It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SKS Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I am the new owner of a Yugo SKS, unissued rifle. I am looking for advice on stocks and scopes. My hope is to use it as a sniper rifle, but still use iron sights for shorter ranges.

Being a left handed shooter, I have found that it adds a lot of issues to some of the rifles that I have shot, so with the SKS I am concened about the shell deflector keeping my scope safe, but allowing every hot shell to bounce off my forhead.

Also, the wooden stock seems cumbersome, is there anyone out there with the Dragonov style stock on an SKS? How does it work for them? Or what stock would you recommend (from experiance).

I am not looking for a sales pitch, or I'd just go to a gun shop. I am looking for some good real-world advice.

Your help as fellow ATSers is, as always, invaluable! Thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You're in aftermarket heaven with an SKS.

If you can dream a build there are the parts to make it a reality.

www.combatstocks.com...

www.parts4sks.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I have read that changine magazines from fixed to removable causes feeding issues, is this still true? Or has the aftermarket community overcome this problem?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
IMO, you should pick up a bolt action rifle for sniper use. Use the SKS for what it was designed for, throwing lead in the general direction of the target. A sniper rifle is for putting the bullet through a specific part of the target, at long range.

The SKS is a post WWII self-loading carbine. Carbine and sniper rifle are not a match.

With add-ons you can make it look like an assault rifle, but it is still a semi-auto carbine.

edit on by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Personally i found with my sks the long range accuracy is not real great . I have kept mine as for short range usage. The long range weapon I put a 4x32 scope on is a 30 06 a re chambered German Mauser with a bull barrel . The bolt action for a sniper weapon is a better choice than a semi auto at longer ranges . Sniping 1 shot 1 kill lessens the need for a semi auto .

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

There's no perfect method for that change. It can be done but you'll end up with a half-tard rifle that jams and fails to feed or eject and even drops mags.

You're much better off getting some stripper clips and practicing to use them with a fixed 10 or 20 round mag. Trying to get it to accept AK mags will only ruin it.

The SKS-M and D type was originally manufactured to accept AK mags and does so very well.Trouble is they are sort of a "collectible" now and cost as much as a bottom barrel AK.

If you bought your SKS because you live in a state with some assinine AWB like CA or CT the SKS-M type is not legal in states with such an AWB. I know I went out of my mind trying to get one in CT or at least get a real answer to why I couldnt get one. In the end it was easier to just move to NH.

edit on by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I don't think the 7.62x39 is really that great for sniping, but a good after market stock to get would be a tapco six position stock. and for sights the max I would go to would be 4x zoom.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It's tough to go wrong with an SKS. However, if you have problems with the lefty issues, companies like DPMS make rifles (AR-15's) to order and have dedicated left handed setups that they call their Southpaw line.

The only drawback to going that route is $$$. But they do sell the Southpaw uppers and parts separately if you want to get into building your own black gun from parts or want to convert an existing layout.

Anyway, have fun tricking out the SKS. I saw some great configurations at my local gun show a couple of weeks ago.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
A SKS is not designed or intended for snipes the receiver is not designed for a scope but you can pic up after market dove tail attachments that bolt on. I have 1 SKS its a stock yugo. and is a good all around rifle for close range. My buddy has a SKS china with a dragunov stock that you have to sight in every other clip.
If I was going to mod my sks I would go with a bullpup by sgworks AWB laws still applies

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

A great idea and good looking stock, no doubt, but being a southpaw... Every shell would bounce off my head

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

nice for close range but for the "reach out and... touch" sell it and get a 308, or a30-06 M1 Grand, not the m1a1 30 cal nor the M14. If you need more than 8 rounds get a brit 303. just my o2 cents

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Seeing that the rifle has a max effective range of like 440 yards, indeed, short range to say the least (remember popping off 800 meter targets with the M-16 in Basic.

What type of optics would work well for this type of platform?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

here is what i would do type in sks scope and mounts in your search eng, and see what best style and price is in your taste. $50 and up you will be just fine.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
All of these options I list could be state illegal so check with your particular state before making such addons.
As for the stock question, the best idea I can think of is go to a gun store and hold a standard stock weapon as well as a thumbhole stock and a pistol grip style.
Whichever feels best you will probably shoot better with.
As for scope, there are not many options out there available to the sks without interfering with the stripper clips.
So you will probably have to give up one for the other.
As for detachable magazines, as someone stated above the good ones will cost you more than a good ak-47.
I had bought some knock offs and seating was a pain and a half, then I bought a 20 round fixed magazine that fed only on days that did not end in Y.
10 round fixed factory magazine for me from then on.
As for the left hand issue and owning a communist based, you will only be right handed type gun, …. …well you know by now a deflector is your only option.
Sometimes they deflect back to the breach and that sucks.
As for a sniping weapon I have shot mine from around 200 yards pretty darn accurate but the weapon was not designed to snipe.
Get a Remington 700 for that as they are pretty cheap nowadays and I would arguably say they are the best overall bolt action out there.
Inexpensive, lightweight, multiple calibers, ambidextrous, many aftermarket parts, Etc. Etc. Etc.
Not THE best but high on the overall scale.
There are better options out there other than what you have in a sks but I have a soft spot for mine as it is simply just a great gun, it is the Chinese answer to the Garand, of which I also have a soft spot for.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

