It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ozone layer depletion has been stopped, according to U.N. scientists.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Ozone layer depletion has been halted

GENEVA: The protective ozone layer in the Earth's upper atmosphere has stopped thinning and should largely be restored by mid century thanks to a ban on harmful chemicals, U.N. scientists said. The "Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion 2010" report said a 1987 international treaty that phased out chlorofluorocarbons (CFC) - substances used in refrigerators, aerosol sprays and some packing foams - had been successful.

Well this is good news, but has depletion really ceased? So if depletion has stopped, there's only one thing the Ozone can do which is restore itself? I still have my doubts that depletion stopped. Maybe slowed down, but i'm no scientist so I can't really say.

The 300 scientists who compiled the four yearly ozone assessment now expect that the ozone layer in the stratosphere will be restored to 1980 levels in 2045 to 2060, according to the report, "slightly earlier" than expected.

CosmosMagazine.com

---------------

Im really curious, and would like to know what the ATS Community think's about this.

-Thanks.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Snapshot of the Antarctic Ozone Hole 2010

Image acquired September 12, 2010

The yearly depletion of stratospheric ozone over Antarctica – more commonly referred to as the “ozone hole” – started in early August 2010 and is now expanding toward its annual maximum. The hole in the ozone layer typically reaches its maximum area in late September or early October, though atmospheric scientists must wait a few weeks after the maximum to pinpoint when the trend of ozone depletion has slowed down and reversed.

The hole isn’t literal; no part of the stratosphere — the second layer of the atmosphere, between 8 and 50 km (5 and 31 miles) — is empty of ozone. Scientists use "hole" as a metaphor for the area in which ozone concentrations drop below the historical threshold of 220 Dobson Units. Historical levels of ozone were much higher than 220 Dobson Units, according to NASA atmospheric scientist Paul Newman, so this value shows a very large ozone loss.

Earth's ozone layer protects life by absorbing ultraviolet light, which damages DNA in plants and animals (including humans) and leads to skin cancer.

Antarctic Ozone Hole 2010

No wonder ice caps are melting at an alarming rate. The "hole" nearly cover's Antarctica. We are in the months were it is usually at it's peak so that could be the reason.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The Ozone hole is not caused by Ozone depletion, but by pressure from the solar wind, per a Chinese scientist.
Source

The recent decrease in solar activity has decreased the solar wind, thus shrinking the Ozone hole. Simple cause and effect.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
www.americanthinker.com...

I have to echo the above posters. I think it was all a big scam as well. Under the Montreal Protocol - China and India did not have to ban CFC's until 2010. And scientists are even now wondering why the ozone layer "recovered" so quickly.

www.nasa.gov...

I think it all had to do with solar winds as well and was completely normal.
TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

The Ozone layer (and hole) has little to do with heating the surface or the lower atmosphere.
It's the other end of the light spectrum which does most of that, infrared and visible light rather than ultraviolet.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is total BS. They want you to believe their actions helped so that the carbon tax will be a little easier to swallow.

It may be improving, but i suspect it is another ebb and flow of nature thing. Regardless, there is nothing to give me faith that these people aren't trying to screw me over, and using increasingly intricate scams as their lube.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Oozii

O3 can be produced, by exposing O2 to "Ultraviolet light", as well as by electrical discharge and even chemically.

As O3 is “unstable” you can’t "Store" O3 (as a gass) and has to be generated on sight.

Because the Polar areas have a much longer Night periods than say at the Equator, there is little or No "Ultraviolet light" during the Polar nights, so less O3 is being produced in these Polar regions.

The so called "Ozone hole" seems to be more Politically Controlled, rather than by Natural Science.... LOL.

The density of "Ozone" in the "Ozone layer" is so rarefied, it would have little effect on anything.

I am Not sure of the distance between each O3 Molecule in the "Ozone layer", but it may be in terms of meters or even Hundreds of Meters.

Phage” can probably tell you…

But perhaps energy is given up, in the formation of O3 by Ultraviolet radiation ???
But this would be very, very small I suspect.

edit on 17-9-2010 by The Matrix Traveller because: add words.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
well i hope so, the build up off space debris was becoming a major concern.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
it was starting to cause some real problems, this site covers it quite a bit in terms of global cooling

Mod Edit: Please see Terms And Conditions Of Use 4) Advertising. Thank you - Jak

edit on 19/9/10 by JAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I've never read so much ignorance on ATS. Yes, solar radiation reacts with O2 to cause a cycle that eventually produces O3. Yes, the exact amount of ozone depends on natural cycles. But solar radiation also reacts with CFCs, forming Cl- free radicals, which interrupt the whole cycle to form ClO, and in turn oxygen, O2, rather than O3, thus depleting the ozone (O3). The compound takes a while to leave the system. And unless I'm mistaken, I thought the Treaty only allowed third world countries that depended on CFC materials for their economy to use them until 2010? Also, ozone depletion would cause the global temperature to cool. However, having the ozone continually deplete and have UV rays sterilize this Earth is a little worse than global warming. The melting polar ice caps are due to global warming, not ozone depletion. Increasing skin cancer is due to ozone depletion.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
When O2 is exposed to UV, O3 is produced.

It is impossible to Store O3 as O3 is unstable and rapidly returns to O2.

The more UV the more Ozone is produced.

When the Polar regions are in the Night period, O3 is Not being produced by O2 being exposed to UV, so a so called "Hole" appears in these areas, during their Winter Night.

If we produce Industrially, (by Controlled Electrical Discharge) such as in "Ozone Generators" for air purification systems used in Hospitals and in Water purification etc., Ozone has to be "Generated on Sight", as Ozone (O3) is unstable and rapidly returns to O2.

Secondly; O3 is so rarefied (i.e. the molecules being so far apart) in the so called Ozone layer, it would have little effect on Sun Light, if any appreciable affect at all...

edit on 21-9-2010 by The Matrix Traveller because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join