It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is a UFO forum right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Maybe this moan-sesh is a bit unnecessary but stay with me on this one.

I joined this forum only recently, and for that purpose I'm not trying to change it just to suit my needs, but I do think there is a small issue here. Most, if not all new UFO threads here in this section get driven down straight away. I dare say "lanterns" is becoming the new swamp gas, as it does seem to be a catch-all criticism for all new UFO material. Now sure some people are over-zealous, and this works both ways. I'm not especially blown away by the people who spew out "challenge everything" but then fight you off at every turn if you question their desired outcome. Dig the Turkish UFO thread for example. The handler of the footage with his travelling UFO circus cannot be trusted for straight and unbias material. Nor can some flaws in the original footage be passed up. But instead of rational debate (although that thread had its fair share of saviours) a lot of people went down the "it cannot be a yacht, OMG it must be a UFO!!!!" line. Makes a change from the lanterns doubters, but at the same time to jump to it being a UFO is also a bit strong in those specific circumstances.

I've seen a few complaints about the stagnation of this area of the forum. Maybe it is because of the rabid dismissals that this forum does not see more traffic? Just my £0.000002.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manolete
Most, if not all new UFO threads here in this section get driven down straight away.

Such is the nature of the beast. In my experience, about 95% of UFO reports are either nonsense, hoaxes, or easily explainable.

What do you want, or expect? If it looks like a lantern and behaves like a lantern, it's probably a lantern. Put it this way - it's much, MUCH, more likely to be a lantern than an alien craft. There's no point wasting time on reports like those.

The only cases that are going to get any serious attention are those that are genuinely baffling. The rest are dumped pretty swiftly, and rightly so.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147What do you want, or expect? If it looks like a lantern and behaves like a lantern, it's probably a lantern. Put it this way - it's much, MUCH, more likely to be a lantern than an alien craft. There's no point wasting time on reports like those.

That is sort of the problem. It might not be an alien craft, and to assume it is is foolish. However it is only one definition of what a UFO might be. The idea of drone aircraft always appeals to me. Afterall if they are using drone aircraft to patrole the Mexican border, and in theory you could arm these things and attack people remotely, is that not significant? Could this technology not be used elsewhere? UFOs are a pretty esoteric subject, and to assume it is always the work of Aliens is, if nothing else, convenient as it removes all human association. However to accept them straight off as Lanterns is hardly a healthy option.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Manolete

Yes, but this forum is titled "Aliens and UFOs". If it was titled just "UFOs", you'd probably be correct. But the main interest is clearly extraterrestrial visitation.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 2010/9/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well that reels in the right people I guess. Or the wrong ones, who can tell. But for a forum with such a title is misleading. Perhaps "Virtual cold showers, the frank UFO evidence dismisal forum" would be better?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Yes but some here are actually E.ts, some people here can also talk to trees and some are from the future, i personally here for the humor

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Manolete

Manolete.....

I've seen a few complaints about the stagnation of this area of the forum.

On the one hand.....

I don't believe "this area of the forum" has actually become very stagnated.

On the other hand.....

I believe whatever "stagnation of this area of the forum" that has occurred can largely be blamed by the preponderance of extremely poor quality cases that are presented & the lack of willingness of many people to assess good quality information, discuss such information rationally & politely & arrive at logical conclusions.

Maybe it is because of the rabid dismissals that this forum does not see more traffic? Just my £0.000002.

”Maybe it is because of the rabid” believers ”that this forum does not see more traffic”.

”Maybe it is because of the" sensible & logical "dismissals that this forum does not see more traffic" that comprises the sort of poor quality cases & discussion to which I have alluded above.

I also wonder…..

Do we really need another “skeptics vs believers” BATTLE THREAD!.....?

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

While that may be the main attraction, i do not think that means that ufo=alien when it comes to this forum. Many people on this site like myself are very interested in ufo's and believe them to be real yet do not think we are being visited by aliens. It would be silly to deem this forum simply about alien craft imo.

[edit on 5-9-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Since this is turning into an other skeptics vs. believers debate without anything new being presented, please add your thoughts to the many many many threads already existing on this.

Closed.

[edit on September 5th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

top topics

join