It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Celebrating Muslim Eid Today 9/10/10 as an Ambassador of Good Will II

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Today marks the beginning of the most important Holiday in Islam, Muslim Eid ul-Fitr, most commonly abbreviated simply as Eid.

I had never heard of this Holiday until last year when CNN did a piece on it. I had heard of Ramadan the Holy Month of Fasting, but not Eid the three day festival of feasting and gift giving that follows it, which is like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Years all rolled into one three day holiday.

When CNN did it’s piece last year it described the way the Holiday is universally celebrated in Islamic Countries then went on to mention that many Muslims in the United States were sad the Holiday didn’t have the same kind of universal joy here in America.

The political climate was very different last year, the Park 51 Community Center controversy and Terry Jones burn a Quran Day sure has created a very different climate this year.

One that’s hard to fathom in many ways since nothing has really changed between last year and this year, to warrant the wave of increasing religious intolerance and bigotry that seems to be sweeping the nation.

What I discovered last year was two important things. One is that the Jewish Members of ATS were unhappy that I made no thread to mark Jewish New Years which begins at the same time. So Proto was a good boy this year and made that thread earlier today.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Two was I discovered I was very warmly received and greeted by all the Muslims I set out to wish Happy Eid to last year with simple gifts of nuts, fruits and pastries. They all gave me something in return, but best of all were the smiles that lit up like Christmas Trees when they realized a non-Muslim, long haired, aging hippy degenerate American like me, knew it was their most important Holiday and cared enough to wish them a Happy Holiday and celebrate it with them.

Many of them said it was the nicest Eid Gift they had received. I even got a call from a couple of Muslim clients this year who I had wished a Happy Eid last year, inviting me to their family and mosque’s festivities.

They aren’t trying to convert me, just show their own appreciation and respect that their culture and traditions are respected by me.

I managed to get people all over the world, non-Muslims and many non-religious people just like me to give it a try to through last years thread, and they all had wonderfully similar experiences of lots of smiles, and lots of gifts and learning more about their neighbors in return.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

At a time when religious tensions are escalating needlessly, it has people on all sides of the religious and national divide feeling a bit insecure and concerned right now.

What better way to help ease those fears, not just your Muslim neighbors and associates and friends, but your own too by reaching out, and building some bridges, sharing some well wishes, and learning more about them, as they learn more about you.

If ever there was a time to do this, it is right now, and if there was ever a time to impress upon Muslims you want to live in peace and mutual respect with them, and see the most wonderful aspect of who they are and their religion it is right now during Eid.

The Holiday lasts three days, and just like last year’s thread I am going to share my experiences over the next three days while I make my rounds playing Eid Clause, and I urge other loving and open minded members and souls to do the same and share it here.

We have a lot of examples of bad on both sides of the divide, lets give the world together some examples of good on both sides.

Happy Eid everyone!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Excellent excellent post! Ina time when folks are all too eager to generalize and feed their own paranoia, how refreshing to find someone actually willing to the do the RIGHT thing, the HUMAN thing, the DECENT thing. I wish I knew some Muslim folk so I can tell them not to worry, there are a few people still around that understand the concept of "Love Thy Neighbor" (this coming from an Atheist!

Don't buy into the hype people, seek out understanding and compassion, you will find the truth!

edit on 10-9-2010 by Gigatronix because: typos!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigatronix

Thank you my friend, and isn't it funny it sometimes takes us Athiests and Agnostics to encourage those who have religion to better consider getting along and doing the very things their texts talk about.

I have a few Muslim business clients but I also made a mental check list of Shop Owners and Counter Clerks that I knew where Muslim and visited them first last year since I knew it had to suck working on their most important Holiday.

It was a little akward at first, I was not sure how I would be recieved, if they would think I was a nut, but everyone was so gracious about it and happy, I was looking forward to who was next on the list. It was kind of like playing secret Santa!

One of the most positive over all experiences I have ever had in my life. Well worth the time and effort and expense.

Thanks for posting friend!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I liked what you did but do you think they will think of you at or other people at christmas.

Sadly I think not.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpmail
I liked what you did but do you think they will think of you at or other people at christmas.

Sadly I think not.

Yes as a matter of fact, my Muslim clients always call me to wish me Merry Christmas, and Happy Fathers Day, and Happy Fourth of July, and Happy Thanksgiving too.

They amount to about 12 of my 300 plus mostly hispanic and black American clients. I live in Miami which is in fact so ethnically diverse along almost even percentages black, white, and latino a lot of people who live here are very culturally sensitive in order to get the most out of living in such a diverse city.