I have been working on my Yugo for about 3 or 4 years now. For what it is worth, the SKS will never have medium to long range accuracy capability. I have even reloaded 7.62 x 39 to attempt it. It helps, but I was trying to make it something it is not.

Other people on here have linked to some awesome after market doo-dads for the SKS. TAPCO makes some very nice stocks (not floated or bedded). Do not bother with expensive optics. A trusty red dot will serve you well and will more honestly fit the operating parameters of the weapon

If you look at the rifle as an inexpensive(affordable), 30 caliber(ass kicker), short range(a little better than a club) weapon, you are on your way to a state of zen with the SKS.

Send me a PM and I will walk you through all the mods I have made to mine. Some were good, others were ill conceived. Just keep your vision for the weapon in line with what it was designed for. Happy Shootin'

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Bad choice for a sniper rifle. the sks and the ak both have too much barrel flex to be accurate past 50 yards, the are a close quarters combat weapon. you want a .223 or a .303 or a .308 or a .50. also if you are a big guy, you dont want to put a scope on that sks until you extend that stock out a few inchs...unless you like black eyes. but at 50 yards or less you dont need a scope any way, use open sights, thats how the rifle was meant to be used.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
first thing field strip it and clean. for extras go to www.cheaperthandirt.com...
I order alot of stuff from them and have always been happy with there service and prices. Sks is a great rifle. I have one in the bug out stash with 500 rds pvc piped and stored in a forest

wiki snip ---While early Russian models had spring-loaded firing pins, most variants of the SKS have a free floating firing pin within the bolt. Because of this design, care must be taken during cleaning (especially after long storage) to ensure that the firing pin does not stick in the forward position within the bolt. SKS firing pins that are stuck in the forward position have been known to cause accidental "slamfires" (uncontrolled automatic fire that empties the magazine, starting when the bolt is released). This behavior is less likely with the hard primer military-spec ammo for which the SKS was designed, but as with any rifle users should properly maintain their firearms. For collectors, slamfires are more likely when the bolt still has remnants of cosmoline embedded in it. The firing pin is triangular in cross section, and slamfires can also result if the firing pin is inserted upside down. Third party kits are available that can put old-style spring-loaded firing pins in SKS's that did not come with them, increasing the reliability and reducing the chance of slamfires.---

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

great site i thought cheaperthendirt was good.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
You all have been MOST helpful (as I knew the resident weapon-heads here at ATS would be)! I know there is more advice out there and I look forward to hearing it! Just thank you for this so far!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I have found Chinese SKS to be reliable to 300 yards. My activities are in brushy areas where there is rarely a longer line-of-fire than 200 yards. I've tried several scope mounts, but the only one that really works is an upper receiver specially made to take a scope. The actual mount sits up on stilts above the receiver, which means the iron sights can still be used. The reason it has to be raised is to clear the discharge of spent shells.

One thing about ammo: there is a tiny difference between 7.62 for military versus police specs in the soviet union. Military rifle ammo is not supposed to be hollow point, even minutely, or it violates the "Law of Land Warfare / Geneva Convention." But police ammo is for killing your own people and you are welcome to blast away with dum-dums. Some 30 round clips are made for the "hollow point" version, and are thus a mm or so to short axially to take military rounds. I been told this was because NATO claimed the SU was planning to use hollow points if combat ever actually occurred in Europe. So a "police" SKS clip may not accept "army" rounds. (Which is stupid, since it is the police rd that are not Geneva-compliant, and not vice versa).

Who knows, maybe that story is BS as far as attribution goes, but it IS true that some clips bought at gun shows, etc. will not receive a non "hollow point" round. And of course it isn't really a hollow point at all, just a dimple at the end where the copper jacket doesn't cover the point of the bullet. It might be the difference between Yugo and Chinese magazines. Oh well, I still discovered that not all my rd fit in every clip. ...

If you buy SKS clips, you might want to check them with non "flat tip" 7.62 rounds to see if that clip will fire them.

top topics

join