It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help A Homeless Man? = GET ASSAULTED AND GO TO JAIL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A woman noticed a homeless man that was surrounded by police, so she walked up to find out what was going on and began video taping the encounter. While she was determining if the homeless man was OK, police noticed she was video taping the encounter.

As soon as the police noticed she was video taping the encounter, they immediately attacked her tackling her to the ground.

The woman describes the incident, still bleeding from her encounter with the armed thugs.

"See the interview with her fresh from the jail blooded up and all. Savannah PD assault Momma Ally from Savannah's Last Biscuit for doing cop watch while cops detain a homeless man."

[edit on 4-9-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It is hard to make any real statement about this.. The footage of the incident is not available, so all we have is hearsay from one side.

I think it would be wise to wait for the footage to come out and allow the other side a chance to speak before anyone jumps the gun and starts screaming about how awful cops are....

That is the bottom line, we have one side of the story, and a claim that there is footage, but no footage is shown...

Not much to go on.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Interesting that this happened after www.thehomelessgirl.com... article got heavy linking on Twitter on wednesday.

edit on by ATSmediaPRO because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I didn't know there was such a thing called cop watch! Maybe every city should should have some form of cop watch group, especially after seeing so many abuse cases on the web. The camera can be a two way street, it's time people start pointing their camera's back at them. However..... this lady may be in the wrong if she was interrupting police, I don't think you can step in and check on their suspects... she should of keep her distance.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I typically don't believe three people, one of whom is a woman, that claim to have footage of government officials doing anything wrong.

Typically I don't believe the government does anything wrong until the government said it did something wrong, and even then, I don't believe the government did anything wrong.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
It is hard to make any real statement about this.. The footage of the incident is not available, so all we have is hearsay from one side.

I think it would be wise to wait for the footage to come out and allow the other side a chance to speak before anyone jumps the gun and starts screaming about how awful cops are....

That is the bottom line, we have one side of the story, and a claim that there is footage, but no footage is shown...

Not much to go on.

The footage is not going to come out, at least that is not likely. In the video, she shows the court's document of her possessions, and a video camera was not listed. So either she's lying about having a camera in the first place, or the police are intending to bury it - my magic 8-ball says outlook does not look good.

I agree, not much to go on. But I personally believe her, she sounded sincere in the interview and gave very specific details of what happened.

[edit on 4-9-2010 by Son of Will]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
another nail in the coffin
of public trust.
so sad

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
My question is this: Is there ACTUALLY a law that says we, as citizens, cannot film uniformed police officers in action? Is it something that would vary state by state? Even county to county?

Or is it just when a cop says 'Gimme that _____', and you don't, even tho there is no crime being committed, no law being broken, you're in for it because you didn't comply?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Hmmm.. well I was not physically assulted, but I worked in a kitchen here in my local area.. There are homeless folks who live in the forest behind my job.. So at the end of the night I would give them the left over food, we would have just thrown into the trash..

I was fired from my job, for giving homeless people food.. I was told it was a violation of my agreement to work for Mugs N Jugs.

Try to help the homeless with food that would be thrown in the trash.. You lose your job!!!

Such a loving world we live..

Where compassion is seen as a weakness.. And when you help those with less, you are the bad guy..
but I belive in karma.. so Im not worried about this..
Plus not to derail your thread.. Its sad..

There wasnt enough in the video for me to comment on to much..
Other than its a damn shame...

Theres alot of people out there hungry, without a home, and hurting..

Id do it again if I could, and any kitchen I work in, I refuse to trash food, I will give it to the homeless.. I guess thats why I go thro so many jobs..

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

It kinda speaks volumes that we don't have the footage available. The coppers wouldn't want us to see it.

reply to post by ThatDGgirl

No not in US there isn't.

[edit on 4/9/2010 by PsykoOps]

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

So....WTF is up with all this camera craziness? I've lost count of the vids I've seen where the cop is buggin' for the camera. Or asking a person to turn it off. Mostly, how do they get away with it time after time after time?

