It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This election will ruin the US

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
There is a looming crisis that young people have no concept of. The baby boomers are getting ready to retire soon. When that happens and they start looking for their social security, the coffers are gonna empty quick.

I agree with you here ECK, but I submit it is this attitude of entitlement that is to blame for this. Once again, who promised anyone a retirement, or a troublefree economy? Oh, that's right, the Democrats did! But, I guess I missed the part of the Constitution that promised to take care of everyone's financial well-being.

I have paid into social security for my entire working life. I don't ever expect to see a cent of it. I resent having to pay it, and would opt out if that were possible. But one thing I will never expect this country to do is support me. That is not the Govenment's job. It's mine.

American that think they are owed something need to grow up and start figuring out that. You are not guarenteed happiness or success, just the liberty to persue it. Then it is up to you.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Hey - no problem!

Regarding the post above mine.. This economy sucks. I don't care what the media is currently saying. In all my working years, I've never seen things so bad. This administration thinks flipping burgers is manufacturing. Have you ever heard anything more ridiculous?

DEFICITS! Thanks George W. and the war machine! We have deficits, or chains around us, for the remainder of our lives and our children's children's children's lives now.

We are all slaves of the IMF. Hail the plutocracy!
How long you been working? 2 years? Everything, and everyone knows the economy is better today then just a few months after 9-11. 1992 was another time worse for unemployment rate, 1982-83 was a WAY worse time for the economy, the mid 70's was even worse.

And thats rich,, the media is just saying the economy is good, because why? They like Bush? LOL The media hates Bush(besides FOX), and this administration why would they start patting them on the back now?

Social Security is a crock, from day one, it was a bad plan. Here are a few reasons why I say that.

In 1935, when it started.
1. Millions of Americans retired, and never payed the tax(cause it wasn't around). Yet got retirement benefits
2. The fact of cost of living and inflation wasn't very well considered
3. The fact that people migrate to our country, some close to 62, work a few years, then get Social Security.
4. It was not concieved or though of, that an influx of our population would happen as it did with the baby boomers, the baby boomers far outnumber the generation before them, and after.
5. Americans were given the feeling that Social Security was going to take care of them, so we had multi generations of people NOT setting up retirement funds.

I'm 28, I know I'll never see anything I payed in Social Security, I know that, and I will teach my kids that. Just like my parents taught me. I've been putting $100 dollars a month into a life insurance/retirement fund since I was 20, and I will continue to do so, by the time I retire I will be a multi millionare just off that fund(atleast I should, barring a stock market crash *crosses fingers*knocks on wood*).

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound

I agree with you here ECK, but I submit it is this attitude of entitlement that is to blame for this.

Attitude of entitlement? If I work hard and save MY money over the course of my life, that is MY money and I am entitled to it. It is not an
attitude. It is mine.

Once again, who promised anyone a retirement, or a troublefree economy?

When you work X amount of years and retire, that is called RETIREMENT. It's the way it's worked for a couple hundred years now here in the U.S.

Oh, that's right, the Democrats did! But, I guess I missed the part of the Constitution that promised to take care of everyone's financial well-being.

There is absolutely nothing partisan about this subject. Why start sniping at Democrats? Republicans and Democrats both get retirement.

I have paid into social security for my entire working life. I don't ever expect to see a cent of it. I resent having to pay it, and would opt out if that were possible. But one thing I will never expect this country to do is support me. That is not the Govenment's job. It's mine.

Ya gotta love that "rugged individualism!" You would be quite sorry without it. I don't know how long you've been working, but I'm unsure of whether or not you've ever gone without.

Here's a little story.. And it's true, btw. My father railed against the social security system. He said it was the biggest sham that's ever been pulled on the U.S. Of course, he came from an elite family and although he worked just as hard as the next guy, he never knew what going without meant.
When I was five, he died suddenly. My mother re-married a slightly younger man who eventually went through every penny my father left us. By the time I was in high school, shizithead was off in Florida for weeks at a time bein a playa and my mom had to pay the bills with the social security checks my little brother and I got each month. Were it not for that, we would've gone hungry. Her husband cared only for himself and could not be relied upon, for anything. I can't help but wonder what dad would've thought if he knew this.

American that think they are owed something need to grow up and start figuring out that. You are not guarenteed happiness or success, just the liberty to persue it. Then it is up to you.

Americans need desperately to quit listening to that uberQuack RUSH LIMBAUGH!!!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You've got to be kidding me!
The media hates BUSH?
They became his big cheerleaders before the Iraq war! Were it not for the media's complicity in promoting the administration's view, there's absolutely no way America would've gone along with it. Wake up.

So how long have you been in the work force?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
ECK, I've been in the workforce for 25 years. I have been poor. I have been homeless. I am a high school dropout who educated himself instead of relying on the system to do it. Dispite that I still attended Collage. I have lived at 8000ft elevation on the side of a mountain for years with no running water and electricity.

There is nothing you can teach me about hardship. There is nothing you can teach me about hard work and I still maintain that too many Americans have the idea that they are entitiled to a living just for being born. I believe that the Democrats perpetuate this attitude by using class and racial differences to keep the American people divided, unhappy and dependent on the Government.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

You've got to be kidding me!
The media hates BUSH?
They became his big cheerleaders before the Iraq war! Were it not for the media's complicity in promoting the administration's view, there's absolutely no way America would've gone along with it. Wake up.

So how long have you been in the work force?
ECK, have you ever tried to argue with someone that is delusional, and continually forms reality to what they want to believe? I have, and I will not do it again, so I'm done with you. When/If you decide to look at the world through educated, un-bias eyes, I would like nothing more then to debate with you. Until then have fun in your world, it's not the same one we all live in.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Why is Bush here anyways, I mean his father and anyone who even looks at him must realise he's not all with it. So one might think he's president for a reason, like to take the fall and I think his father is in on it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join