It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colossal Squid Caught off Antarctica

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
How cool is this? really cool, i say..

source

Check out the photos, this squid is huge! It's bigger than a school bus at a whopping 43 feet..

February 22, 2007—In Antarctica's Ross Sea, a fishing boat has caught what is likely the world's biggest known colossal squid (yes, that's the species' name), New Zealand officials announced today.

Heavier than even giant squid, colossal squid (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni) have eyes as wide as dinner plates and sharp hooks on some of their suckers. The new specimen weighs in at an estimated 990 pounds (450 kilograms).

yes..it's old news but i never saw this one before..

[edit on 5-9-2010 by baddmove]

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/9/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Nice, Son Of Cracken ? LOL ..
43 feet, that is amaZing, glad I am not in a danger of meeting one of these bastards..

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Oh great, so we find something amazing, and instead of being satisfied with just a simple picture, we have to bring it on board and kill it so that our scientists can prove it exists.

Wow, ok people, I don't ever wanna hear anymore of you complaining about Grey Aliens abducting and probing you anymore. Why? because they see how we treat animals on earth, and have interpreted this behavior to mean that we are sincerely "interested in learning more about the species".

If you want to get to know more about a giant squid, then share a beer or a coke with it, don't trap it and freeze it to DEATH!!!!

C'mon People!
We're setting a really bad example!
We're suppose to be The Ambassadors of Peace and Love!!

[edit on 5-9-2010 by leira7]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Star an Flag!

I am so happy these creatures exist. A pity they killed it though.

For one thing, added the Auckland University of Technology professor, the squid would yield calamari rings the size of tractor tires.

Bloody humans eh?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Maybe it was responsible for the mysterious disappearance of Jupiter 6?

Jupiter 6 Mysteriously Vanishes With Crew While Towing Ship

Not likely, but you never know... maybe there are even bigger squids out there?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
Oh great, so we find something amazing, and instead of being satisfied with just a simple picture, we have to bring it on board and kill it so that our scientists can prove it exists.

"
The sea monster had become entangled while feeding on Patagonian toothfish (toothfish photos) caught on long lines of hooks. The crew then maneuvered the squid into a net and painstakingly hauled it aboard—a two-hour process.
"

Positive spin by the fishermen perhaps. They could've killed it instead of setting it free. Money incentive too of course - "we can sell this to scientists". "Lets freeze it to keep it in good condition etc. then negotiate a good price".

Also it doesn't look as big as a school bus that that little diagram shows.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
colossal squid caught

Looks like he grew 10ft from when it was first reported.

top topics

join