full emersion, when I was 13. I have never believed in christening as true baptism, he was offended by me basically telling him that he was not saved. At the time, I thought I was right. 12 years later, I am not so sure.

Even though by Christianity standards, I am the saved one, I don't believe it. I feel my husband is a much better person than I. He is so much more thoughtful, honest, moral and true than I. I feel that if God could only choose one of us, he would choose my husband.

I guess what I am trying to say is that a relationship with God that is pure and true is more meaningful than following the law of the scripture without question.

You have made me question some things that I have long ago put away so I didn't have to deal with them.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have a copy of the Bible, the Quran, and the Baghavad gita. There is only one god, the absolute power from which all universes and lifeforms spring. Those 3 holy books originate from the divine and yet most are blind to this. Different religions squabbling like cats and dogs convinced their religion is the right one. Fact is they're all right. Love god and his creation and you can't go wrong

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Christians will not laugh at you, call you in league with the devil, or keep you at arms lengths. People like LordBucket will first (mis) characterize Christians then critique them using their flawed premise.

Christians should treat you like everyone else. Jesus ate dinner with sinners. He died for sinners, long before they became Christians. Your girlfriend should back away from any intimate relationship with you (marriage) because that is called being unequally yoked.

I believe that if a person is seeking deeper understanding of God they will eventually arrive at biblical Christianity. I believe you can be connected and communicate with God before you become Christian but eventually you must come to the conclusion that Jesus is God, unless you quit looking and become satisfied with your incomplete search. There are a million reasons people quit looking for God halfway through the journey, mostly when they have to give up something they hold dearly like sin, money or friends.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
nobody knows the truth about our reality, what happens after death, what is this place where we are; nobody knows the truth

so, for anyone to believe they do know, is stupidity in my perspective

if you believe you are related to something higher, it may be possible;

but at least I feel that I dont need to relate everything that happens in my life to something I cant explain ... if you want to use your brain and try to figure it out, good for you, you will probably never understand, but, at least, you will be trying to find the truth, instead of just choosing ignorance like so many people do

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by scorps

Thank you for being so direct.

I'm happy to help.

Im not sure how she feels

It's possible that may be more of a problem than religion. Out of curiosity, why are you asking us rather than her? If the two of you are unable to communicate, that would be a problem even if you had identical beliefs about God.

I honestly thought there could be a
alternative in a situation like this.

There may be. But if there is, she'll be better able to explain it to you than strangers on the internet.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 2XOHsurf

See this is what it is like. I for one, dont believe Ive stopped halfway looking for god. I believe that I have found him and continueing to get to know him, also in the process discovered and incredibly complicated system that the bible can not answer. Im quite content with what I believe, no am not a materialist, I do not clog my life up indulging in Sin either.

Regardless, I do believe all paths lead to god. My future is open, I don't know what to expect, maybe one day I will become a Christian, maybe not. Ive asked for a imput simply because ive stumbled when trying to percieve my situation from anothers eyes. I dont wish to offend anyone and just wanted some strangers oppinions.

Thank you for responding,

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by scorps

It's possible that may be more of a problem than religion. Out of curiosity, why are you asking us rather than her? If the two of you are unable to communicate, that would be a problem even if you had identical beliefs about God.

I honestly thought there could be a
alternative in a situation like this.

There may be. But if there is, she'll be better able to explain it to you than strangers on the internet.

I asked a bunch of strangers so I could find people like you to point out the flaws in my theories. Our communication is fine. You are simply giving me question to ask and points of view. Thank you, Ive asked questions but not particular questions. Im looking for a solution to this issue im having and these 'strangers' are helping quite nicely.

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by aimlessly

You said something so incredible. I read your post a few times now and just caught it now.

I guess what I am trying to say is that a relationship with God that is pure and true is more meaningful than following the law of the scripture without question.

This is incredible, it actually made me feel all warm inside. What you said there, helps me in more ways then 1. Thank you for telling me about you and your husband, it gives me hope, thank you very much.

You have made me question some things that I have long ago put away so I didn't have to deal with them.

Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing, but if you don't mind me asking. Do you ever talk about your beliefs anymore or is it a subject better not talked about?

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by scorps

Scorps

I would say make sure the religion you pick has a Saviour because this life is not all that there is to it and you can know that in your inmost soul. The Christian Redeemer was born in a manger as the inns where full and it was no doubt the Feast of Tabernacles and He was born on or about that first day. The Saviour was prophesied by Isa, 53:1-12, you should read that now and then read the 4 gospels. And really to be unequally yoked is not a good idea and usually means much friction that usually gets worse when one or both get very sincere in their beliefs. The Jew don't believe Jesus was He and they are still waiting for their Redeemer, Messiah.

Look for Truth till you find it and don't give up as Truth is looking for you, His name is Jesus, Yahshua.

Truthiron

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Not totally true
I'm a jew and believe in Jesus.
But, I want to add.
I believe what he said about himself in the three gospels, John not included, because
1. it was rejected by the first and second century church
2. because it has the trial and crucifixion at a different time and the last supper and day of execution on a different day (you'd think people would notice that)
Yes the others have some problems, but the stories have meshing timelines etc.
Now to point out
1. Jesus Never claimed to be God and only called himself the son of man in the three
2. He said that until heaven and Earth pass away, we must keep the law, its still here
3. He said whoever keeps law and teaches others to do so will be great in the kingdom of God (that coming thing).
Now through pieces taken out of context, Churchers try to disprove this, sorry, it won't hold water.
I don't care what Paul said, Jesus teachings outweigh Paul who is beneath him.

This Jesus I have no problem with, because following him keeps the law. What church has turned him into breaks the law.
And just a point, Jesus said he would be dead three days and three nights. Count them. Friday he's dead, That would be Monday morning, so the churches reason for moving sabbath to Sunday doesn't hold water either.

The Jesus of the bible said I'm here to bring you back to father. So go to father, that was the point. I hate to tell you this, but your churched girlfriend will not except this. It won't change and no matter how much you love her, it won't work long term. Even in church they will council her to break up with you because you are an unbeliever to them. I'd love to go into it, but let's not hog space.

As the oracle said
I hate to be the bearer of bad news kid, you have a good face.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by shoulda taken the blue pi

I like the way you think. I agree with you about Paul, Im not very fond of his teachings and they lack the strong metaphorical text that say... someone like John had. Dont get me wrong, he still has many great things to teach and there are many different ways to interpret what hes saying. I interpret the bible in a completely different sense then that of a Christian, which leads me to not fully understand them much of the time. Majority of what you've said has crossed my mind at one time or another, I see the bible much like how you described it. Curious though, have your read into Gnosticism? or any other esoteric text regarding Christianity?

Im sorry if that sounds like one big scrambled mess.

Im starting to see the picture, regarding this whole issue. Thanks for the imput.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by scorps

Hello scorps-

I have had issues with christians as well. I told a friend who is a hard core christian that I talk with "god" all the time he didn't believe me and we don't talk much anymore. I don't go to church and feel that you don't need to go to church to believe in "God" (or talk with god)

I think christians are kinda like plato's "Allegory of the Cave" they want you to believe in god but if you say you talk or know him then you are a liar or crazy. So I guess their religion is never finding "God" because they won't believe you if you tell them you know "god". LOL Hypocrites..

<<   2 >>

join