It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs U.S.-China military exchanges may resume

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Signs U.S.-China military exchanges may resume

www.washingtonpost.com

Senior U.S. officials concluded a three-day visit to Beijing on Wednesday with both sides declaring that the talks have helped to steady the recently rocky U.S.-China relationship.

Among the most tangible outcomes of this week's talks are signs that exchanges between the two countries' militaries may resume in coming months. China suspended most military exchanges at the beginning of this year after the United States sold arms to Taiwan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
OK here we have the worlds two largest economies getting together to play [nice-nice] and have a resumption of Military exchanges. Doesn't this strike anybody as odd?

I'm glad both sides are talking but for what purpose? A little further down the article spoke to some heavy issues. Is there going to be some back door dealings?

"On Wednesday, Hammer said the three-day talks touched on many of those issues, including North Korea and economic differences, as well as Iran and global rebalancing. "

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 8-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: to remove an annoying extra "T" that wasnt supposed to be there when I mash the keyboard with my hairy knuckles when I type.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

hmmm, Well you know the old saying, Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. I wonder what the deal is? Did the Soviets and Americans have this type of military meetings? Besides Vietnam and other Proxy wars? Oh grats on making into the Top 50

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The US and China have a LOT more to gain by being friendly towards each other than being hostile.

Back-door dealings? YOU BETCHA!!! Such is the way of world powers.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The US and China have lots of common interests world wide. China and the US cooperated against the USSR it is no suprise they will work together in the future. China can count on the US looking after its interests overseas much as Japan does without having to spend the money to create the ability to project power globaly.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

That is a rather interesting perspective.
It seems that the Chinese want a friendlier relationship. This is from an article released yesterday.

China: U.S. relations 'sound'

BEIJING - At a time of tension in U.S.-China relations, a three-day visit by senior U.S. officials to Beijing began Monday with signs that Chinese leaders want to smooth over some key frictions. "Sound" and "stable" was how a top Communist Party official described the two countries' relationship while receiving the U.S. delegation

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

hmmm, Well you know the old saying, Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. I wonder what the deal is? Did the Soviets and Americans have this type of military meetings? Besides Vietnam and other Proxy wars? Oh grats on making into the Top 50

No , not really there was détente which basically meant the USSR and the US agreed that if war were to break out between the two both sides would annihilate the other taking the planet with us. Mutual Assured Destruction. MAD.

It seemed to have eased tensions during the Cold War

edit on 8-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: I wanted to type a reason here. I just love this new feature teehee

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Thanks Slay - interesting stuff. Have you had the chance to read The Next Hundred Years by George Friedman? He has some great insight into how the the dynamics of Chinese politics, geography, economics and population will come into play...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

I found this chart a while back that gives some insight into which direction the world is headed economically.
[If we survive]

It shows the worlds economic powers projected into the future.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/48f569d5d902.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I dont read anything into it...

Problem I see is that something is read into everything...

Talk of war its a thread
Talk of peace its a thread
No talk its a huge thread

Sometimes things are just as they appear..

I also think my point is made by the "missleading" headline..
(I know its not you choice Slay)

But "military exchanges" to most would mean an attack of some kind..

Guess it was a slow news day but papers have to be sold!!

edit on 8-9-2010 by CynicalM because: add

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

OK you may pass, Your member name says it all.
Go in peace.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

OK you may pass, Your member name says it all.
Go in peace.

Looks at yours, not going there

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I have never really liked speculative charts much, plus we all know were speculation got us during the recent economic crash. Events happen every day, be it natural or man-made that cause changes in history. Those charts really are speculation or prediction based on what is going on right now. If say, a war starts with Iran tomorrow then that chart would be completely different the following week. I do think these meetings are more like two corporations know they need to work together to further their own economic agendas. I think the Chinese have come to the realization that they need us just as much as we need them today. I also noticed there was no outlandish statements by any Chinese official like they would nuke us if we got out of line. Remember when they where making statements like that a while back.They were rather confident then. Either way it seems to be a good thing when calmer heads prevail.
Personally I would rather drink a beer with a Chinese man then kill him or vise versa.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Slayer69, I think we've been in a rather good relationship with China for quite some time. Keeping the propaganda out of things and looking at reality really helps. I have a friend that was on the plane that collided with the Chinese fighter in 2001. The crash happened, the Chinese pilot was killed and the US plane (navy Aries II, I think) was going down. They landed at a Chinese base on one of the islands (not the mainland from what he said) and the Chinese, having just lost one of their own, didn't fire on them. They were detained, and while being held on the top level of a hotel, they were interrogated. While they were questioned, it sometimes got rough, but he said it was mostly sleep deprivation. They were eventually released, but all of the intel equipment inside the plane was confiscated. They are normally supposed to throw it out of the plane into the ocean when aborting, but didn't have time in this case. The Chinese gained quite a lot of valuable intel equipment (cutting edge stuff) and some of our codes (which were immediately changed) when they gutted the plane.

While what happened was tragic, it could have been a lot worse than it was. Our personnel were returned to us without any visible signs of harm. It's been quite a while since I've heard from him, but I remember that story well. Just thought I'd share it with others here.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo

I think the Chinese have come to the realization that they need us just as much as we need them today. I also noticed there was no outlandish statements by any Chinese official like they would nuke us if we got out of line. Remember when they where making statements like that a while back.They were rather confident then. Either way it seems to be a good thing when calmer heads prevail.

I do recall a certain snippet released about how one of their top brass mouthed off during a political meeting between Washington and Beijing early in Obamas presidency. [In which the brass stated that China was going to be THE world power] only to have one of the Chinese officials brush it off as simply a "Military" mans thinking and ambitions and for the Americans to ignore him. Anyone here reading this recalls that?

I wonder now if there was a division within their ranks?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bpg131313

Yes, I remember the incident very well it was all over the news and everybody was up in arms over what it might lead to WWIII, Taiwan and The Koreas were brought up. In the end I agree that the US and China have too many similar interests than there are divisions. Simply put the US and China are for Good, Bad or Indifferent reasons are bed fellows.

top topics

join