It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is going on with ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
A few weeks back the owners and moderators of ATS concluded that the site has been 'infected' by a group determined to disrupt the flow of civil debate. What has been done to rectify this? I ask the question, because after participating in emotionally charged threads regarding Islam, God and 9/11 I am left wondering why members with borderline fascist and bigoted views are allowed to continue to post.

Freedom of speech, I hear everyone cry. Yes, we are all entitled to free speech, but when that right is abused, then I think the owners of ATS should take action.

I write as I would speak to someone face-to-face and it is clear that a surge of posts and threads on this site are designed to provoke, not debate.

Has the mainstream media brainwashed us all to believe Islam is taking over the world? If so, then I hope certain members use this site to learn a little from the other side of the story, because many of the posts I read would suggest people are out for blood and fear Islam is about to destroy their world.

And another thing. There is a top-rated thread suggesting absolute proof for controlled demolition on 9/11. The video proves nothing and yet people are believing their own bull and damning others who dare contest it.

ATS owners and moderators: Is there a reason to allow the 'infection' or can you extinguish the flames before this site is ruined? ATS is a business and I understand that, but I think there is an alternate way to run things without the antagonistic posters.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
You can't force people to search for the real truth or even to believe it.

You can only provide it and if they actually care for it they WILL find it.

But once you start to force -any kind of truth- on people, they won't believe any of it even if it is real.

So, yes, freedom of speech is a good thing... not just for the people speaking, but for the people searching.

Boy, I wish I would remember this wisdom sometimes.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Schools back in session as far as I know( I hear the morning schoolbus).so I do not think its the kids, But one must remember that there only 2 months left to elections.

I think things will settle down in Dec or Jan

Respectfully,

~meathead

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I believe the moderators and owners of this site do a pretty good job keeping the flow of free speech alive and well on ATS.

I have had serious issues with the Mods before but all in all it is very fair and balanced.

You dont need to run faster then the bear you just need to run faster then the guy next to you----And I believe ATS ownership is doing just that.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

My issue is with posters who are out to disrupt and not provide constructive criticism. I know this site is a business based on page views, but some of the thoughts expressed recently are designed to provoke and not promote healthy conversation.

Edit: Maybe I have answered my own question. Provocation means longer threads which means more page views.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by LarryLove]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

My issue is with posters who are out to disrupt and not provide constructive criticism. I know this site is a business based on page views, but some of the thoughts expressed recently are designed to provoke and not promote healthy conversation.

Edit: Maybe I have answered my own question. Provocation means longer threads which means more page views.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by LarryLove]

I do agree with you in principle but when you start to censor it is a slippery slope.

ATS has rules and mods that is why it runs for the most part smoothly.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The thing is, I find it very difficult to keep my cool with people who post to incite racial or religious hatred. I have bitten my tongue so far, but we are all human and emotion can run the better of us sometimes.

I write how I would speak to someone in person and at the moment the 'infection' on ATS is more than grinding my gears.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

The thing is, I find it very difficult to keep my cool with people who post to incite racial or religious hatred. I have bitten my tongue so far, but we are all human and emotion can run the better of us sometimes.

I write how I would speak to someone in person and at the moment the 'infection' on ATS is more than grinding my gears.

I understand exactly what you are saying. And in the past I have even lost my cool and said things I regretted in the the middle eastern threads. And I was wrong for doing it.

My posts were pulled, rightfully so. That is my point the rules work for the most part.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I believe what you are describing here is ''trolling''.

I have noticed plenty of threads with provocative titles, but I think a lot of that is down to the poster wanting his thread to get the most attention, or stars and flags, rather than other reasons.

If you do feel as though someone is trolling, then I suggest you take this advice: ''Do not feed the troll !''.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Sherlock Holmes]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

I dont think anyone posts to PROMOTE racial hatred, it is only a reflection of the hatred they harbour themselves.

There is no " infection" on ATS, just people. No organzied effort, just a shared view.

Should these people be " censored" just because you don't like their opinion ?? Maybe they dont like your opinion, ... should they censor you ??

If you met fascists, and racists in real life, ..... who would take action then ?? such is ats.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
the problem is people are way too sensitive and they let things people say to them online actually affect their real life. if someone says something nasty to me on ats i don't go cry about it and call my mom and talk about it for three hours, i just chuckle and move on. some of you should just learn to do this. you must learn to accept the fact that not everyone has the same opinions and beliefs that you do. sometimes people also read into the things people say too much instead of realizing that it is basically tough love most of these people are showing you. when i talk to people sometimes i come off a little rude or loud mouthed but in reality i am just joking and showing affection in my own way. obviously if you are here you are a little brighter than the average individual and one of a small group of enlightened individuals. if you look through the sarcasm you will probably find someone who is just trying to joke around and relate to you in some way. instead of messaging the moderators and crying and making ten threads about how mean people are ruining the internet why don't you just grow a pair take up for yourself and your point of view and continue to contribute to the discussion?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Yes, in a sense, but it is more than trolling at the moment. ATS owners concede that the site has been 'infected' and I am wondering what is going to happen about this before the site gets trashed.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2weird2live2rare2die
the problem is people are way too sensitive and they let things people say to them online actually affect their real life. if someone says something nasty to me on ats i don't go cry about it and call my mom and talk about it for three hours, i just chuckle and move on. some of you should just learn to do this. you must learn to accept the fact that not everyone has the same opinions and beliefs that you do. sometimes people also read into the things people say too much instead of realizing that it is basically tough love most of these people are showing you. when i talk to people sometimes i come off a little rude or loud mouthed but in reality i am just joking and showing affection in my own way. obviously if you are here you are a little brighter than the average individual and one of a small group of enlightened individuals. if you look through the sarcasm you will probably find someone who is just trying to joke around and relate to you in some way. instead of messaging the moderators and crying and making ten threads about how mean people are ruining the internet why don't you just grow a pair take up for yourself and your point of view and continue to contribute to the discussion?