Now a number of the shop keepers I gave Eid presents too, gave me something then when it was Christmas.

All I can say is that putting the first step forward is the only way you are going to find out whether your own pre-concieved notions are true or not.

Everyone is a human being, and it simply boils down to whether they respect you or not. Lots of Christians I know don't wish me Merry Christmas, I don't assume that's because they don't like Christmas, I assume its because they either don't like me enough to do so or have enough time to do so.

So yeah absolutely if people like you, if they know it's an important day to you, whether it's a holiday they celebrate or not, they wish you all the best.

Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you. If you want those of different faiths to wish you well on your holidays, then yes by all means wish them well on theirs.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Happy Eid ul-Fitr to any Muslims out there. I think all major religions and non-religious need to make an effort at showing love for our fellow man.

edit on 10-9-2010 by LAinhabitant because: Sp

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LAinhabitant
Happy Eid ul-Fitr to any Muslims out there. I think all major religions and non-religious need to make an effort at showing love for our fellow man.

edit on 10-9-2010 by LAinhabitant because: Sp

Brilliantly said and thanks for doing just that. You are the first visitor to both the Jewish New Years Thread and the Muslim Eid Thread! I applogize for not knowing the exact name of the book, but my friend Yischair would definately say your name will be written in it to enjoy a happy and prosperous New Years.

Happy New Years, and thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I am glad to be proved wrong thank you for replying.

It would be great if this was the norm instead of rare. Here in the UK local councils don't send out christmas cards they are seasons greatings or the local nativity plays and displays are banned for fear of offending someone.

Give it a few months and the UK news will be full of people doing stupid things incase they offend or someone claiming to be offened.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jpmail

It matters not if anyone remembers me or reciprocates. It's not all about "me, " it's all about "we." The more we all take our focus off of "me" the better the world will be for "we."

edit on 10-9-2010 by LAinhabitant because: I corrected my punctuation if you really need to know .

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well I am off to the grocery store to pick up some nuts and fruits and pastries and make my first Eid stops by a couple Muslim Shop Keepers in the neighborhood.

I am interested to see if they remember me from last year and make mention of it when I swing by to wish them Happy Eid.

Bags of nut, fresh fruit, and boxed pastries seemed to be an appropriate gift to partake in the customary gift giving.

One thing that's interesting about Eid is that charity is a big part of the day, poor Muslims even in the poorest nations, traditionally are given enough food and money by their Mosque, local community or some wealthy patron to make sure no Muslim goes without the ability to feast over Eid.

It's taking our own Soup Kitchen Turkey Dinners on Thanks Giving and Christmas up a notch.

While a lot of Americans misconstrue the word Jihad, Jihad is really just a chosen act of trying to honor the religion, their prophet and their God, so technically I am now engaging in an act of Jihad, my own struggle to make sure that the local Muslim Shop Keepers get some Happy Eid wishes and gifts while at work today.

The smoking gun some on ATS have long looked for Proto is a Jihadist! Because I am not a Muslim I can't be a Jihadist, but if I were a Muslim what I am about to do in going out and giving these gifts and greetings would actually be Jihad.

Eid is a great time to learn more about the Islamic Faith.

To eliminate some widely held false conceptions and preconcieved false notions about it.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Happy Eid.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well I am happy to report my firest two Eid stops went wonderfully, both were local stores I had visited last year, and the same people working, one of which smiled and came right out and said "I was wondering if you would be by again this year!" Nothing like establishing a tradition.

Of course that's by and large what most of religion is, traditions. Traditions celebrated with a human element as unique as each and every one of us makes our unique imprint on them. I scored big today at my first stop Lamb Kabobs! Oh was that ever delicious, and enjoyed some pleasant small talk, and smiles before heading off to my next stop. The man smiled and said "You again!" "God bless you" so I can definately say my efforts last year to be a Ambassador of Good Will on Eid were memorable to not just me, but the people I touched by reaching out in such a friendly way.

I have some more trips planned for later on today and again tomorrow. Like last year, I have not been beheaded, commanded to convert, or been given a gift of burning American flags or Bibles, just a lot of smiles and happy wishes and some great food.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Happy Eid to all my Muslim friends.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6597a199f460.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

That's a very lovely card Aquarius!

I would like to wish Oozyism here on ATS a very Happy Eid and thank him for the Eid Card he posted to my profile.

I hope it's a wonderful holiday season for everyone most especially for those in those parts of the world struggling with war and famine.

