It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State's homeland security chief goes in hiding

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

State's homeland security chief goes in hiding

www.post-gazette.com

James F. Powers Jr. has basically gone underground since Tuesday, when Gov. Ed Rendell denounced a $103,000 no-bid contract that Mr. Powers had given to the Institute of Terrorism Research and Response, which has offices in Philadelphia and Israel.

Mr. Powers, who makes $106,602 a year, hasn't been returning phone calls from the news media this week and was said to be out of his office when a reporter stopped in on Wednesday. He did not return a call to his home and his office turned down a request to interview him.

Read more: www.post-gazette.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
LOL!

Way to fight those 'terrorists' with our tax-payer dollars!

My guess is that these types of nefarious activities and shady underground activities are RIFE within this farcical organization and its endless violations of the general populace.

Nice to see some of the culprits and ringleaders being exposed for a change, although I seriously doubt that much will come of it outside a mild slap on the wrist---However if that was joe blow public, i.e. you or I, we know such activities would have dire consequences. Heh

www.post-gazette.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

...Homeland Security couldn't find any other private firm with the Terrorism Institute's unique skills.

That's rich!!!!

I wish we could have a crack at seeing the relationship between the "Terrorism Institute" and KWG Consulting.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
He is a public official and should either resign (or be fired) or explain what he did and why he did it to the people of PA and their fellow Americans. This guy, who was intrusted with securing the people from terrorism, instead brought terrorism on the people and with their own money. In fact, depending on his explanation and whether it holds water, I wouldn't be against a criminal probe. Usually, "no-bid" contracts have nefarious roots.

Although they say that the company was "unique" to the requirements, it's usually the other way around, where the requirements become unique to the company lobbying the official. It happens all of the time. You first pick the company, then pick the requirements to fit only that company, thus you *justify a "no-bid" contract.

--airspoon

edit on 17-9-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
goes into hiding huh ???
If he's got nothing to hide
why hide??? (pun)

spoon is right about how these no-bids are done.
Kinda reminds me of Halliburton and Carlyle Group
during the 1st and 2nd Gulf War.

And the excuse we got 10 yrs ago was the very same:
"they're the only ones who can do the job!!!"

It's pathetic !!!!

It's all part of the Protocols for Zionism.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I'm very confused here. I read the whole article and fail to see the controversy. Sure it was no-bid and the company might violate people's privacy a bit but why is this guy getting grilled?
I don't want to defend this man or this Terrorism Institute but what's the issue here?
Besides, the contract is only $100k. Aren't there bigger fish to fry?

edit on 17-9-2010 by Moonsouljah because: fixed grammar

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Im am sure you will understand, just read this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Looks like he was heading up some draconian unconstitutional behavior.

He may get sued, and there is a group demanding the DoD look into it.

Lawsuit planned after protesters put on terror list

An activist who believes he was improperly included on a state terror threat list said this morning he is preparing a federal lawsuit.

"When people's civil rights are trampled it's a federal issue," said Gene Stilp of Harrisburg, who holds a Virginia law license but does not practice as an attorney.

Gov. Ed Rendell, speaking Downtown this morning, said he does not believe activists' Constitutional rights were violated.

The statement was a reversal from what he said yesterday. Asked in Harrisburg on Tuesday whether monitoring activists was "tantamount to trampling" on their Constitutional rights, he said: "I would say so."

www.pittsburghlive.com...

Dont hold your breath....

edit on 17-9-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Why hasn't Rendell fired him? People miss the bigger picture. If that company was observing the groups that Rendell apologized to, then odds are that they were watching groups like the Tea Party, religious organizations, conservative political organizations and veteran's organizations. I'll take any and all bets that Rendell had no problem with them keeping an eye on the groups that I just mentioned, it was only when these other groups found out about it and Rendell started taking heat that he threw HIS appointee under the bus.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Yes, what you are saying is true...the really funny (or not so funny and kind of sick) fact about this story is this only became an issue when Rendell's OWN meeting, with his supporters somehow ended up on the list.

That, is when he went public about it. Makes you wonder...

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it fully but that makes alot more sense.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

, it is a bit convoluted...
It seems Rendell was happy to pay his Security Director, untill his own contituents landed on the list.
Someone must have called it to his attention. I dont suppose he meant it to turn out this way...

new topics

top topics

join