I dont mean to cry but could you please break that up a little next time.

I do agree with all of your points.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

Infection is a word used by the owners and moderators of ATS.

There was a thread a few weeks back and I am curious to find out what is being done about it.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Well well Larry i get the feeling that possibly your not in agreement with what may have been said in a recent 9/11 posting ...people DO NOT AGREE with each other on this issue....that is the point.

If we all agreed...then do you think that there would be any need for this site what so ever.

i was in the post of the 9/11 issue you could be responding on...and i found the video fairly informative. It may not be the smoking gun but it is a bit more towards what may be occuring.

Is Islam taking over the world...well that is also open to discussion and once again people DO NOT AGREE....that is why there is debate...WOW
suprise once again....

NOW god....holy crow...you have got to be kidding....has there ever in the time before time when god has been decided...people DO NOT AGREE....simple thing it is.

I will not give or assign a S OR an F for this moan.

if one does like the the responses on such undecided issues then why enter them. Leave it to people who can debate them...wether the information is well presented or poorly presented.

I think the staff of ATS do a great job...and everyday i am a member i gain more and more respect for them.

unless it is a downright personal attack or outright verbal abuse of a poster that is completely off topic....then that should be taken out...but if someones viewpoint does not meet my own then that is compelety fair as it is their opinion and they are equally entitled to it.

I am able to take what information out of it i want to...and then i can equally come up with a fair response.

life is not living under a nanny state where we need to be pampered and protected. GOD i personally am tired of the pollitically correctness gone bad.

Enjoy the knowledge...cause it is ALL knowledge wether it be good or bad.....the skill is in knowing the difference.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I believe that if people want to post anti religious or anti (insert fav subj) that is just fine, hell its a conspiracy site......

I do however think that if you decide to do so, you better be able to actually debate the issue instead of being obnoxious and rude.

The problem that I have is that I see a lot of well known posters out there, engaging in activities such as name calling, ad homonim attacks, and general disrespect.

Things that I have seen OTHER members get banned for, and sometimes for doing even LESS than said well known posters.

I agree that people slip up, and of course make stupid mistakes or dont think on occasion...

But the issue is the fact that its done repeatedly by the same people and you can see the track record, and they are allowed to continue.

This to me is the major issue that needs to be addressed here on ATS.

Maybe some of these people have friends that are Mods, maybe its because they share the same views, I do not know...

What I DO know is that it shouldnt matter, when Skeptic comes out and posts the rules and regs and what things need to change...then by God they need to be enforced......

And its my opinion that if the Mods cant fix the problem, get people who will.....

There is nothing wrong with having opposing views, and theres nothing wrong with debating them.......but to continue allowing well known members the ability to berate and belittle other members of this site, does not set a good example.......

[edit on 5-9-2010 by ManBehindTheMask]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

sorry but things like grammar punctuation and paragraph breaks slow me down and i can't afford to do that

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

No, you making an assumption that holds no bearing in this thread.

9/11 didn't instigate this thread. There's something going on with this site which doesn't make sense. The owners and moderators of ATS agree the site has been 'infected' by fascist, bigoted (call it what you will) posters who are out to disrupt and I want to know what is being done about it.

It has gotten worse over the past weeks.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yes, we are all entitled to free speech, but when that right is abused, then I think the owners of ATS should take action.

You’re the “borderline fascist”
Your freedom of speech is freedom to say anything you permit, you decide is not offensive to your fragile logic. That’s not a freedom, it’s an ideological control.

The concept of “offensive” and “freedom do not belong together. The political correctness of the 80’s-90’s (which btw is going to backfire, spectacularly) never has any say in determining "abuse of speech". In fact the only abuse of speech I accept, is mindless verbal abuse.

The video proves nothing and yet people are believing their own bull and damning others who dare contest it.

Plainly ATS needs to appoint you as “Conspirator of Information”. That way if anybody make poor quality-antagonistic posts, they could log onto your profile first, so not be subverted.
Meanwhile (the other 99%) of ATS could carry without the benefits of you-your perceived ideologies wisdom.

ATS is a business and I understand that, but I think there is an alternate way to run things without the antagonistic posters.

Plainly ATS needs to appoint you-someone like you, as “Conspirator of Thought”. That way all the offensive-agonistic members (like me) could be banned, and their details filed to the nearest Ministry of Justice (“all for the benefit of society, of course!”).

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

You prove the point.

2nd line.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join