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

No idea.

It's criminal itself to snatch a citizens possessions for absolutely no reason.

If a crime was being committed they have the right to search her for weapons etc, but a camera, not used in conjunction with a crime, is not an unlawful or illegal item to carry or use.

I'd press charges against them for assault and battery, wrongful arrest, theft, and dereliction of duty.

If i were her, i wouldn't rest until the guilty received justice.

BUT..if she was obstructing the police, and ignored warnings to back off and stop impeding police carrying out a lawful duty, then she's at fault. The camera should still be returned though, in any case.

Wait for the video, IF it surfaces, we'll know more.

Individuals performing 'cop watch duties' is not going to work in the long run.
The police will just manhandle the camera operators, and 'accidentally' drop or step on the camera.

What is needed is an organized, mobile camera car/van type operation, much like the CCTV surveillance the police in the UK use.

They'd have a job justifying leaping onto a stationary car or van, and ripping the fixed cameras off then.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Help A Homeless Man? = GET ASSAULTED AND GO TO JAIL

Hearsay After Hearsay. Single-sided accusations and assumptions. Intentionally Sensationalized and Hyped OP ... geared to incite emotional and reactionary responses ... Prior to ANY factual substantiation of the claims made or asserted.

... police noticed she was video taping the encounter.

As soon as the police noticed she was video taping the encounter, they immediately attacked her tackling her to the ground.

As a Member:
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

mnemeth1,
You have quite the way of distorting an article, video or report to suit your means, purpose and/or agenda ... Anti-What ever it is.

Carry on, though ... as you will.

Peeling back the onion is one thing.
BUT ... this and other recent "efforts" are little mOar than transparent aspersions of one's own projections.

:shk:

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Someone needs to video tape someone video taping the police. That would be an interesting encounter. Then when the cops make up some story about the person being a threat you can reveal the other video tape that clearly shows they were not.

posted on Sep, 4 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Activist tend to do that alot.

Citizens are the only force that truly polices the police. That's why the cops hate cameras.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I hate to see this happen, but it happens often here in savannah.

I really hate to see it happen to anyone affiliated with Last Biscuit. What and awesome example they are, that you can make money on your own terms.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Why are these things still happening?
width="448" height="374"> "http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhlFjRumk6305QWj02" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="448" height="374">

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Well part of the video was posted on youtube. PINAC has the story and clip. Curiously enough the police woman wrote in her report that

Ms Shoaf had the camera in my face and I was using my hand to push it aside.

In the video the woman is walking backwards and the police woman is walking to her face and pushing her.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Yea that clip was pretty aggravating and that female cop is definitely just a brainless twat with no backbone whatsoever if she has to hide behind a badge and while she immaturely resolves her issues by force. Unfortunately these pigs (not derogatory towards police, but as those apparent "working professionals" as compared to REAL people in general) are beating on a homeless man, someone who deserves a job in his humble nothingness, while these police are clearly not deserving of any career whatsoever (that's why they are police) and they are arrogant and violent about how they handle their job.

I guess the only solution is to "get rid" of the police and let the homeless people control the country because they clearly have a much better grasp on what life is really all about.

edit on 9-9-2010 by Brood because: oops

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Well part of the video was posted on youtube. PINAC has the story and clip. Curiously enough the police woman wrote in her report that

Ms Shoaf had the camera in my face and I was using my hand to push it aside.

In the video the woman is walking backwards and the police woman is walking to her face and pushing her.

Yeah, but you can't walk up to a police investigation and start your own? That is just asking for trouble, she walked into a hornets nest and got what she deserved. This is not the right way to do a cop watch, in fact it gives the whole cop watch a bad vibe.... Do it the right way and catch the problems from a distance...not walk into it!

edit on 9-9-2010 by imitator because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join