It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share your local phrases / sayings / colloquialisms. Things that your grandparents used to say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I was just wondering if any of you lovely ATS people had any unusual local phrases or saying that are peculiar to the particular area the you come from, especially if they are from your parents or grand parents.

My grandparents from both side are from the East end of London (cockneys) and they had a very particular way of speaking that just doesn't exist anymore, they would reel off bizarre saying in conversation that wouldn't be understood by anyone today unless you grew up in that area in that particular time.

Phrases that I remember my Grandmother using.

1 "She / He used to chew bread for our ducks"
Yes this is a really odd one, but it would be used if you were talking about a person that my Grandmother had never heard of i.e Do you know Lady Gaga "Oh yes of course! She used to chew bread for our ducks"

2. "It's black over Wills mothers way"
This phrase was used by my Gran when she looked out of the window and saw storm clouds in the distance.

3 "As black as Newgates knocker"
Another phrase used to describe storm clouds referencing the gates of Newgate prison in London

I will try to think of some more, my grandmother was a goldmine for these kind of things.

This way of talking in the East end has more or less completely vanished and I feel hat it's somehow important to keep a record of such strange obscure colloquialisms, I would really like to know some of yours!

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

When I was little and I needed a seat, if I asked my great aunt, she would always say, "sit on your fist and lean back on your thumb." Back then I had no idea what she was talking about, but of course now I know that it would make a little chair. Also, when I was being hyper she'd call me a "maggot in hot grease."

Old ladies seem to come up with the oddest phrases, don't they?

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I almost feel robbed, the only colloquialism that I can recall of any flavor was from an Aunt who was born and raised in Atlanta, Ga. When she thought that you weren't being completely honest, she would say "Bull (insert appropriate expletive here) and peanut butter."

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

My grandparents said that and we live in TN. Must be a southern thing. Got the answer "horse $#.! and brown sugar" when asking what's for dinner as well.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
"[expletive] fire and save matches, [expletive] a duck and see what hatches."

It's an interjection, of sorts.

Also, the word "ruined" is pronounced "rurnt," and any carbonated beverage is "a Coke."

-TheAssoc.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

My gran had one similar to that she would say "sh** with sugar on" or sometimes "Air pie and a run around"

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
On especially chilly days, when asked what's it like outside...

It's colder than a welldigger's a** out there

Given that I had a very high metabolism and would often out eat grown adults...

I swear there's day I think you'd eat the a** end out of a skunk

When I was being mischievous, and they were watching me while my parents were away...

If you don't knock that off right now, I'm going to stick a sock in your mouth and put you under the kitchen sink until they come to pick you up

there were times I think she'd have actually done it too.

posted on Sep, 13 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

My grandmother used to encourage us to eat with
"Better belly bust than good food wasted."
Always a good excuse for a second helping.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
"GET THE **** OUT OF MY WAY"
- Taxi driver in Manhattan.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Granny would always say "If you can't sh*t in yer shoe it ain't yours.'

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by inchworm

I knew you would have a good one Inch!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by inchworm

Worm I liked that
My grandmaw allways said my belly button was rubbin a blister on my back bone that means I was starvin to death

Or

I feel like a half sucked sow on my way to a boar hogs funeral that means I'm tired
edit on 2-1-2011 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
"It's comin' up a cloud". Means it's about to storm.

My grandmother had a vegetable garden, and I loved it when she would let me work with her in it.
I never wanted to leave it.

I still have a clear vision of her standing in the garden, looking up at the sky with her hands on her hips, saying "looks like it's comin' up a cloud. We need to head back to the house'.

Oh well. I guess you had to be there. lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Some o us still say "its comin up a cloud"

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

lol! Do you? I haven't heard it since my grandmother died.

I like it though.

Think I'm going to start sayin' it.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I just remembered another one of my grandmothers, if she was really hungry or thirsty she would say "my stomach feels like my throat's been cut"
Gruesome

Then there was "it's cold enough to freeze the balls off of a brass Monkey" which actually is not as rude as it sounds
edit on 3-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I still talk the way i was raised and half the time no one has a clue what im sayn it gets funny like this weekend i told a guy i saw a catymount which is a panther
sorry about the reply im in BFE this week and all i got is this dang blackberry
edit on 3-1-2011 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Good for you!
Anything to stop everyone turning into one big homogenised lump that all speak look and act the same way! What's the point in travelling if everywhere you go ends up being the same as the place you left

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Isn't it amazing how simple things were? Now if I want to know if it's comin' up a cloud, I turn on the weather channel, or try to find weather maps and radars. But, at least we know what kind of cloud with more precision.

Never heard your word for panther. We have "mountain lions" and "bob-cats". I'm not sure what they really are, I've never seen one. They might be catymounts, too. ha.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Remember when I was little kid being told don't pick your nose or your head'll cave in!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join