Hopefully there will come a day when all of us can enjoy the commity and kind spirit too few of us reserve for Holidays alone.

Celebrating our differences can be as fun as celebrating all the different holidays that have such special meaning and joy around the world.

Thanks for posting my friend.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Hopefully there will come a day when all of us can enjoy the commity and kind spirit too few of us reserve for Holidays alone.

Celebrating our differences can be as fun as celebrating all the different holidays that have such special meaning and joy around the world.

Thanks for posting my friend.

Thank you Proto, the above statement is very powerful, I pray that day will come in our lifetime, hopefully our young today will grow up in better World then what we have at present.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Thank you Proto, the above statement is very powerful, I pray that day will come in our lifetime, hopefully our young today will grow up in better World then what we have at present.

That's a very hopeful idea, creating a better future for our children.

I have to say I am saddened at the level of participation so far in both the Jewish New Years and Muslim Eid Threads.

Last year there were many more posters interested in reaching across the divide.

People are flagging them, starring them, but it's almost like they are afraid to post, to proclaim they are a member of these two religions, or to reach out and express an interest in understanding the people who practice them, if they aren't.

Current events have almost made it uncool to be one of the peacemakers, the bridge builders, the sharers, the teachers the voice of reason. I know such people are there, but I sense that some are afraid expressing such things will paint a big target on their back when peer pressure is running so high to be angry, distrustful and intollerant and point some kind of finger and make some kind of accusation.

We are great at asking and answering our own questions with precisely the answer we want for them, but really failing at asking the questions to the people we are rushing to hate and stereotyping. Guilty as charged, guilty without a trial.

I can't help but wonder as the smallest sect of Abraham and the largest gather with family and friends over this holiday if the timing of all these events is to give them something to talk about, think about, worry about, and fear, at a time when they are all coming together to communicate.

I sure wish we could all learn to communicate with one another, and talk with one another, instead of at one another.

What a difference that would make in our world.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
May every minute of your Eid

Be happy warm and bright..

May all your hopes and dreams

Turn out exactly right

Happiness at Eid is wished for You !!

E I D M U B A R A K

posted on Sep, 12 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I had a great time spending this afternoon with some Muslims, one of whom had invited me to join them at a mosque after I brought them a food gift Friday. It was interesting to be around people who follow a different religion than I, culture and dress. Being an American female I did not have a hijab or abaya to wear so I wore a dress and shirt that covered my body from neck to feet as a gesture of respect. I asked upon entering the mosque if there were any requirements other than removing my shoes and was told I needed a hijab prior to going into the prayer area. The women looked for one for me but couldn't find one so I was relegated to hanging out in the room with the women and small children or outside where the feast was going on. I was okay with that as it was very hot outside and I wasn't keen on putting a scarf on my head and keeping it pinned there.

I had a definite language barrier as many of the women were speaking either in Arabic or Urdu, one of the languages in Pakistan. They appeared leery of me, an outsider, being there. Most of the womens clothing was very colorful and pretty and some of the women were wearing makeup. Although this was an affair for families there was segregation of males and females both inside the building and outside with the children staying mostly with their mothers. The food was great although I couldn't tell you the names of much of what I ate besides some salad, chickpeas, rice, lamb,vegetables and square desert bar with a pistachio on top. Everything was delicious and the longer I was there the more people warmed to me being there and started smiling at me and doing things like offering me a plate, silverware and a napkin before it was my turn in line. The woman who invited me was very sweet and spoke English but she also had family there so I tried to mingle with others. I sat with a woman who was an "American Muslim". Apparently she'd married a Muslim and then joined the faith. She was able to answer a few of my questions and a man cleaning up answered a question I had about their belief about Jesus not dying on the cross. Small talk was made, the children were all given gifts and everyone seemed happy and content.

I left while the children were still receiving gifts and thanked the lady who invited me as I had other plans for the evening. I told her where I lived and she told me she may come to visit me at my home.

There was no violence, no book burnings, not even children yelling loudly. Everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves in a quiet manner. The American Muslim did bring up how she believed Hurricane Katrina was a punishment on New Orleans for the practice of voo-doo in the region. We discussed briefly the incident with Terry Jones. She attempted to tell me Islam wasn't violent so I gently told her my belief was there were intolerant radicals in all religions and she agreed. She also stated she'd divorced her husband as she could have no children, and he had remarried and had several children, some of which she had with her and whom she loved.

I am glad I made the effort to give to those of another religion and culture this weekend for in the end, it is I who was truly blessed.

top topics

join