It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome, 'Ring of Fire' forms around Supernova

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
This is startlingly beautiful and just got posted on the Hubble news center. The beauty and sheer size of this thing is amazing, a 6 TRILLION MILE WIDE ring of gas.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f9e7f865afc.jpg[/atsimg]

From the news source:

An international team of astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope reports a significant brightening of the emissions from Supernova 1987A. The results, which appear in this week's Science magazine, are consistent with theoretical predictions about how supernovae interact with their immediate galactic environment.

The team observed the supernova remnant in optical, ultraviolet, and near-infrared light. They studied the interaction between the ejecta from the stellar explosion and a glowing 6-trillion-mile-diameter ring of gas encircling the supernova remnant. The gas ring was probably shed some 20,000 years before the supernova exploded. Shock waves resulting from the impact of the ejecta onto the ring have brightened 30 to 40 pearl-like "hot spots" in the ring. These blobs likely will grow and merge together in the coming years to form a continuous, glowing circle.

hubblesite.org...

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What a beautiful and mindblowing post and photo. Thanks for this!

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Johnny Cash would be proud!

IRM

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Wouldn't like to fall into that though...

Awesome pic, S+F

Kyle

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
every relizes that 6 trillion miles is more then 1 light year right?
to make it even more oves for light starting from the sun to the last planet takes a little over two day .
so compare our system that has a 2 day light edge to a system that has a 365 day light to edge of system .
thats ----- 5,878,500,600,000 miles for 1 light year = very close to 6 trillion.
sun to Neptune 2,800,000,000

[edit on 3-9-2010 by xxcalbier]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Awesome picture! Thanks for posting this . The Size and complexity, and the sheer beauty of the universe is just astounding.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I love the way the universe works majority of the time. It pulls off some stunning things that when captured are simply breath-taking. Suddenly feel like painting pictures instead of drawing.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
OMG they killed kenny! heheh
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3e1c8f9eb91.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

Dam! That looks like a Christmas angel in the middle!

reply to post by xxcalbier

I think that's amazing, one light year is 5.88 trillion miles across, so this one supernova gas ring stretches for a whole light year. Stunning stuff...

And who says there's no architect!?

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I like the feint infinity symbol too. The figure 8 looping through the 2 stars and the ring in the middle. Interesting stuff.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reminds me of lying on my back
looking up at fireworks.

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Just gota bump this cause its so awesome . Kina blows my mind that we captured this butt looks like we did)

posted on Sep, 6 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The universe is amazing. I wish I could travel the stars and check out other planets and stellar phenomenon. I'm born in the wrong generation!

... or am I?

new topics

top topics

join